Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Mr. Nigel,
1)6 months just to get a JAR license
2)You have to be sponsered by an airline just to be able to enter a college.
3)Work permit which is impossible to get
4)etc. etc.

Contrast that to coming over here where GA is very active then everyone just stays here gets a green card and bang yes European pilots are taking U.S. jobs in a unfair world economy. When we work over there the EU's whine and cry about how we are stealing their work. Amazing how everything is honky dory when the EU's come over here and fly on American soil, while American guys are out of work. Tit for tat, maybe the JAR's should reconize a U.S. certificate for what it is. Seems like the high and mighty EU doesn't reconize that.

It's called Fortress Europe. And instead of just sitting on the sidelines and ooh and ahh, it's time this country respond. At least let's cut the umbilical cord and see how long the Eurocrats can tred water.

TurboS7 said:
Mr. Nigel,
1)6 months just to get a JAR license
2)You have to be sponsered by an airline just to be able to enter a college.
3)Work permit which is impossible to get
4)etc. etc.

Contrast that to coming over here where GA is very active then everyone just stays here gets a green card and bang yes European pilots are taking U.S. jobs in a unfair world economy. When we work over there the EU's whine and cry about how we are stealing their work. Amazing how everything is honky dory when the EU's come over here and fly on American soil, while American guys are out of work. Tit for tat, maybe the JAR's should reconize a U.S. certificate for what it is. Seems like the high and mighty EU doesn't reconize that.

1) No, If you have an ATP this can be converted in a few DAYS. check your research.
2)No, you can pay to train just like here. The Only airline sponsered college is BA at Prestwick in Scotland. If you want a college education in Europe you have to buy one, sound familar?
3)No again, you have to qualify just like you do here.

Please tell me how you just "get a green card" These are not handed out to all who ask for them, you must qualify for permanant resident status, it is not something that is just given away.
There are thousands of US citizens working in the UK alone in many professions amazing how that is "honky dory" for them, when there are many British citizens who are out of work, how do you think they feel?
The JAA does recognize the US ATP for what it is and you can convert as a lot of people have i.e pilots that fly for Cathy Pacific have both a FAA and a JAA certificate.
Before you spout on about europeans coming over here and stealing your jobs, do some research and find out how many US citizens are over there working and stealing jobs from them.
Ignorance is bliss.

Lord Wakefield said:
It's called Fortress Europe. And instead of just sitting on the sidelines and ooh and ahh, it's time this country respond. At least let's cut the umbilical cord and see how long the Eurocrats can tred water.

Interesting quote "fortress europe" That was used during world war two, you know the one the US were two years late entering, after they were two years late entering the first war. And please save the "you would all be speaking german if it was'nt for us" garbage. The UK stood alone for those two years and repelled the german attempts to invade.
"Lets cut the umbilical cord" To what? The biggest foreign invester in the US is the UK. If they pulled their cash I wonder how long the US could last.
Time to respond to what? The euro is almost the same value as the dollar, seems they are doing ok over there.

History

Britpilot said:
. . . you know the one the US were two years late entering, after they were two years late entering the first war.
Did I miss out on something in my American history class?

Didn't President Roosevelt supply the UK with destroyers and other war materiel for two years prior to the United States' entry in the war that you reference? That was the Lend-Lease Act. Notable in that regard was the P-51 Mustang was first provided to England pursuant to a British purchasing requirement. I have to believe that all the materiel supplied during the two years in question helped the British hold off the Germans a little bit. Not to mention the American airmen who flew with the RAF.

Define "entering" the war. If I am not mistaken, wasn't it the Japanese surprise attack on Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941 that caused the U.S. to declare war on Japan and Germany?

I'd first review history before making the declarative statements you made above.

Last edited:
Bobby, Nigel is pretty much on target with his comments. From what I have read, the US didn't start to get seriously involved until after Churchill took office and that was after a lot of prodding from Churchill. Yes the US had the lend lease program but that in itself only helped the war effort at best. Joe Kennedy, the ambassador to England, wanted the US to stay out of it even while England was being attacked.
England held Germany at bay buying time for the US to gear up for the war effort. Obviously, Japan was the final straw for the US to get involved.
Yes, the US was the major player in winning the war but England (and eventually the cursed Russians) bought time until reinforcements could come in. Overall, it was a team effort.
I also agree with Nigel's comments about UK money in the US. It is much, much more than people realize. Even the company I work for is British. Who knows, maybe the Lion is modern day Babylon:eek: ?!
Apologize for straying from the original thread.

History revisionism

I thought this was a Gulfstream/P-F-T "discussion."

Take a look at the time frame. I don't recall the exact year, but I believe it was around 1939 when Churchill replaced David Lloyd-George as British Prime Minister. It wasn't too long thereafter when Lend-Lease began. The U.S. sent fifty destroyers to Great Britain. The U.S. sent aircraft. I realize the American airmen who flew with the RAF, and the RCAF, for that matter, were volunteers, but they still served long before the U.S. declared war on the Axis. Don't forget the risky convoys. Maybe Americans were not on the lines per se (although American pilots flying Spitfires and Hurricanes would certainly qualify in that regard), but the U.S. was certainly supplying Great Britain with war materiel. I do not call that "standing by" for two years.

You are correct that Joseph P. Kennedy urged President Roosevelt to stay out of the war. Of course, that was consistent with the long-standing American policy of isolationism.

I do not disagree with Nigel's observation that the British single-handedly held off the Germans on that front. That is undisputed fact, especially after the French folded and in the Battle of Britain. But, once again, define "entry" into WWII. Speculation runs rampant that President Roosevelt et al knew of the impending Japanese attack and let it happen to facilitate the U.S.'s entry in the war. That is only speculation and not fact. Just the same, the Japanese attacked and the U.S. declared war the next day. Nigel's characterization that the U.S. stood by for two years twiddling its thumbs is, at best, a gross distortion of the facts of history and revisionism.

I realize that this is not the World History/Europolitik Forum.

Just having some fun with you all, wondered who would take the bait:D As a point of interest my father served with the British army in North Africa and Italy, he was "recruited" at seventeen and served as a tank driver from 1941 until 1946
Yes I am aware of the lend lease program, that did not begin until after the start of hostilities and Churchill,who was boss of the Admiralty before becoming Pime Minister, had to plead with the US for their support against the Nazis, from Roosevelt. Roosevelt supported entry into the war but there was oposition from Congress, hence the delay that the Japanese helped to shorten.
The Mustang was built to a British requirement but did not see service until 1941 prior to that the fighter defense was provided by the Spitfire and Hurricane.
The US is also a very large invester in Europe which also equates to being a large employer over there in many countries, with the tax advantages that creates and the obvious revenue, it is a nice deal for corporate America.
You may have also noticed that the UK is usually one of the first to sign up for support of the US in many of the global conflicts that plague us today. You see we enjoy a good fight.
Me? I am just a former Brit who is now a proud American. Can any one say "God save the President"?

History

You are indeed the sly one, Mr. Brit. I appreciate the sentiments and accuracy of your latest post.

Your father most certainly endured some difficult duty during the war. I had an uncle who served in the U.S. Army in the same theaters during the same time.

We should also mention that the Allison-powered P-51A was a great low-level aircraft but ineffective at high altitude. The Merlin engine installation changed all that.

Latest resources

Back