• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Gulfstream, whats the real story

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Okay SVCTA, apparently you are not going away until someone bashing GTA gets the last post. You are obviously filled with hatred for a group of people you have this jilted image of. So I guess you want someone to listen. Go ahead, tell us your story, how you overcame the hurdles of working your way up to a regional and left it for the greatest flying job in the world. All the while managing to avoid becoming a "gutless punk"(love to have you tell me that one f2f!).

Well, if the shoe fits, my friend. I just won't accept these b.s. justfications of how it's no threat to the profession to buy jobs. By the way, if you're going to threaten someone don't use cutsie little internetisms.(i.e. "f2f") Somehow it detracts from the boot shaking that I'm obviously supposed to be suffering from right now.

I guess my disclaimer is that I claim to be better than noone. Except you and your cohorts. Well, let me even make that at least one notch nicer and a bit more scientific:

I just don't respect experience that is purchased. It is incestuous in it's very nature and doesn't make for a well-rounded aviation background, in my opinion. I'll divorce this from the concept of professionalism for the sake of simplicity.

That make it easier for you to understand? My story's already been put up here for all to read. I'm not the ace of the base. I do have a job most pilots would love to have, but it's not the best in the world, I'm sure. I've never claimed to be anything more than lucky regarding my current state of employment. It happens a lot in this biz; I'm sorry if that upsets you. I also consider myself lucky to have the background that I do. It's opened a lot of doors for me aside from just full-time jobs. So, I guess scraping by with not-so-glamorous jobs and collecting unique experience pays off in many more ways that just one.

Think about all the things that are being missed along the way when you skip the part that makes you who you are. It's like buying your way out of your teenage years so you can go right to being whatever it is you wanted to be. No different.

Consider this the last I'll say about it until someone else starts another "gulstream info" thread.

No threat intended. Never asked you to respect me; that's something people typically have to earn (somewhere other than a message board). As for the "bootshaking," if you care to study the posts I think you'll see I was trying to have a civil conversation to understand where people like you come from. Glad you're happy. Later.

DONT DO IT!!

GULFSTREAM=TOOLBAGS!
GULFSTREAM=DEBT FOR LIFE!
GULFSTREAM= SAYIN YOU TAUGHT WHEN YOU NEVER DID!

We could go on my 20 pages plus!

Just go and check them out! they will pay you up to $300 for travel expense just to go check them out! NOT BAD!
icon10.gif

and yes BOBBY PINTO IS BACK! I just spoke with him!
icon24.gif

icon14.gif
GULFSTREAM
its better than than
icon13.gif
JET U, I olso check them out, and kind of gray.... paying for a video game? ummm

Just go and check them out! they will pay you up to $300 for travel expense just to go check them out! NOT BAD!
icon10.gif

and yes BOBBY PINTO IS BACK! I just spoke with him!
icon24.gif

icon14.gif
GULFSTREAM
its better than than
icon13.gif
JET U, I olso check them out, and kind of gray.... paying for a video game? ummm

Wow - $300? I could fly my 172 out there to "visit" and get them to pick up the tab, picking up an extra 6 hours free PIC in the meantime.

...I am sure there are not a lot of (earned 'em the right way) 1000 hour pilots who would choose to come fly 1900s in FL were it like other regionals.

If by "like other regionals" you mean that the pilots are actually paid for their trouble, then yes, I suppose you may have a point there. A job flying 1900s could provide some very good experience and the opportunity for a quick upgrade. However, the fact of the matter is that there is just too much opportunity out there right now for a 1000 hour pilot to justify going to an outfit like GIA. If I weren't hanging around trying to get 135 IFR minimums, I would have been out of instructing a while ago... but not to Gulfstream. Sorry. You don't speak for me.

-Goose

Hmm.. I just re-read your post. Too late to edit, so apologies for not reading more carefully. You are right--there are not many that would choose to fly 1900's over an RJ--especially when pay for the RJ is typically better... And I suppose that's the whole point; at least they get paid to build SIC time. With the 50 or so multi that I have right now, there's several airlines that I could be at, making money. Not much, because these aren't the 'top of the heap' carriers, but it'd still be income as opposed to paying for training. I would never pay a company for the privilege of producing revenue for them.

-Goose

Another aspect,

When I quit flying skydivers I collected some resumes online so I wouldn't leave my boss hanging. I received no less than 15 requests from Gulfstream Academy graduates that wanted to quit flying 121 to come fly our little 206. I don't know if that was their exact situation, but that's what it looked like on paper. We turned them all down because of the low PIC time. If you pay for all that training and get turned away, where exactly can you go?

Charlie

Geez....I wanted to stay out of this one. But the Russian thinking that SVCTA is what's wrong with this industry? Give me a break! Tomcat, you seem to try to justify the existence of such an outfit as Gulfstream as just another lil ole school where people pay their dues and learn light years of knowlege without any undo harm.

You're buying a position that should be earned in the first place. What's the problem with this concept? I'll give you my opinion and what I've observed over the few years of my career. The " I want mine now at any cost" attitude. The " I want my shiny new jet left seat now" syndrome. Ever heard of GJ or Freedom? Well, these places are filled with attitudes like these.
See, short cuts play into the hands of those that want nothing more than to screw every pilot that walks through their door. Short cuts flood the market. Creating a supply and demand problem against all pilots, including yourself.

I don't think every student that goes to a pilot mill school goes in with the intension of screwing anybody. But the reality of their actions need to be known. Not only for other pilots, but ultimately for their own career's sake. If you don't understand that, then that's what's really wrong with this industry now.

I think this thread again, is PFT flame material.
Maybe someone at the beginning of this thread should have advised the original poster to do a search on the subject of GIA and PFT.
Following advice on an anonymous message board should not be taken to seriously. I wouldn`t be surprised to see on the 11th page of this thread the original poster saying, gees I didn`t know of all the terrible things PFT does to "our" profession and then professes to follow the only true path to aviation salvation as outlined in these posts.
I wonder what these anti-PFTers would say if this subject came up with a ex- GIA captain they are flying with at any major, regional, corporate, or fractional operator they are flying with.
I know of many ex-GIA folks at the fractional operator I'm currently employed at. They are pretty much happy to be there and very senior to me.

Latest resources

Back