Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Has US Airways started calling new applicants to interview?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Short call rsv in base , have flown 6 hours this month. Might not fly again in sep. Have been here a little less than a year , have flown with some of the nicest most laid back guys ive ever met. Other than horrendous pay life is not bad.

How does reserve work? is it 5 days on? Is it 4 to 4 or 9 to 9?

How does long call work and is it junior or senior?

I will be commuting.

How does reserve work? is it 5 days on? Is it 4 to 4 or 9 to 9?

How does long call work and is it junior or senior?

I will be commuting.

11 days off a month, 4 are "hard" or untouchable. The others can be moved (i.e. trip extended) but it's very rare. 5 days on would be common but it does vary a bit. You are assigned a protected time of 9 hours off the hook when you are on short call. Although you bid for protected times they can and commonly do change your protected time to suit their needs the day before so there is no consistency whatsoever.

Long call on the 190 is fairly senior. On the Airbus less so. 9 hour callout, but 95% of the time you will get your assignment by 1pm the day before when they process all the open time. It is possible for them to transition you to short call status with just 9 hours notice and almost no extra pay. Sucks, luckily it's also not all that common. More bad news for the long call guys is that you will get called quite a bit. Fairly common for long-call guys to fly 80 hours a month while the short call guys get 25 or 30. I went a whole month on short call once without getting called at all.

Essentially life on reserve for a commuter is not real great, nothing surprising there. If you live in base short reserve can be a good deal. The only saving grace for commuters given the crappy contract terms is that, in general, it seems like the schedulers are not out to intentionally screw you and will work with you a bit if you ask nicely (release you early from reserve on your last day etc.) Also commuting on mainline is not bad since you can reserve the jumpseat and you'll only get kicked off for a Fed or line check.

Have a basic question: Once the app is submitted, is there a need (or do they want you) to keep going in and updating times, etc.? Or does one submit the app and hope they call?

Thanks for any insight! My app has been submitted for about 10 days..

11 days off a month, 4 are "hard" or untouchable. The others can be moved (i.e. trip extended) but it's very rare. 5 days on would be common but it does vary a bit. You are assigned a protected time of 9 hours off the hook when you are on short call. Although you bid for protected times they can and commonly do change your protected time to suit their needs the day before so there is no consistency whatsoever.

Long call on the 190 is fairly senior. On the Airbus less so. 9 hour callout, but 95% of the time you will get your assignment by 1pm the day before when they process all the open time. It is possible for them to transition you to short call status with just 9 hours notice and almost no extra pay. Sucks, luckily it's also not all that common. More bad news for the long call guys is that you will get called quite a bit. Fairly common for long-call guys to fly 80 hours a month while the short call guys get 25 or 30. I went a whole month on short call once without getting called at all.

Essentially life on reserve for a commuter is not real great, nothing surprising there. If you live in base short reserve can be a good deal. The only saving grace for commuters given the crappy contract terms is that, in general, it seems like the schedulers are not out to intentionally screw you and will work with you a bit if you ask nicely (release you early from reserve on your last day etc.) Also commuting on mainline is not bad since you can reserve the jumpseat and you'll only get kicked off for a Fed or line check.

Life on long call reserve varies more by season than anything else. From September to February I average about 5 to 10 days of work. In the warmer months when most guys are on vacation is when you'll really fly a lot.

Usually guys and gals that live in base will bid short call reserve. Generally you fly less and you get a min guarantee of 76 hours a month. The commuters generally bid long reserve, but in this case you get a min guarantee of 72 hours a month. That usually describes the situation better than simply saying that people with seniority bid one way or another.

If you're a long call reserve and you get transitioned to short call you can check the computer the next day and see if they have adequate coverage. If so you can call scheduling and get "un-transitioned", which most times they will do for you.

Can anyone give me a rough estimate on the number of pilots us air has hired off the street in the past five or six years?

Can anyone give me a rough estimate on the number of pilots us air has hired off the street in the past five or six years?

around 200. All east. West has pilots on furlough with no hiring in sight. WEST has 13 year F/O's and no one is leaving.

M

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back