• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Gulfstream Airlines Plane Lands With Flat Tire

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Flat tires on the EMB-120 aren't always obvious. I've seen a tire that looked just fine turn out to be flat. Looks great until bags and pax get loaded then the added weight shows it to be flat. You can land and taxi in with a flat tire and not realize it until you get off the airplane to get the release.

While I don't like GIA much I don't fault the PFT FO for missing the flat.

I'm not going to get involved in the whole "PFT Sucks, GIA sucks, Your Daddy sucks" debate.

However For the record;

I flew with a number of ex Gulfstream guys when I was at ASA.

None of them had problems and one of them was among the very best FO's I ever flew with. All of them are now ASA Capt's or at majors.

Flat tires on the EMB-120 aren't always obvious. I've seen a tire that looked just fine turn out to be flat. Looks great until bags and pax get loaded then the added weight shows it to be flat. You can land and taxi in with a flat tire and not realize it until you get off the airplane to get the release.

While I don't like GIA much I don't fault the PFT FO for missing the flat.

When viewing a flat tire on a multi-tire strut (ie. two tires together on one wheel assembly) the flat tire looks normal and the good tire looks flat. The reason is the good tire is now supporting all the weight and the flat tire is not. Since the flat tire bears no weight it rounds out and looks normal. When doing a preflight if you see a "flat" tire call maintenance and tell them to replace the other one.

I flew on Gulfstream a few weeks ago from Tampa to Key West on a 1900. I was impressed. From the gate agents to the flight crew, to the flight itself, it was very smooth and professional. I have flown on a few so-called "real" regionals, that I can safely say, were not as professionally operated.

And no, I do not work, or have ever worked for Gulfstream.

AK

Thanks AK!

When doing a preflight if you see a "flat" tire call maintenance and tell them to replace the other one.

No shlt Sherlock!

Now explain how to detect the flat tires that don't look flat.

I'm just glad you clued me in on calling MX if I see a flat tire. Never would have figured that out on my own.

This made me giggle. I can just imagine the reaction if I "told" MX which wheel assembly to replace.

When he goes to upgrade class hopefully they'll explain how to write up an airplace.

HINT: You don't diagnose the problem. In this case the writeup would be "left inboard tire appears low."

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back