• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Hats

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
standing in sfo waiting for the van to the hotel, A lady pulls up in her bmw and say she goin to lax,then hands me her ticket. I say that nice. she then tells me her bags are in the trunk. I suggest she find a sky cap to help her , then she say: where do you work? what are you? I am a pilot mam, so she gets pissed because I looked like a sky cap with the hat.

Hats Suck and look stupid.

I say screw tradition! Let's not have to wear hats. In fact, let's not wear stripes on our shirts either. That's an outdated military tradition too, am I right? Let's all wear wind breakers instead of stupid blazers and then let's all carry back-packs too. And dress shoes aren't very comfortable and the company doesn't pay me enough to be uncomfortable, so I vote we should be able to wear running shoes or what ever else makes us happy. In essence, let's not have to look like pilots. Yeah, screw the company! That will teach'em!

And then let's all complain that nobody has any respect for pilots anymore. The TSA treat us like common passengers when we go through security. The passengers don't have any respect for our so called "final authority" either. Further more the company treats us like we're just some average schmucks that are replaceable by a kid fresh out of flight school. Why do you think that is......huh?

You are a professional airline pilot. Look like one. Act like one. Otherwise you are embarrassing more than just yourself. You are an embarrassment to the rest of us.

Then again, that's just my opinion and I might be wrong.

I say screw tradition! Let's not have to wear hats. In fact, let's not wear stripes on our shirts either. That's an outdated military tradition too, am I right? Let's all wear wind breakers instead of stupid blazers and then let's all carry back-packs too. And dress shoes aren't very comfortable and the company doesn't pay me enough to be uncomfortable, so I vote we should be able to wear running shoes or what ever else makes us happy. In essence, let's not have to look like pilots. Yeah, screw the company! That will teach'em!

And then let's all complain that nobody has any respect for pilots anymore. The TSA treat us like common passengers when we go through security. The passengers don't have any respect for our so called "final authority" either. Further more the company treats us like we're just some average schmucks that are replaceable by a kid fresh out of flight school. Why do you think that is......huh?

You are a professional airline pilot. Look like one. Act like one. Otherwise you are embarrassing more than just yourself. You are an embarrassment to the rest of us.

Then again, that's just my opinion and I might be wrong.
Maybe you would prefer a scarf and goggles.
icon34.gif

Hats don't make us look professional. A nice ironed shirt/pants/epaulets do. Along with a nice blazer (NOT the leather!) But the hat makes us look outdated.... this is from a couple of pax I've talked to about it (boring commutes.) 73

Hats don't make us look professional. A nice ironed shirt/pants/epaulets do. Along with a nice blazer (NOT the leather!) But the hat makes us look outdated.... this is from a couple of pax I've talked to about it (boring commutes.) 73

Got a reference?

Everybody always wants to argue the hat.... but no one... not one single person can argue that the hat has a negative impact on the professional Air Line Pilot image.

All the clowns in this thread that argue the hat is outdated and not applicable are arguing the hat from a personal perspective. How they feel about the hat: its dorky, its hot, its uncomfortable. So is the entire uniform! Sure a track suit would be more comfortable....

So let's talk about picketing.... Whenever pilots want a better contract, pay, workrules they show up to picket with the hat..... But wait! I thought we were holding out for management to pay us better before we wore the hat/uniform... If you picket without the hat then the pax don't know if the FA's are picketing....

Whenever any organization wants to use the image of an Air Line Pilot the hat is used. It is the sole and exclusive indicator..... You will never see a commercial advertisement or pilot union photo targeting the public without a hat.

Keep looking like FA's.... don't be surprised if Surge winks at you....

I happen to be a pax, to the tune of Gold Elite last year on NW. I don't give a rat's azz what the pilots look like, and I doubt many of the other pax do either.

If you guys are so concerned about image than your airline ought to hire a bunch of models to parade around the airport in crisp, pressed unis and (god forbid) hats (if you must) so that the pax can see how professional your airline is. That is the only time they actually see the pilots anyway.

