• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Gulfstream Academy track record

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Look you can dress up the turd to your hearts content and size of the aircraft has absolutely nothing with I have said. What I meant by "flying an airbus" is that you flew it for regional pay. As a result you had a part in lowering the bar ! 85K CA pay to fly an airbus is deplorable.

Can't you see that?

no, I can't... what's the 1st year CA pay at most airlines? .... I thought so..

I'm exiting this hold.. OUT!

Why don't we look at this fact?

Pinnacle 3701 (Pinnacle)
Colgan 3407 (Owned by Pinnacle)

Finally, someone who gets it! The problem here is really Pinnacle's horrible corporate culture and abysmal training environment. Flight 3701 brought the training deficiencies to light and made it clear that Pinnacle management cares more about profits than safety, but because no passengers were lost, it didn't get enough attention to really force the government to put pressure on Pinnacle to fix the situation. The silver lining in the Colgan accident is that it might finally get the feds to do something about Pinnacle's woefully irresponsible management team.

As for GIA, you guys have a really difficult case to build against GIA as far as safety goes when GIA has an unblemished safety record after nearly 20 years of business. Yes, the PFT angle is easy to attack from a professional stand point, but the safety argument just doesn't hold water. FedEx has a hull loss once a year, yet GIA has never had one. The safety argument is a losing battle here.

Again (posted on another tread)

...TWA was a low cost carrier of its time...

Yeah...you may have had a great post but I had to stop right there. TWA was not "a low cost carrier of its time." They flew Ford Tri-Motors along with UAL, picking up mail routes and breaking ground flying passengers. They, along with UAL and Pan-Am gave birth to the airlines. They provided military airlift during WWII and did many joint ventures with the government to help make aviation what it is today.

We even owe static wicks to TWA!

Finally, someone who gets it! The problem here is really Pinnacle's horrible corporate culture and abysmal training environment. Flight 3701 brought the training deficiencies to light and made it clear that Pinnacle management cares more about profits than safety, but because no passengers were lost, it didn't get enough attention to really force the government to put pressure on Pinnacle to fix the situation. The silver lining in the Colgan accident is that it might finally get the feds to do something about Pinnacle's woefully irresponsible management team.

As for GIA, you guys have a really difficult case to build against GIA as far as safety goes when GIA has an unblemished safety record after nearly 20 years of business. Yes, the PFT angle is easy to attack from a professional stand point, but the safety argument just doesn't hold water. FedEx has a hull loss once a year, yet GIA has never had one. The safety argument is a losing battle here.

You are paying to sit right seat on an airliner at an airline that was founded and endorsed by former scabs. It's much easier to buy something then to earn it by passing real checkrides, imagine that. Apparently 1900 training for the buffalo CA was different at colgan vs GIA. Enough for him to fail the inital SHOCKING! Bigsky,Airmidwest,Greatlakes,commutair,colgan 1900 seats were free of charge. It's mostly about the type of individuals that GIA attracts, never mind the 3 fatal airline accidents by former gia pilots. Based on what I have personally seen so far in my career I wouldn't let my dog, if I had one, fly on any airplane operated by a GIA pilot.

Oh by the way it's very easy not to have hull loses when you slap the right seat observers if they try to touch anything. That nice pretty VFR weather over southern florida helps as well. By the way do you guys still use car parts for maintenance?

Last edited:
It's much Based on what I have personally seen so far in my career I wouldn't let my dog, if I had one, fly on any airplane operated by a GIA pilot.

That rules out Southwest, Continental, United, FedEx, UPS etc.... Your dog would pretty much have to travel by train, if you had one.

I've nonrevved on GS a bunch of times to Key West, etc. Never felt uncomfortable at all. While I don't care for the concept of PFT in principle, having worked through the traditional CFI / 135 route myself and not willing to trade that experience for anything fast money can buy, I have since flown with a number of folks from PFT outfits, and find the percentage of good to out-to-lunch pilots from that background to be about the same as everyone else.

While it's true that a certain "easy route" mentality is attracted to PFT, those types do not comprise the entire pilot group of GS or anywhere else like it. Sometimes it's just a matter of what type of influence or opportunity is in front of you at the time you choose to go for it. While PFT may be a factor in the degradation of pilot wages, it is not at blame for this tragedy.

The only credit GIA deserves is they were smart enough to keep their lowest common denominator operation confined to a very small region (ensures constant familiarity) with arguably the most forgiving aircraft in the airline industry (1900). Unlike Colgan and Mesa which are flying around major airline size airplanes in complex networks while compromising safety with hideous treatment of their pilots and bringing the whole profession down.

Based on what I have personally seen so far in my career I wouldn't let my dog, if I had one, fly on any airplane operated by a GIA pilot.

Looking at your profile it would be safe to say you either have been a passenger on a regional or a major airline. GIA probably has hundreds if not a thousand graduates in the major/regional/corporate system. The chances that you have ALREADY flown on a former GIA pilot operated flight is VERY HIGH. It seems like the flight went just fine considering you are on this forum bashing a whole airline and pilot group. As far as your dog is concerned GIA transports over 1 million passengers a year without an accident I think your dog would be just as safe as those passengers. A few weeks ago GIA went through a full inspection from the FAA and they passed maybe you should forward your concerns to the FEDS because you obviously believe you know something that they don't.

Last edited:
Looking at your profile it would be safe to say you either have been a passenger on a regional or a major airline. GIA probably has hundreds if not a thousand graduates in the major/regional/corporate system. The chances that you have ALREADY flown on a former GIA pilot operated flight is VERY HIGH. It seems like the flight went just fine considering you on this forum bashing a whole airline and pilot group. As far as your dog is concerned GIA transports over 1 million passengers a year without an accident I think your dog would be just as safe as those passengers. A few weeks ago GIA went through a full inspection from the FAA and they passed maybe you should forward your concerns to the FEDS because you obviously believe you know something that they don't.

You're kidding, right? While the NTSB does a good job as a federal agency, the FAA is very hit and miss and like I just stated, because GIA stays in a very confined bubble, that helps make it passable. And while there are competent people who come from GIA, it seems to be an operation that guarantees the less competent willing to shell out the money to make it through as evidenced by the accident connection between grads of the program and the latest flurry of accidents. In my personal experience flying with GIA people and in speaking with others, they are more hit and miss than any other background.

Latest resources

Back