• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Has anyone else ordered their H&K 40?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The Kahr p40 is not blocky and is not large. the Kahr now comes in .45, as well.

Numerous compact .45's are available for concealed carry that fit the bill nicely.

Something sub-.40 I've taken a shine to over the past year has been the Keltec P3AT. It's .380, but the same size as most .32's, is increadibly light weight, fits in a pocket or ankle holster, and with the proper ammunition, is substantial enough it will certainly do the job if required. I've purchased three of them, and though I've never cared for the .380, the size, weight, and reliability has made me re-think carrying one.

They've become really popular for backup work, especially for uniformed carry.

dav8or said:
That is short. I would want to fire one before I put down any money. Face to close to flash for me but cool looking.
The HK-51 variant, was never produced by HK. It's a totally American made conversion to the HK-91.

Where they got the idea to do this, was HK has in their catalog, a shorty HK-93 that is called the HK-53. Notice how the number designations fit?

I was down at Knob Creek KY 3 years ago, pondering the investment purchase of a machinegun and I was shopping for what would be the best value. One of the vendors had an immaculate HK-51 there for 8,275. It was love at first sight...like avbug said, "Basically a MP5 on [steriods]". Hmmmm...there's that "5" again? (HK-51/Hk-53).

Pretty much, the HK-51 is the Harley Davidson of machineguns...much roar, much flash...lots of show and no practicallity. Unless...you are going to use the registered full auto trigger pack on other semi-auto rifles to increase your versatality. Logic would have it, that if I bought the HK-51 for 8,275, I could put the trigger pack on my SW-3 HK-91 clone that I already owned and have a full sized .308 machinegun, as well as the HK-51. Then I could buy a 9mm clone and a .223 clone and have a fleet of the best of all guns, for the price of one MG and some semi-autos. I passed up on the HK-51 then and althought I don't regret it, the full auto ones go for at least 13-15K now. They have the HK-51B, that's belt fed...that's right...belt fed. Those go for over 21K now.

What people like about the 51 conversion, is that it does make a lot of flash and the conversion does remove a lot of the recoil...but you guys are correct, it doesn't make a great sniper rifle.

The gun pictured above from Vector is just a semi-auto clone of an HK. It probably retails for 1,600 and it does require a BATF tax stamp, because the barrel is less than 16".

I have heard that the HK-51 in full auto, will make your pants flutter...and if you're downwind, expect to have gun powder in your hair.

Last edited:
dav8or said:
I've had my own recent failure of an HK. About a month ago I was firing my HK91 and it started recoiling hard. I looked at it and found that the stock had broke. Good thing I keep a full set of replacement parts for that POJ. By the way it was the first failure since I bought it 21 years ago.
Do you know what your HK-91 is worth, dav8or? If it is a true HK-91, not a clone look alike, you'd be looking at about 3-3.5K.

Those are pre-89's...you are holding on to something you bought for about 800 bucks and it's worth at least 3 thousand bucks now, thanks to the 1989 Presidential ban on imports.

If the fit and finish of your gun is a little rough around the edges, don't worry, those guns are easily made back to new specs. Check out "house of 51", he has like a one year waiting list for HK-51 conversions and charges about 1,200 bucks to do the work...but you'd be able to ask 4,500 bucks for the gun in New In the Box condition. I'm not pulling your leg. There's guys out there with registered trigger packs that would love to pay you that money for an "original" HK. Do some research...your HK is worth some jing.

So, I finally recieved my order today ---- yeah

But, I have to go to work tommorw ----- boo

And, I have to wait another week before i can go to the range and try it out -- double boo

It took about 2 weeks from the time my card was charged till I actually picked it up from the dealer.

I still think I got a good deal for $495. That included a brand new USP 40 with the saftey removed, two clips, tritium night sights installed, locking cable and a carrying case. I think retail for the same thing was over $900.

Thedude said:
So, I finally recieved my order today ---- yeah

But, I have to go to work tommorw ----- boo

And, I have to wait another week before i can go to the range and try it out -- double boo

It took about 2 weeks from the time my card was charged till I actually picked it up from the dealer.

I still think I got a good deal for $495. That included a brand new USP 40 with the saftey removed, two clips, tritium night sights installed, locking cable and a carrying case. I think retail for the same thing was over $900.
If you never shot a gun like HK USP .40, you'll find the recoil interesting. It's hard to describe, but it's not like other semi-auto handguns I have owned. Good luck with your new purchase.

Thedude said:

H&K has switched to using CLIPS now?! Oh man, that sucks! :D Just gotta bust your balls on that one..

Safety removed? So there is absolutely no manual safety to deal with on it now? That's one of the biggest things that Glocks have going for them, IMO....so if H&K is doing something similar, I'll have to take a look at it.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back