The real pilots should slip onboard via the ramp, get in and close the door. Sitting around in a cramped cockpit in polyester fire trap pants and a wrinkled shirt from sweating through 5-6 legs in 95 degree heat without a running APU and no ground cooling unit because the airline is too friggin cheap to pay for the fuel is not the way to stay crisp and "professional" looking. How do you expect a pilot to look after they just did a standup overnight in the RJ?

I have a lot more confidence in a SW FA wearing her khaki pants and comfortable polo shirt who is capable and competent than the FAs on Pinnacle in their nurse outfits who can barely read the FAA warning and announcement cards.

Give me professional pilots in comfortable, UNIFORM clothing and I will be a happy pax and crewmember.

You think you look more professional with your hat, good for you. That doesn't mean you are. It doesn't mean your opinion is the only one that is correct. You throw your opinion around as if it is a constant. Its not.

I'm telling you that most people are looking at you like you are a dork, no matter what you think. But if you feel like you are a professional because you have a hat I guess that is your right. Good luck with that.

FJ

I happen to be a pax, to the tune of Gold Elite last year on NW. I don't give a rat's azz what the pilots look like, and I doubt many of the other pax do either.

If you guys are so concerned about image than your airline ought to hire a bunch of models to parade around the airport in crisp, pressed unis and (god forbid) hats (if you must) so that the pax can see how professional your airline is. That is the only time they actually see the pilots anyway.

The real pilots should slip onboard via the ramp, get in and close the door. Sitting around in a cramped cockpit in polyester fire trap pants and a wrinkled shirt from sweating through 5-6 legs in 95 degree heat without a running APU and no ground cooling unit because the airline is too friggin cheap to pay for the fuel is not the way to stay crisp and "professional" looking. How do you expect a pilot to look after they just did a standup overnight in the RJ?

I have a lot more confidence in a SW FA wearing her khaki pants and comfortable polo shirt who is capable and competent than the FAs on Pinnacle in their nurse outfits who can barely read the FAA warning and announcement cards.

Give me professional pilots in comfortable, UNIFORM clothing and I will be a happy pax and crewmember.

You think you look more professional with your hat, good for you. That doesn't mean you are. It doesn't mean your opinion is the only one that is correct. You throw your opinion around as if it is a constant. Its not.

I'm telling you that most people are looking at you like you are a dork, no matter what you think. But if you feel like you are a professional because you have a hat I guess that is your right. Good luck with that.

FJ

Were you drinking before you wrote this? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
No, why?

FJ

Here is why....

No.. you are not a pax... you are a Feight dog traveling on your bank....

I see you ensured you told us of your economic status in the pax world. Most pilots laugh at those who like to declare thier gold elite platinum whatever status... Similiar to those who need to tell people the brand of car and clothes they own...

Good point... do you know any model pilots? Any one that leads by example?

I think this is where some might think you are drunk... you should've said yes...

Perhaps you might have more confidence in getting her (or is it his??? ) number...

Which is it? Pax or crewmember? Why do you care?

You think you look more professional with your hat, good for you. That doesn't mean you are.

It doesn't mean I am not either :rolleyes:

It doesn't mean your opinion is the only one that is correct. You throw your opinion around as if it is a constant. Its not.

It is the pax that shows up to the airport with no common knowledge of the biz. They still believe in the old school ways....

I'm telling you that most people are looking at you like you are a dork, no matter what you think.

your opinion is[n't] the only one that is correct. You throw your opinion around as if it is a constant. Its not

But if you feel like you are a professional because you have a hat I guess that is your right. Good luck with that.

No, I wear the hat so I don't look like an FA or gate agent.

Last edited:
Look, Prater could pick up the phone and have a new hat delivered to his office in 30 minutes or less if he really wanted one. Hell, he obviously knows how to get take out. The guy has more chins than a chinese phone directory !

Latest resources

Back