Gulfstream First Officer Program

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Apache54

Does anyone have any info on their First Officer Program as far as interviews and hiring? i don't mean specific hiring within Gulfstream Int Airlines, but graduate hiring in general?

Also, for those that are already out there in the RJ/Regional world... How are Gulfstream grads looked upon? I'm a military helo guy with over 1000tt, working on my fixed wing stuff and looking at the Gulfstream FO program for the 121 training and the 250 hrs as a SIC in a beech 1900d. I know this is a "pay for training" deal if offered a spot to stay, but I was curious on how the community as a whole views the program.

Thanx for the input.

Oh man...

Brace yourself for the stream of negative comments that will follow! You opened up a serious can-o-worms!

:(

At least this guy paid his dues and isn't looking for an easy way out. Apache, do a search on Gulfstream and you will get a lot of info. There's probably a more respectable route you can take IMO.

Apache,

Take the advice of this old CW4.

Get your airplane mel and keep looking in Trade a Plane or Climbto350.com. There are a lot of entry level, low timer mel jobs you get get to build your time. There's one right now for CV 440/580 in Texas. Look to APTAP to share time with other APTAPers. If you want to get into the business, you've got to go where the jobs are to build the time. Your family has to be supportive of that, too.

I know of one Army Aviator who got his mel, flew night freight for a year, and is now a captain at ASA, and in the NG in F-16's. You can do it, you have the basics, and you are flying a highly complex machine right now.

Email me, if you'd like.

Last edited:
jaybird said:
At least this guy paid his dues and isn't looking for an easy way out. Apache, do a search on Gulfstream and you will get a lot of info. There's probably a more respectable route you can take IMO.

Apache54-Don't pay to work somewhere. When times are bad for hiring these programs surface. You now the crap...get a jump on your competitors.....invest in your career.....Bribe us to hire you! You know we'd never let you darken our door and fly our airplanes (work-not play) without an upfront payment. You'll fly there until the next pigeon comes along and then you are history. You can find a better route if you look hard enough. Ziggy1

Gulfsteam and P-F-T

One thing you absolutely, positively, do NOT want to do is P-F-T. Make a pot of coffee and run a board search of that subject. You'll learn very quickly how people view that controversial subject. While you're at it, run a search on Gulfstream. You'll get abundant opinion about the place.

I like your military helo quals. In my 2¢ opinion, you would be lowering yourself by P-F-Ting. You need to get your airplane ratings and build about 200-700 hours of multi airplane time for an airplane job. There are better ways to do it than by P-F-T.

I'd recommend that you get with some guys in your unit and pick their brains about airplane transitions. Any chance for you getting a C-12 transition, either in the Army or in a Reserve unit? That would be the ideal situation and would indeed "jump start" your civilian career.

Hope that helps a little. Good luck with your plans.

PS-Perhaps you can use G.I. Bill benefits to pay for your airplane ratings. You would have to get them at a 14 CFR 141 school, but it would be worth it.

Last edited:
More...

Thanx to all for replying. It's my second day on this forum and I learned how to search old posts... Many on GIA and PFT.

I was only looking at GIA for the time - I did the math... $25000 for 250hrs in a 1900 - that's $100/hr - but I get GI bill, so that's down to $40/hr - Not even Ari Ben could beat that.

Regarding the PFT - I am not interested in staying with GIA as a FO after my 250. I am researching the best and fastest way to get my multi time to become marketable. Of course I want quality time - Renting a plane is expensive and at best, I tool around looking for clouds at night to fly actual IFR. I just thought that getting 121 time was a bonus.

By the time I finish my ratings and actually enroll (possibly) in the GIA FO program and finish it, I'll have 1600+tt, 1300heli, 300AMEL, and about 900+pic - all of which makes me "barely" marketable to the regionals... I just don't want to be labeled a scab or a PFT-er when all I am looking for is the quick way to good multi time. My primary concern is that when I interview, the CA/hr people will ask when/where did I get the 250SIC 121 time. I will be honest and also caveat the reply with I did it for the program and that was all. If I don't get hired anywhere then I'll look at freight, etc...

I guess to make a long post short - Do interviewing CAs really see GIA grads (not necessarily GIA FO's for years) as persona non grata, ie hands off, "he got the plague"???

PS - GCD - your prefs have it so I cant email you - I'll change my prefs to allow it. I'd love to hear what a senior warrant has to say.

We at Comair had a rather large number of pilots who paid for initial training at Comair go to the Majors a few years back when they were hiring. Those airlines include Delta, Northwest, American, Continental, USAirways, and United.
Hope this helps.

Apache54:
I think you'll find that the 250 hour people are actually the ones most of us have the problem with. Those 250 hours of bought SIC time mean that GIA does not have to hire a person to fill that seat, and under 121 that right-seater is a REQUIRED crewmember. So people are paying for the privilege of filling a seat that otherwise would provide another job in this marketplace. As an aside for those who are more knowledgeable about Gulfstream: is there any such thing as a long-term GIA FO? I thought everyone was 250 hours and then out. Good luck in your pursuits, Apache. I think as you continue to research you'll find that your military service and networking will provide you with more opportunities than a place like Gulfstream will.

Apache54,

Although this would make you "a little" more qualified for a regional job, know that right now and for a very long time to come there are "Thousands" of pilots on the street with more than double your flight time. Doing this program for you right now is, in my opinion, a complete waste of time. Not to mention that PFT is for sc*mbags! And those of you who did it @ Comair are no better!

Don't come into this industry with the attitude of, "I love to fly and will do anything to do it", cause that attitude is why our pay and benifits are decreasing. Too many people love this job way too much. The love has to come out before our quality of life will get better. GIA is selling seats that should be flown by an employee not a student!

Now I realize that you are one person and one person not going to GIA will not change the world, but imagine if it started with you. Then sooner or later we just might be able to get rid of these POS operations.

On a side note, you really should consider breaking into the 135 world when you meet the mins. I actually made a heck of alot more flying charter than I do at the regional level. I'm just now getting my head above water. Charter was alot more fun too.

Latest resources

Back