Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Have you ever had a captain (or FO) that makes up his own procedures?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Rules are rules. And the point is that you'd actually do that with a FAA inspector in the seat. By the book when a fed is in the seat. Rules are there for a reason.

I agree. The immediate aftermath of a high altitude decompression will mean lots of alarms going off, extreme cold, frozen over windows, massive windstorm if it was a cockpit window that shattered, etc. No one is going to be thinking clearly for the first few seconds, and as short panic would be a perfectly normal reaction. Best to have it on, just in case, since it's only you up there.

Plus . . . you never know who's looking up from the back when the door opens to let the other guy in . . . .

I'm guessing that an explosive decompression at altitude might change your thinking on that. One of those things that almost certainly will never happen, but if it does, watch out. Anyone who's sure that he wouldn't be a bit discombobulated as the TUC clock started to count down is dreaming IMO. Besides, I always feel better after a few minutes of O2-it's as close to an antidote for today's scheduling practices as I've ever seen.

Capi, your right, but I don't think some of these kids will listen (pilotbrain, PCL_128).

The 3 min mark in the video is pretty telling.

With two or more people up front, hopefully someone will get there mask on quickly and most importantly, properly. When one of you recover (45 to 60 seconds later) fly the airplane.

Now with one person at the controls......hhhmm ...well lets just follow the rules ok.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8ooGY8Jbqw&feature=related

LOL.....

I was talking to FAA inspector (maint) that was jumpseating one of the pilots leaves the cockpit to go use the lav. No mask on the captain. He goes "guys I'm not going to do anything but you have 110 people behind you what do you think would happen if we had a rapid?" Enough said. Why would anyone do that with a FAA inspector in the jumpseat?

Why would an FO do that to his Captain. The Captain must have been a real A-hole.

I agree. The immediate aftermath of a high altitude decompression will mean lots of alarms going off, extreme cold, frozen over windows, massive windstorm if it was a cockpit window that shattered, etc. No one is going to be thinking clearly for the first few seconds, and as short panic would be a perfectly normal reaction. Best to have it on, just in case, since it's only you up there.

Plus . . . you never know who's looking up from the back when the door opens to let the other guy in . . . .

Apparently, they have not seen the decompression video that used to be shown in most recurrent ground training sessions. It is quite sobering to watch, especially when you see that test pilot's eyes roll up in the back of his head!

I guess some people don't understand why there are rules, regs, and policies. Over time, they have usually been created because of an accident, incident, loss of human life, and some idiot saying, "hey, watch this!"

Maybe, that's why they put pins in handgrenades, a safety on a gun, seat belts in cars, and require pilots to don an oxygen mask
when another crewmember leaves the cockpit above 250. It's about the passengers in the back, people on the ground, and the investors that gave you that $25 million airplane to fly! It's not about you! They pay you to fly the airplane by the rules, anything less is gross negligence. Be a Professional, follow the rules!

You can puff your hair up later before you stroll through the concourse showing everyone you are a pilot!

I say we call Payne Stewart and ask......oh wait....

Do you abide by ALL rules? Do you always drive the speed limit? I don't know anyone that follows ALL rules...most just pick the ones they agree with......

Do I ever speed?...Yes...But would I speed knowing there's a cop following right behind me ready to bust me? No...Not following the rules when you know there's a fed on the jumpseat watching to make sure that you are following the rules is retarded...If you get in trouble for it, then you deserve it...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back