• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Gulfstream Airlines Plane Lands With Flat Tire

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I flew on Gulfstream a few weeks ago from Tampa to Key West on a 1900. I was impressed. From the gate agents to the flight crew, to the flight itself, it was very smooth and professional. I have flown on a few so-called "real" regionals, that I can safely say, were not as professionally operated.

And no, I do not work, or have ever worked for Gulfstream.

AK

There's always an exception as your story points out; so which is it - your friend, family, spouse, girlfriend or you were or are now at Gulfstream?. Another example: I spoke with a private pilot who had ridden on Gulfstream and the FO pointed at him and his friend and said told them impolitiely they had to move rows. Then his friend (another private pilot), told the Gulfstream pilot in annoying nasely voice, "Is that for the weight and balance." And by the way, there aren't many "real" regionals that I guess you're trying to tell us are worse then Gulfstream service, ol' Gulfstream lover boy; you should have put in quotations "regionals" because most of the so called "regionals" are not flying in a specific region at all. That's another thread. In the end, I'm sure there are quite a few flights that go alright at GA, but at the end of the day it's a crappy operation that's doing business as a we'll-take-anyone-with-any-experience-or-lack-of-that-will-give-us-money flight school and an airline. That's not a recipe for a quality operation.

Last edited:
There's always an exception as your story points out; so which is it - your friend, family, spouse, girlfriend or you were or are now at Gulfstream?. Another example: I spoke with a private pilot who had ridden on Gulfstream and the FO pointed at him and his friend and said told them impolitiely they had to move rows. Then his friend (another private pilot), told the Gulfstream pilot in annoying nasely voice, "Is that for the weight and balance." And by the way, there aren't many "real" regionals that I guess you're trying to tell us are worse then Gulfstream service, ol' Gulfstream lover boy; you should have put in quotations "regionals" because most of the so called "regionals" are not flying in a specific region at all. That's another thread. In the end, I'm sure there are quite a few flights that go alright at GA, but at the end of the day it's a crappy operation that's doing business as a we'll-take-anyone-that-will-give-us-money flight school and an airline. That's not a recipe for a quality operation.

First off, I have been in this business(part 135) for over 30 years. I think that qualifies me to detemine whether it was a nice flight or not. Noone in my family, nor friends, girlfriend ex or otherwise, spouse ex or otherwise or anyone that I know works or has ever worked at Gulfstream.

As far as the PFT goes. I couldn't care less. I am just glad to live in a country that allows us choices. You chose to not obtain your flight experience at a PFT operation, good for you, you had a choice. Others choose to obtain their flight experience at a PFT operation, good for them, they had a choice.

Get off your soapbox, its old, boring and tiring, this is the real world, get used to it.

Or move to a country that you don't have any choices, then lets see how fast you come back to this one.

Grow up

AK

As far as the PFT goes. I couldn't care less. I am just glad to live in a country that allows us choices. You chose to not obtain your flight experience at a PFT operation, good for you, you had a choice. Others choose to obtain their flight experience at a PFT operation, good for them, they had a choice.

Well said

Then his friend (another private pilot), told the Gulfstream pilot in annoying nasely voice, "Is that for the weight and balance."

Oh boy, I love those "I'm a private pilot and I noticed..." guys who try to tell me something is wrong with my airplane. Don't get me wrong, I'll gladly investigate any possible issue a pax has about the plane's functionality, but don't ever question whether or not I did a flippin' pre-flight (as one ppl guy did). Sorry on a tangent. Yeah, we do have strict rules on where people cannot sit with less than 16 onboard (believe it's courtesy of the CLT crash). Some of our guys are better at asking people to move than others. I can't wait to fly an ERJ so I can sit and talk to private pilots all day about their experiences on other airlines! What a wonderful life!

AK

This isn't regarding all PFT training, but specifically Gulfstream's operation that takes pilots with little experience and throws them into airline operations. I've flown with a few ex GA pilots; and the guys that had experience other places then just GA seem to be much more competent then the guys that went into GA with little or no experience. It's already been discussed in previous threads the questionalble recent accidents of pilots who trained primarily at GA. I won't go into detail about that again. SWA has PFT, but they take experienced (1300 PIC Turbine) people and compensate you well for the cost. Their not in the business of primary flight training. Quite a few years ago, Continental Express had PFT, but you had to have I believe 1000 hours. As one senior person in our training department stated, the airline improved for the better when Coex ended that whole deal because at the "regional" pay level they were missing out on some quality candidates that couldn't afford or justify the expenditure. Also it just lowered the whole mood of the place which made the airline run at a lesser quality.

