• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Hand flying vs. Autopilot

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Because it wears out the nose tires and puts a lot of sideways stress on them. I had one explode on takeoff, probably from people doing this over time. There's really no need for it on most runways.

It certainly could not have been due to a defective tire and inadequate preflight inspection... never, never.

I absolutely love it when the other guy kicks off the autopilot 40 miles out from landing, then proceeds to fly all over the friggin sky like a bat on a mosquito hunt. Hey all you RJ jockeys who can't hold altitude worth a crap, or constantly zig zag back and forth chasing the localizer (on a VFR approach no less): Leave the freakin AP on and quit embarrassing yourselves.
And when landing on a 10,000' runway, why must you slam on the brakes and go full reverse thrust just to make the first highspeed and perhaps save 10 seconds on the taxi? Why?
That's all.

Ya know, UB, if you would just start wearing cowboy boots to work, you would relax alot more and be much more fun to fly with!

Ariat Ropers, my friend, security friendly, last long time,work great! Just sayin'.:D

Peace.

Rekks

Ok to the heavy turn guys. Yes I do shake my head inside a little. There is a reason that oftentimes, the nosewheel steering goes INOP mid heavy-turn and the airplane is stuck on the runway for a few seconds in some weird angled position facing diagonally across the runway while the captain goes "sh*t wtf! what a piece of sh*t!". The airplane is saying the same thing about the operator. The RJ is not meant to be heavy turned like a fcking 767. It's got a short wheel base and it's hard as hell on that small nose gear. Some other airlines recommend that pivoting should be saved for emergency situations. We had a few captains on the ATR who loved to heavy turn that thing. Not only was it just so goddarned adorable to see an ATR captain pretend to be a 747 captain, but the POH specifically stated NOT to pivot the aircraft unless there is an emergency situation as it can damage the nose gear.

I can look at myself in the mirror every morning and see someone with dignity and self respect.

....and you're good enough..your smart enough and dog on it people like you.

Ok to the heavy turn guys. Yes I do shake my head inside a little. There is a reason that oftentimes, the nosewheel steering goes INOP mid heavy-turn and the airplane is stuck on the runway for a few seconds in some weird angled position facing diagonally across the runway while the captain goes "sh*t wtf! what a piece of sh*t!". The airplane is saying the same thing about the operator. The RJ is not meant to be heavy turned like a fcking 767. It's got a short wheel base and it's hard as hell on that small nose gear. Some other airlines recommend that pivoting should be saved for emergency situations. We had a few captains on the ATR who loved to heavy turn that thing. Not only was it just so goddarned adorable to see an ATR captain pretend to be a 747 captain, but the POH specifically stated NOT to pivot the aircraft unless there is an emergency situation as it can damage the nose gear.

Hmm. lets see here...18 years in this business with 12,500 hours in a regional cockpit. I have NEVER seen the situation you describe. Never. Considering that an average flight for me lasts about 1 to 1 1/2 hours, that's probably about 9,000 takeoffs. So, in 9,000 takeoffs, I've never seen the nosewheel cock to one side and lock up during a so-called "heavy" turn, so the scenario you describe is essentially a non-issue.

Sometimes I turn onto the centerline tightly, and sometimes I don't, but the real question is: why do you care? Mind your own business and worry about your OWN cockpit and airplane.

(Sheesh - busy bodies! You guys remind me of a gaggle of gossipy women with nothing else to do but critique other pilots, as if you are god's gifts to all things aviation.)

The ironic thing is, I don't even see the 747 guys doing it! Everybody at mainline lines up on the runway as a normal pilot would on 10,000-11,000 foot runway. Its only the RJ guys I see that are lining up like they're in Key West.

Latest resources

Back