Happy holidays from Airtran Airways

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ron burgundy

Apparently, a bunch of F/A s were fired after the company went plane to plane conducting bag searches for galley items taken from the plane.
Those found to possess said items were fired on the spot.

Merry Christmas!

Apparently, a bunch of F/A s were fired after the company went plane to plane conducting bag searches for galley items taken from the plane.
Those found to possess said items were fired on the spot.

Merry Christmas!

Don't they fire employees for stealing stuff at the Home Depot and the Gap? Are you really defending people who steal? Or is it somehow someone else's fault that they are criminals?
What would you do if you caught the guy who mows your lawn with a six pack of your beer in his pickup?

I don't think either of us condone the actions of taking from an employer, just how it was conducted. Little things like "rights"....

Do not shoot he messenger, from the Employee handbook.
AirTran Airways maintains a work environment that is free of illegal drugs,
alcohol, firearms or other weapons, explosives, or other improper materials. In
addition, AirTran Airways prohibits theft of property or possessions of Crew
Members, the Company, visitors, customers, and vendors. To this end, AirTran
Airways prohibits the possession, transfer, sale, or use of such materials on its
owned and/or leased premises, including any and all Company vehicles and
aircraft. The carriage of any weapons on Company property, including company
parking lots, is prohibited. AirTran Airways requires the cooperation of all Crew
Members in administering this policy.
Desks, lockers, and other storage devices may be provided for the convenience of
Crew Members, but remain the sole property of AirTran Airways. Crew Members
should not have an expectation of privacy while on owned by, leased by or
provided by the Company. Accordingly, any authorized agent or representative of
AirTran Airways can inspect them, as well as any articles found within them, at
any time, either with or without prior notice. In addition, any authorized agent or
representative of AirTran Airways may also inspect persons entering and/or
leaving its premises, including any and all vehicles and aircraft, and any packages,
briefcases, purses, backpacks, luggage or other belongings. Anyone failing to
cooperate with an inspection will be subject to disciplinary action, up to and
including termination of employment
Also the 4th amendment applies to the government not private companies.

Don't they fire employees for stealing stuff at the Home Depot and the Gap? Are you really defending people who steal? Or is it somehow someone else's fault that they are criminals?
What would you do if you caught the guy who mows your lawn with a six pack of your beer in his pickup?

What if I take my half empty water bottle to the hotel with me? Does that count as stealing?

Another example of Americans who don't understand the limitations of their rights and the totalitarianism of corporatism.....

Accept the terms or don't work. Don't like it? Find another job, at a place that has terms that you must accept or don't work....

Sounds like a Johnny Cochran sound bite.... "if you don't accept, you don't work"

Does this condone stealing? No. Does that mean there is democracy in the workplace? In ATL? In America......

I'm not sure, but I think the constitution has priority over the employee handbook. Just because they write it down doesn't make it legal. God- they wish!

Lawyers? Holiday Inn Express customers?

I'm not sure, but I think the constitution has priority over the employee handbook. Just because they write it down doesn't make it legal. God- they wish!

Lawyers? Holiday Inn Express customers?

Big difference between criminal and civil components here.... If they are just gonna terminate you, they can pretty much do stuff like this (based on my limited understanding.) If they tried to press some sort of theft charge in addition to a termination, this clearly would not fly.

At work, anything is pretty much fair game-they can fire you for all sorts of stuff (people get fired all the time for stuff they say over the phone-for example.). The "expectation of privacy" reference in the employee handbook is important.... You do always have an "expectation of privacy" in a shower or restroom while at work (so cameras can't really be installed in these places,) but as far as illegal search and seizure in regards to termination, I doubt there is anything problem here-this is not a criminal matter.

-Still-This clearly sucks, and anyone who is considering working at a place which would fire people for taking soft drinks and snacks on an overnight should really consider the integrity of such an employer.

-I would like to see more details on this issue. Were these FAs just taking a Coke for the road, or did they have 27 jack and rum bottles in a bag? Morally, a big difference between something like a Coke, which is normally offered to non-revs and jumpseaters for free, and an alcoholic drink, which sells for close to $10 these days.

Latest resources

Back