• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Gulfstream Airlines to Major?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A friend of mine got hired off the street back in the fall of 2005. You're right, I'm not sure that they are hiring captains again at this point either, but he made it sound like it was something that happened pretty often these days. I think there were at least 6 in his class and they were looking for 6 more a couple of months later.

Someone said "Why do you want to fly for a regional?" Personally, I don't, but I'd make the move over to the regional side if I was guaranteed PIC time. No sense in giving up the turbine PIC I'm getting now to go sit as an FO. Also want to be back in FL. I saw something on ClimbTo350 that Colgan was hiring street captains as well.. I'd consider that if they were in FL, but unfortunately the aren't.

Thanks for the honest and fair answers. I'm just trying to do my homework, not stir up the hornet's nest.

citabriapilot said:
Also want to be back in FL...I'd consider that if they were in FL, but unfortunately the aren't.

Why the f**k would you want to come (back) to florida?.....this place is a cesspool.

Just an FYI

To all of those that are willing to pay for training all I will say is this.
There are many people on interview boards at many airlines that feel very strongly that what you are doing is wrong. Those that make it through the cracks and get on at those carriers will never know how lucky or how connected they were. I'm not going to get into a pissing match with a scumbag FO during/after IOE. Just know that the above is how we really feel about you. There are many people who try to make sure that you DON"T get that job. Be warned.

FlyingFarmer said:
There are many people on interview boards at many airlines that feel very strongly that what you are doing is wrong.
Which airlines are these?? There is only a few hiring.

Those that make it through the cracks and get on at those carriers will never know how lucky or how connected they were.[/QUOTE]
You don't know that.

There are many people who try to make sure that you DON"T get that job. Be warned.[/
What are people to be warned about?? Why would somebody try and make sure somebody can't get a job?? So, some folks have parents that are loaded and can afford to send there kids to GIA. Who really cares though... I don't. I don't think most people do either. Remember: an advantage is an advantage. It might be money, connections, pure luck, high IQ, good health, or what ever you dream up. I can remember from high school, a long time ago, having peers whose parents were multi-millionaires and could have bought the GIA. A lot them have ended up doing nothing much but mooching off dad and mom. So much for that advantage huh?! Give the GIA guys and gals a break. Just my thoughts!

Farmer,

This thread isn't about dropping 25K and going to GIA. It's discussing street captain positions, which, as far as I know don't require any money out of pocket.

To Everyone Else:

Can anyone point out the difference between GIA and all those corporate jobs advertising on the employment boards that require you to either pay for your type or pay for your initial training? I personally couldn't afford to drop 18K for a in initial Citation/Learjet type, but looks like a lot of jobs out there require that to break into corporate flying. Do all you guys who hate PFT'ers try to make it where these guys don't get hired at places like SWA, UPS, Airtran, Etc. as well?

dabandermac,

Florida is my kind of cesspool, too... Why do you hate it so much? Maybe you lived in the wrong area? Personally, I loved it and still do. Plus I'm tired of living 3,000 miles from anyone I know and all my family.

FlyingFarmer said:
To all of those that are willing to pay for training all I will say is this.
There are many people on interview boards at many airlines that feel very strongly that what you are doing is wrong. Those that make it through the cracks and get on at those carriers will never know how lucky or how connected they were. I'm not going to get into a pissing match with a scumbag FO during/after IOE. Just know that the above is how we really feel about you. There are many people who try to make sure that you DON"T get that job. Be warned.

LOL!!! What a joke. I certainly don't advocate for PFT, since it certainly isn't good for the industry, but this is just a load. As I said, there are GIA PFTers at every major and national airline in this country. They've been getting hired since GIA opened shop in '91. You're living in a dream world if you think the majors care one bit about where or how you got your PIC time.

Are you for real?

Now who is smoking that rock? Do you actually think that when a bunch of pilots are sitting around talking about who is going to get hired PFT doesn't enter into the equation? You guys are either fools, or are lying to yourselves in the hopes of feeling better. Trust me I won't be giviing ANY specifics but I've heard it does come up. So what if a few of you losers made it through. The rest of us know that what you've done hurts us all.

Enough said.

mach zero said:
I would NOT recommend Gulfstream. If it was up to me, (which it's not of course) SWA would NOT ever hire a Gulfstream Airlines pilot.

Am I the only one that sees the irony here? Don't you have to PFT to get hired at SWA?

FlyingFarmer said:
Now who is smoking that rock? Do you actually think that when a bunch of pilots are sitting around talking about who is going to get hired PFT doesn't enter into the equation? You guys are either fools, or are lying to yourselves in the hopes of feeling better. Trust me I won't be giviing ANY specifics but I've heard it does come up. So what if a few of you losers made it through. The rest of us know that what you've done hurts us all.

Enough said.

You can listen to rumors and a bunch of bravado by guys that don't do the actual hiring, but I've seen the reality. I worked at GIA pre-9/11, and I saw the 20-30 pilots a month leaving to go to the majors. Many of them had offers from multiple airlines. Most of them left with the bare minimum flight times, some with well under 1000 PIC. When the majors start hiring again, the same will be true. As I said before, you're living in a fantasy world if you think the majors care at all where you built your time.

citabriapilot said:
dabandermac,

Florida is my kind of cesspool, too... Why do you hate it so much? Maybe you lived in the wrong area? Personally, I loved it and still do. Plus I'm tired of living 3,000 miles from anyone I know and all my family.

mostly giving you a hard time...

but really.. it's over priced, and many of the people living in south fla are glorified trailer trash. i think anyone that lives in the area now-a-days can atest. i live and go to school in tallahassee and to me it is a breath of fresh air. my dad has been thinking of getting out of the palm beach area also. he says it's just so dang depressing these days.

but if you know what you're getting yourself into, have family in the area, and can afford anything then Enjoy..

Latest resources

Back