• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

HA - Latest System Bid

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Then there is the notorious 717 FO currently on property who goes around telling everyone he/she has their application in at Delta.

That's all you have to do to become "notorious" at HAL, drop an app online to Delta....

Funny thing is, why would you brag if you hadn't been offered a job?

I would say this the most accurate perspective. Micro, keep in mind we also hired a lot of older F/O's. When HA started hiring they hired all different ages in most of the classes. As far as 18 - 24 NEO's not being growth, I would have to disagree. They will replace some 767 flying I'm sure, but add many more routes. Inter-island will still be busy despite more outer island direct flights. My take is Ohana will only grow in markets that a 717 never would have flown anyway. If anything they will help feed mainline. I KNOW I KNOW, this is the thinking that let the cat out of the bag on the mainline and created the RJ debacle. I don't see that happening here at all. Inter-island will always be heavily traveled and require large A/C on the routes we use the 717 and Inter-island is too core to our pilot group to ever consider giving that up.
As far as commuting goes, seems to me there are numerous options that are easy from the west coast, you can even pair up with another pilot and split a pairing that would allow you to originate your flight on the west coast. I don't think your concerns about losing the 12 in a row are valid. We have always protected that. If it's any consolation the head of the negotiating committee and some members are commuters. I'm guessing the "new" MEC will be open and responsive to pilot input. They will be coming in as fresh blood.
But essentially, we have some quick upgrades and some of them are, in fact young. But we also have a lot of pilots that started here in their 40's or 50's. The a/c we have on order means a lot of hiring, the fact that our classes are filled with with pilots of all different ages means there shouldn't be the stagnation that hiring a whole class of fairly young pilots causes down the road when the inevitable slow downs come.

Ohana is already flying routes that our 717's fly (OGG-KOA/OGG-ITO, etc)

Our 717 block hours can be reduced drastically to hit the floor outlined in our current scope clause. Neo's can currently fly 3 legs per day, which could easily equate to HNL-OGG-SAN or HNL-LIH-LAX & SAN-OGG-HNL. If all Neo flights originate out of honolulu, fly an outer island leg plus a transpac leg, then reverse order on the return leg.....24 NEO's doing 24 interisland round trips per day equals less staffing on a designated interisland aircraft. Period. That is without any interference from Ohana. Ohana has how many tail numbers reserved? I heard 10. That's a lot of MKK and LNY flights. The Neo is the 767 replacement, as well as a way to consolidate a lot of the interisland flying. Some growth, yes, but not much. But there will be a training bubble.

+1. There are a lot of pluses in hal's future for sure. But also, the Koolaid runneth aplenty and it is good. Let's not launch into the upcoming negotiations assuming that everything will work out for the best. I am concerned that our union leadership is so proud and sure of the scope they negotiated that they don't see the potential loopholes, and are not even willing to entertain he notion that things may need to be tweaked at least... Respectfully

T
Then there is the notorious 717 FO currently on property who goes around telling everyone he/she has their application in at Delta.

Was he obnoxious in general or was saying that he applied to Delta what made him some notorious? IF that's where he wanted to go, oh well...Doesn't seem so bad to me.

For the guys that say the 717 is not commutable, I'm curious what you consider as not a commutable time off? For example, if you have a few 3 consecutive days off, do you consider that not doable?
What do the junior lines look like?

There will be growth, though not to the extent of the big boys. We'll probably hire a total of 5 or 6 hundred by 2020. I heard that UAL will hire about 1400 this year.

There will be growth, though not to the extent of the big boys. We'll probably hire a total of 5 or 6 hundred by 2020. I heard that UAL will hire about 1400 this year.

Yeah but 500-600 basically doubles the size of our pilot group.

For the guys that say the 717 is not commutable, I'm curious what you consider as not a commutable time off? For example, if you have a few 3 consecutive days off, do you consider that not doable?
What do the junior lines look like?

Reserve is (mostly) very senior on the 717, so the bottom guys are getting lines most of the times. They tend to mixed PMs and AMs. Often times with only 1 day off between a block of two or three trips. PBS allows for some flexibility but it's hit or miss. I'm bidding about 10 from the bottom and managed (without trying) to get 2 blocks of three or more days off for October. The guys below me all had something similar. Keep in mind though, depending on where you are commuting from, you'll be burning a MINIMUM of 6 hours to get to work and there is are large blocks of the day (3pm to 10pm and 12pm to 7am) where there are no flights out.

This is NOT a commuter airline right now, although many people make it work.

Latest resources

Back