• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Gulfstream Airlines to Major?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The fact remains that with all the success for the individual, PFJ is a blight on the piloting career.

Guys that do Gulfstream contribute to the lowering of the bar in this profession. How can that not be when one is willing to pay for a job as opposed to earning it? How can that not be when management comes up with a plan where F/O's become an additional revenue source rather than an employee?

Yeah, guys that do the program have gone on to bigger and better things. Heck, I might even have one as an F/O one day (won't that be a kick). But I still don't see how anyone can defend what Gulfstream is doing and tell me with a straight face that it's good for the profession.

Just out of interest how do Gulfstream pilots get on with Jumpseating around?? If people really resent GIA surely they would be denying them all over the place.

Does that actually happen or is this whole PFT PFJ thing disliked but not punished ??

Just out of interest how do Gulfstream pilots get on with Jumpseating around?? If people really resent GIA surely they would be denying them all over the place.

Does that actually happen or is this whole PFT PFJ thing disliked but not punished ??

I have never been denied a jumpseat. Many crews don't even know what the hell Gulfstream is. I know tons of pilots jump with GIA daily, even UPS pilots.

D.E. needs to get back to sucking some rope and stop riding on his high horse about GIA.

I'd go there if I could afford it. I might if the ROTC thing doesn't pan out. Who really cares if you pay to sit in the right seat anyway. The debt would suck though.

instructordude is TheGuat, Rhoid, GuppyKiller, TheGuppyKiller, E170GuppyKiller, 410Dude, OUT, RJDC, TheMissingLink, FreightNazi, ABXpert, IHaveAPension, LucyFurr, UPSer, psysix, and all those other usernames he has posted and been banned under.

"D.E. needs to get back to sucking some rope and stop riding on his high horse about GIA"

Trust me, I'll never stop. What's sucking rope?

de727ups said:
The fact remains that with all the success for the individual, PFJ is a blight on the piloting career.

Guys that do Gulfstream contribute to the lowering of the bar in this profession. How can that not be when one is willing to pay for a job as opposed to earning it? How can that not be when management comes up with a plan where F/O's become an additional revenue source rather than an employee?

Yeah, guys that do the program have gone on to bigger and better things. Heck, I might even have one as an F/O one day (won't that be a kick). But I still don't see how anyone can defend what Gulfstream is doing and tell me with a straight face that it's good for the profession.

You know, I'm trying to figure out, how it lowers the bar? I really think what lowers the bar is the constant underbidding by "cheap" carriers, and signing of contracts by pilots of those carriers. How do these pilots not earn it? They dont just pay for it and get to fly. They do have to prove they can fly the plane and the routes throughout the system. When I was pursuing an airline career, I had just over 1000 hours with somewhere around 200 multi. I was picked up by a small carrier in upstate ny. This was shortly before 9/11, and all I heard was, "well I had to fly 3000 hours as an instructor..blah blah blah". I think its called changing times, and that is that. So, was I supposed to turn down that job because I hadn't flown 3000 hours, or because I didnt earn it? Um...no. My second airline had an internship program through ERAU, and guys came in flying the RJ with 600 hours. You heard the same sh*t over there. Frankly, I dont see how it matters. If they made it through training good for them. I wish I had the opportunity myself. Now, I hear some guys getting on with ZERO turbine PIC at CO, and do I get pissed? No, I wish it was me, but If I could get in with that experience, I would have taken it. And to the ones who say that these low time pilots suck, well yeah, some do, but I have flown with some experienced captains that have scared me more.

Everyone needs to accept the fact that things are always changing, especially in this industry.

just my .02

Alright...thanks for ripping me a new a--hole. My comments were not intended as personal insults...last time I checked this was a public forum to voice your opinions.

The several GIA and PFT pilots that I have flown with, were all a dissapointment. Unfortunately, they've all been low time, cocky, arrogant, incompetant, dangerous pilots...who think that they are god's gift to aviation.
I'm sure that not everyone of them are like that, but it seems like anytime GIA and PFT come up in a conversation, every one feels the same. I got more respect for the guy that pays his/her dues one hour at a time CFIing, hauling cargo, or what ever...living on PBJ sandwiches....than the guy that payes $$$ and get 100hrs in 5 days.

peace!

mbw said:
The several GIA and PFT pilots that I have flown with, were all a dissapointment. Unfortunately, they've all been low time, cocky, arrogant, incompetant, dangerous pilots...who think that they are god's gift to aviation.
I'm sure that not everyone of them are like that, but it seems like anytime GIA and PFT come up in a conversation, every one feels the same. I got more respect for the guy that pays his/her dues one hour at a time CFIing, hauling cargo, or what ever...living on PBJ sandwiches....than the guy that payes $$$ and get 100hrs in 5 days.

peace!

I don't get it?

(define low time? A pilot may have 4000 hours, but just upgraded. S/he is a low time Capt.)

Most low time pilots, whether they are new Captains, GIA, PFT, etc..are so new to thier environement, they have a fear of the unknown, a fear of not being socially accepted and a fear of not doing the job as well as expected. When I was low time, I had these fears (no, I am not GIA or PFT) I am (was a low time) a pilot just like everyone else.

No one likes to have fear or be afraid. It is human nature to counter this fear. Anger usually counters fear. And in our aviation culture what also counters fear is cockiness, arrogance and ego.

Unfortunately, they've all been low time, cocky, arrogant, incompetant, dangerous pilots...who think that they are god's gift to aviation.

The question is... do you have the skillset to provide an environment so these low time pilots don't have a fear. No fear means no arrogance.

Why do you have to provide a positve environement? You don't. But then you have deal with arrogance, ego's and cockiness. Instead why don't you take these low time guys who don't know any better and .....make them better! Low time pilots are blank checks. YOU get to fill in the amount. You get to decide what VALUE they will have. Treat low time pilots like whale-sh!t and they will become bitter losers who will fly your family one day. Show them how to fly professionally and NOT be arrogant and they will be professionals

You must be willing to train your replacement. Why? Because you can't fly every jet in the world and one day you'll retire.

And what is the deal with treating GIA/PFT/PFJ guys like second class citizens? Look man, in my world, there would be no PFT/PFJ, but there is and I can't control that. What I can control is HOW I define myself by HOW I treat low time pilots.

I find it humorous.. We live in a capitalistic society. The dollar is king. We all adore the dollar and want more of it so we can do more things. We demand what we want and we want it as fast as we can get it. So GIA markets thier service to appease the needs of the consumer.

We are trying to have it both ways... or in certian instances we should disregard our capitalistic culture and society and shun those who don't know when to discrimminate to the whims of the masses.....

I would NOT recommend Gulfstream. If it was up to me, (which it's not of course) SWA would NOT ever hire a Gulfstream Airlines pilot.

very wrong, hehe.. two guys went to SWA so there! hehe

Latest resources

Back