• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Gulfstream Academy "pilot factory" SCAM Revealed By CNN

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So she was a CFI. Makes it worse for sure. I will have you note that in the quote you extracted from my post I said she, "could have assisted more assertively." I did NOT say she would have done so. How much time did she log as a CFI, I wonder?

Speculation abounds. I think its still worth considering. The fact remains they were as much as 35 degrees nose up with the yoke all the way in both their laps, and neither one mentioned either the airspeed nor said anything about "push the yoke forward!"

Actually if you look at the tape, they were actually climbing the first few seconds after the shaker or pusher. Along with the 20 degree pitch up the FO probably thought they were climbing and put the flaps up, they never noticed the speed and the drop on the VSI and so they never recovered. But the CA did such a bad job flip flopping the rudders fully, very doubtful they would have survived it anyways.

We're talking about principles here. Many suggest a minimum of an ATP for 121 flying. I concur that if they end up requiring that for 121, they should also require that for 135 & 91k. In this case however, I don't think it would have made a difference.

Nice try? I wonder how many people in those "super duper massive 172's" you refer to have been killed in the last 5 - 10 years? Sadly, I'm sure the number is higher than it was in this tragedy. My point was you had an ATP and an FO that was a 1600 hour instructor operating this flight, and it appears they both f'd up. If instructing is the holy grail base mechanism as so many seem to suggest - then how did this happen?

I am playing devils advocate here for a reason. I think GIA is fair game regarding the PFT aspect, but to suggest they had anything to do with this guy some 3,000 hours later is absurd. And the one thing that seems to stick in my mind is GIA has never (knock on wood) had a fatality. How many other regionals can say that?

Personally, what may have helped to avoid this, and avoid the PFT aspect is to really raise the bar. Why not make it 2500 hours to fly pax in whatever form of FAR they're flown in.

I agree with you, this has nothing to do with being a CFI or having 1500. And the facts are that these pilots were high timers anyways. Gulfstream is a problem because of the type of people that place attracts. It has nothing to do with the school, the personalities that the place attracts that continue to keep the Gulfstream stigma alive.

So she was a CFI. Makes it worse for sure. I will have you note that in the quote you extracted from my post I said she, "could have assisted more assertively." I did NOT say she would have done so. How much time did she log as a CFI, I wonder?

Speculation abounds.

When I went through ALPA's accident investigation courses, the first thing they taught was that you don't speculate. You take facts, rule out possibilities and let the evidence lead you to the answer.
Around this board, we assert conclusions first based on bias, emotion and personal agendas, then we hunt for anecdotes that support that particular conclusion.

Fortunately, the NTSB doesn't subscribe to this view. If you want to know what happened, read through the documents and start with what is known. If your thesis is that the captain wouldn't have stalled the airplane if he only had 500 hours of instructor time, or that he wouldn't have survived that 500 hours of instructor time and be a 121 pilot, what evidence supports that view? One possibility might be to look at the CFI washout rate.

Gulfstream's training department didn't cause Colgan 3407.

This dildo in the CNN video makes some of the dumbest comments ever that show this idiot knows nothing about the pilots involved in the accidents. CNN is stupid for not doing research to before running a idiot on national tv making comments like he did.

Idiot " These accidents happened because GIA has soft training of a pilots initial pilot foundation"

Flagship - Jesse Rhodes - Off the street captain at GIA came from, i believe, American Eagle via Embrey Riddle. So its either Riddle or AE weak training. He was at Pinchanickle for over 3 years, buy the way Pinchanickle High Altitude training is very poor at best.

Colgan - Marvin Renslow - Primary training at, unnamed flight school, did 250 hours at GIA on an airplane the has neither stall safty features installed on the Q. Primary training on the Q at colgan, 3000 plus hours and 6 check rides at Colgan

GTA - Mark Whiley - Pilot on the 172 mid air, had his family with him and yes probably wasn't flying the airplane 100 percent of his attention outside. But neither was the other plane a Mutli Engine with an experienced pilot who had his CFI. Partial fault for this accident was Pompano tower and FXE tower hand off. Cant blame this on any one individual

I personally knew all of the above mentioned pilots, all were exceptional men and I take nothing from them. God rest, bless, their souls for they have all lost their lives and hopefully have taught us all something new in our experiences.

I'm out!

Actually, they are. GIA's safety record is impeccable. Twenty years without a single fatality. About the worst thing that's ever happened to them has been a gear malfunction and the crew had to land with the nose gear still up. No injuries. Not even a scraped knee.
I'm not talking about Gulfstream Airlines. I'm talking about Gulfstream Training Academy. This is the corelation between many fatalities and that flight school.

Right and the most frightening part is the PULLED the flaps in a stall recovery... Which is to say, how can this women have been a CFI, doing possibly 100's of stalls with students over her career (1200+ hours of CFI must take 3 years to do).. and study aerodynamics (or did she?).. and then react this way in an emergency?

I have my own theory on this, but that's for another thread.

I agree with you, this has nothing to do with being a CFI or having 1500. And the facts are that these pilots were high timers anyways. Gulfstream is a problem because of the type of people that place attracts. It has nothing to do with the school, the personalities that the place attracts that continue to keep the Gulfstream stigma alive.
Thats rich, comming from a gheyjhetter!
Priceless!
PBR

I personally knew all of the above mentioned pilots, all were exceptional men and I take nothing from them. God rest, bless, their souls for they have all lost their lives and hopefully have taught us all something new in our experiences.

I'm out!
Too bad they weren't exceptional aviators, now they have seats next to Jeffery Dahmer, John Gacy, and Ted Bundy in infamy.
Sorry to burst your bubble, they weren't accidents, these tragedies happened because they were sub-standard aviators, by definition. Did you instruct any of them?
PBR

No one seems to care that TWO of the crashes were from the same company PINNACLE. 3701 was a Pinnacle flight. 3407 was Colgan (who is owned by Pinnaacle) Why does this not get the attention it deserves? Sure, ex GIA people were on the planes but GIA does not fly the planes they crashed, so........Who trained them on the planes they DID crash? Oh.... ok Pinnacle training. Am I the only person out there that sees this?

Latest resources

Back