Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Have you ever had a captain (or FO) that makes up his own procedures?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Technique within the bounds of company manuals and directives is expected...It's called being a pilot and not a robot. I had smoke in the cockpit...Did I take out the mask? Nope...Too friggin busy IMC at night with a green F/O in a 1900. Was asked why? Captain's Emergency authority allowed me to deviate from regs, standards and manuals. It was minor smoke, but continuous... You be the judge and jury if I did the right thing.

Technique within the bounds of company manuals and directives is expected...It's called being a pilot and not a robot. I had smoke in the cockpit...Did I take out the mask? Nope...Too friggin busy IMC at night with a green F/O in a 1900. Was asked why? Captain's Emergency authority allowed me to deviate from regs, standards and manuals. It was minor smoke, but continuous... You be the judge and jury if I did the right thing.

IMC at night in a 1900 with a green FO and you DIDN'T put on the mask? :eek:

Minor can turn into major ohhhh so quickly.

At the LEAST you should have had the FO don it. Smoke in the cockpit can overcome you pretty quickly, especially since you seem to indicate that you werent even aware of the source. You're covered to do as you like in an emergency, as long as it is to done to meet the extent of the emergency. Unless putting that mask on would have inhibited your duty to correct the situation, it wasn't the best course of action.

Sorry, but I vividly recall Critter 592's plea to return to MIA.

BTW, did you tell the FO to sit still and shut up too? The FO should have been utilized in some constructive manner, unless of course the guy sitting next to you bought some multi in a GIA 1900.

No, we mutually agreed to NOTdon the masks. We had just departed IAD on climb thru 100 when my partner in crime said, "I see smoke"..."Oh yeah, you do...crap!" (smoke was from a "slightly" green F/O CB panel). I took the controls and #1 radio, declared an emergency vectors to 1L LOC. Asked my F/O to notify company and talk to folks...reviewed checklist for an Evac if required...landed, no further incident. The reason I elected not to put on the mask was the amount of smoke...cessation of smoke pretty quickly after recognition and close proximity of the airport. He was a green F/O, but actually a really sharp kid and he's a pilot at CO mainline now after the obligatory 1000 in the left-seat of the mighty Beech. I wasn't cavalier at all, actually more on the conservative side given the smoke was over after the inital short circuit. I wasn't about to continue to BLF at night with questions about my electrical system. So, deciding on caution. We diverted after declaring an Emergency.

Given the circumstances you just described, It sounds like you handled it safely. Kudos.

Your initial lack of details made it sound a bit more alarming! Alas... that is the nature of a message board. Misinterpretation.

Flew with a captain many moons ago on the CRJ who refused to use the "NAV" mode function. He said that flying the plane in "HDG" mode was much more accurate and that he didn't trust the NAV function of the autopilot. "Just use HDG to keep the plane on the line" he would say.

He also espoused that landing with the stall horn on was the way it was supposed to be done...at all times...and that if not done that way YOU were violating procedures and just plain didn't know how to fly.

In addition he also told me that if you fly the Glideslope you will NEVER land in the touchdown zone so it's always good form to transition to/use the VASI/PAPI and get a dot low (3 red one white or all 4 red) to guarantee landing in the touchdown zone...regardless of the visibility/weather.

Interesting fella!

It's gone on 2 pages now.

Just put the mask on, and take it off when the pilot gets back from the sh*tter.

Jeez, was that hard?

Oh Hell No!! You must put a bunch of Hard things in your mouth if you are willing to put that nasty thing over your mouth! Even with smoke and lose of cabin pressure I would still be worrying about that rotten a$$ mask.

I think the Forward outflow value is much better in the old Dash! You can keep as the nasty stuff in your mouth. LOL

...I agree...that is my point...Everyone of the "follow the rules" group pick and choose....Do they follow the rules on the road?

More people would follow the rules if we limited them to the essential stuff...instead of overreacting everytime there is an accident and inacting yet another "procedure"....Common sense and experience go a long way.....Two things that are becoming extinct....

Joe I agree with you. However not everyone can be super pilots like you and I. Since we are the exception to the rule, well... Now rules and procedures have to be made for those that aren't super pilots and can't think on there own.

LOL. Okay, kidding aside. Rally has some good points also and while picking your own prodecures to follow or making your own up might just work and make sense be careful. The day that your prodecure doesn't work how do you explain that to the feds and the company? However if you followed all the procedures to the 'T' you have a leg to stand on.

Do I speed on the highway? (well not now with fuel prices), yes. I set the cruise for 5 over.

Do I taxi fast sometimes. Yes, but not when I get near a place that has a bunch of aircraft or rampers. Just common sense there.

I think we all have done stuff and said, "crap, man I will read that next time."

That which doesn't kill you, makes you stonger. I have learned that the longer I have been a Captain the more important and easier it is to just follow company rules and procedures. The young once Bullet proof guy I was is forever gone.

Rules and procedures are here to protect us and the paxs. Picking what not to use and what to use might be fine your whole career, but that one time you fuk-kit up you won't have two legs to stand on when the feds and company come after you.

Latest resources

Back