Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Have you ever had a captain (or FO) that makes up his own procedures?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Rules are rules. And the point is that you'd actually do that with a FAA inspector in the seat. By the book when a fed is in the seat. Rules are there for a reason.

Honestly, you'd be better off leaving it in the stow box if you're not going to put it on. If you get a rapid decompression and the mask slips to the floor (not unlikely in that scenario), you're going to be wasting time trying to find the hose and then the mask on teh end of it. At least in the box, you know right where it is.

U make a good point....It could also go out the window I suppose....I only flew lears and no one ever put the masks on for fear of how dirty they could be...I always put it on my lap just in case...luckily now I never go much above FL200.

Would like to go on public record of saying that I am not a GoJet Pilot....A couple of dudes that used to be GoJet had abused my passcode...and I admit I let them use it but it was before FlightInfo went to a 10 dollar fee...I fly a MU-2 out of SLC.

So flightinfo has passcodes now? Wow can I get a few twenties out of the ATM? Actually what would be better is getting about 20 one dollar bills so I can tip you (20 pilots) ....But you probably have already done that for a living.

I'm JUST JOKING!

So flightinfo has passcodes now? Wow can I get a few twenties out of the ATM? Actually what would be better is getting about 20 one dollar bills so I can tip you (20 pilots) ....But you probably have already done that for a living.

I'm JUST JOKING!

Yep....they each paid me big money to get in under my password....then they got upset when they saw that flightinfo was asking ten dollars for a lifetime membership....that was when they found out they could have had their own membership for free.

Rules are there for a reason.

Do you abide by ALL rules? Do you always drive the speed limit? I don't know anyone that follows ALL rules...most just pick the ones they agree with......

So what rules do you pick and choose? No annual ok lets go flying? Lets cut into the min reserve? (planned) Lets takeoff over gross? Lets go anyways even though the AD's are complied with? I have not flown in 120 days but lets go do a cross country with 3 passengers in the back of 182?

The point was.....FAA inspector in the jumpseat, the captain should have known better. And this was'nt a RJ or a TP it was a 757! Geez.

So what rules do you pick and choose? No annual ok lets go flying? Lets cut into the min reserve? (planned) Lets takeoff over gross? Lets go anyways even though the AD's are complied with? I have not flown in 120 days but lets go do a cross country with 3 passengers in the back of 182?

The point was.....FAA inspector in the jumpseat, the captain should have known better. And this was'nt a RJ or a TP it was a 757! Geez.

I agree that it was stupid in the jumpseat...But I don't know anyone that follows every rule the letter.....

Sterile cockpit? Write-ups? Regarding weight....I know many people that come up with kids or redo fuel to get a jumpseater on....

How about driving rules? Do you drive the speed limit all the time? If not why is that any different?

I just like giving the "follow the rules" folks a hard time....I have yet to meet one that follows every rule to the letter.....

On the after start check on the Saab one of the items is condition levers: Max.

We were going to reposition away from the gate and I called "Condition Levers" and the Captain called "Min" and proceeded to have them in the min position.

I am guessing he did this out of the thought of not blowing the rampers around?

Now I am pretty new I admit, but as far as I have ever known or read while you are in bottom governing it doesn't matter where you have it in the Min-Max range, it will still be the same result.

I didn't say anything about it...but I always have thought it was kind of weird.

Last edited:
I agree that it was stupid in the jumpseat...But I don't know anyone that follows every rule the letter.....

Sterile cockpit? Write-ups? Regarding weight....I know many people that come up with kids or redo fuel to get a jumpseater on....

How about driving rules? Do you drive the speed limit all the time? If not why is that any different?

I just like giving the "follow the rules" folks a hard time....I have yet to meet one that follows every rule to the letter.....

Well apparently you don't....But (and I should become a mod) the thread was about, "Have you ever flown with a captain or first officer that made up their own procedures and rationalized it." The rationalization is what is funny. So I'm guessing you are one of those captains or first officers so lets here your rational.

Bye

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back