• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Hand flying vs. Autopilot

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I do some hand flying during the VFR days, during the IFR I always use autopilot. I don't want to increase the work load of the NFP during the bad weather.

If I had an AP in the 1900 I could offer something constructive to this discourse, however, 3000 hours in the Northeast and WV without an AP makes all this a moot point. I would have to say that I am not as good as I was now that I fly the Slaab.
In fact, it's pointless to log IMC time ( I stopped at 500 actual anyway ) with an AP.
I think that it's important to hand-fly as often as possible consistent with workload. And, using the AP should NEVER be a crutch for weak airmanship.

Ok to the heavy turn guys. Yes I do shake my head inside a little. There is a reason that oftentimes, the nosewheel steering goes INOP mid heavy-turn and the airplane is stuck on the runway for a few seconds in some weird angled position facing diagonally across the runway while the captain goes "sh*t wtf! what a piece of sh*t!". The airplane is saying the same thing about the operator. The RJ is not meant to be heavy turned like a fcking 767. It's got a short wheel base and it's hard as hell on that small nose gear.

So you mean to tell me that the CRJ... a plane that does many "gate turnouts"... cannot do a 90 degree turn to line up on the runway?

The gate turnouts and normal greater than 90 degree turns that they do day in and out (like the "mains on the line" in ATL) are as sharp or sharper than a "heavy turn."

I bet the guy that started this thread and Mach 80 hang out. :)

Ok to the heavy turn guys. Yes I do shake my head inside a little. There is a reason that oftentimes, the nosewheel steering goes INOP mid heavy-turn and the airplane is stuck on the runway for a few seconds in some weird angled position facing diagonally across the runway while the captain goes "sh*t wtf! what a piece of sh*t!". The airplane is saying the same thing about the operator. The RJ is not meant to be heavy turned like a fcking 767. It's got a short wheel base and it's hard as hell on that small nose gear. Some other airlines recommend that pivoting should be saved for emergency situations. We had a few captains on the ATR who loved to heavy turn that thing. Not only was it just so goddarned adorable to see an ATR captain pretend to be a 747 captain, but the POH specifically stated NOT to pivot the aircraft unless there is an emergency situation as it can damage the nose gear.

I would suggest that you take a look at the regs for A/C certification before you post such idiocy again.

GOT THERAPY?

....and you're good enough..your smart enough and dog on it people like you.

If you lack the intellectual development, you too can join the Hojet team!:laugh:

If you lack the intellectual development, you too can join the Hojet team!:laugh:

If your waterlogged by ALPA rhetoric and "good" direction you too can work for Trans States

To add, why are the NWA 747s heading to all the way to Hawaii lining up on the numbers WITHOUT a "heavy turn" but we have RJ drivers on the way to KBHM doing "heavy turns" to line up on the piano keys saving all the runway they can on an 11,000ft runway? Embarrassing....

I like to do a "heavy turn" on a long runway while i'm in the bro. I think it's funny every time. Ah, the simple pleasures.

To add, why are the NWA 747s heading to all the way to Hawaii lining up on the numbers WITHOUT a "heavy turn" but we have RJ drivers on the way to KBHM doing "heavy turns" to line up on the piano keys saving all the runway they can on an 11,000ft runway? Embarrassing....

dude....whered you get that picture of my mom???????

Latest resources

Back