SWA has PFT

Wrong.
SWA does not charge people for training. They require you to be typed before attending class. They don't care how or where you get the type and do not directly profit from your type rating training.

PFT is when you pay the employer for a training cost that is usually considered a cost of doing business and paid by the employer. At SWA you draw a paycheck from day 1 of class and accomodations are provided.

A type rating is not even required by the FAA for FO's. They type only saves SWA less than an hour of sim time during upgrade training.

Id rather get paid 23 an hr in my first year and 30's in my second than PAY 30,000k TO FLY A BEECH 1900 and be a flight attendant for 250 hrs. How much do u make as a BEECH 1900 CA at guflstream again??????
rk
Another ignorant EMB 145 trainer jet flying for dummies F/O. Just because your white trash daddy from montana cant afford it your bitter.
Did you know first and second year F/O pay on the EMB 145 is HIGHER in Mexico than Skyworst or whatever substandard regional you may work for. To me thats embarrasing.

And you think that it is better to accept a job at more than 50% sub par wage than to pay money as PART OF YOUR PRIMARY TRAINING COST and recieve the highest pay industry wide for your type aircraft? Are you on crazy pills? Good luck upgrading in 15 years.

BTW I can make up to 60K a year as a Captain if I worked my butt off. 40K taking it easy. Kinda the same as your aircraft pay.

60K- 8-10 days off
40K- 15 days off ( and I can get that and more every month)

My total training cost is less than 50K. That includes Private-CFII and GTA program. My degree will cost around 20K (still workin on it)

So what are your numbers? Let me guess.....120K to Riddle, another 20K to finish flight training where Riddle left off, and a five year FO job only to be traded to the lowest bidder later. Oops, sorry! Or maybe you just spent 80K at DCI or FSI and think you know it all now! Which is exactly how you act!

If these numbers are correct (I'm not saying they aren't) then the GIA program is a pretty good deal compared to DCI and FSA. If the true cost from zero time to graduation from the 1900 program is really less than $50K it's a bargain compared to the other two. I don't care how anyone spins it 250 hours as a 121 FO in the 1900 is better time than 250 MEI hours. This still doesn't address the bad idea of paying for the right seat when you should be getting paid to sit there, but in does make me look at GIA in a slightly different light.

As much as it may pain some of you to hear it nobody cares if you went to GIA. If your resume checks all the boxes working for GIA isn't going to hurt you. You may run into the occassional pilot on an interview board that may have a hardon for GIA, but you can make that case for just about any airline. Everybody doesn't like somebody.

None of this changes the fact that The Russion is still the single worst example of a representative for any organization. If were in charge of GIA I'd hunt you down and refund your money just to get you to shut-up. You do GIA more harm than good by far.

Here's what I don't understand: How does gulfstream get away with this?

Flying 121 is revenue service. The "airline" makes money and the pilots are technically employees. Shouldn't they be making at least minimum wage?

The argument that "well the pilots are ok with it" doesn't stand, because that has to be illegal in the first place, contract or not. Doesn't the minimum wage law still apply?

Even if they pay 30K to whore themselves out, isn't GIA legally supposed to give them paychecks for minimum wage?

Or has the gov't not looked into these kind of practices because they wouldn't think anyone would be stupid enough to work as an employee (bringing in revenue) and paying to do it...?

Here's what I don't understand: How does gulfstream get away with this?

Flying 121 is revenue service. The "airline" makes money and the pilots are technically employees. Shouldn't they be making at least minimum wage?

The argument that "well the pilots are ok with it" doesn't stand, because that has to be illegal in the first place, contract or not. Doesn't the minimum wage law still apply?

Even if they pay 30K to whore themselves out, isn't GIA legally supposed to give them paychecks for minimum wage?

Or has the gov't not looked into these kind of practices because they wouldn't think anyone would be stupid enough to work as an employee (bringing in revenue) and paying to do it...?

I'm no expert on how this brothel of an airline legally does it, but from what I understand the company does pay them and hourly rate. They just also charge them (the flying whore) an amount greatly exceeding what they (the flying whore) receives in pay. So at the end of 250 hours the company makes 20-30K or whatever they (the flying whore) is willing and able to get daddy to cough up.

What I don't understand is how the flying public is allowed to be kept in the dark about "pilots in primary training" (according to posts on this board) being used as flight deck crew. Maybe one of them (the flying whores) could explain that.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back