• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Gulfstream Academy "pilot factory" SCAM Revealed By CNN

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
All GulfSuck cares about is putting money in the coffers.

Won't disagree with you there, but the rest of my point holds water. And here's another scary variable. I believe in the 21 years Gulfstream Int'l Airlines has been in business, they have managed to achieve a ZERO fatality safety record. ZERO. So far... Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzan

All GulfSuck cares about is putting money in the coffers.

Won't disagree with you there, but the rest of my point holds water. And here's another scary variable. I believe in the 21 years Gulfstream Int'l Airlines has been in business, they have managed to achieve a ZERO fatality safety record. ZERO. So far... Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

These guys would never see that side of it.....They dont care about that. Sad.

The harsh reality of getting any sort of real regulatory action is that it goes against the interest of those who pump huge amounts of lobbying dollars into D.C. It's in the interest of the airlines to keep your pay low and "public outrage" will only last until the next big story hits the airwaves and then it'll be forgotten. However, I completely understand where you guys are coming from...As long as the airlines can get away such low time requirements and have a seemingly endless supply of folks wanting to "live the dream", they will continue to make a joke of the profession.
I'm on the other side of the coin but with as similar problem. As an A&P mechanic, I feel that there should also be MUCH more regulation into our field. Companies have gotten away with rampant outsourcing and many have a very high ratio of uncertificated to certificated people. I would love to see a system more in line with the European model. Higher standards would mean a better trained mechanics, a larger barrier to entry, and ultimately better pay and QOL.
I suppose that this is an industry wide problem and sometimes I think aviation is a lost cause altogether in light of what a career in aviation (pilot or mech.) has become.

good post... to add.... it is much more than an industry wide problem.... it is an American cultural problem.....

Many if not most industries are going through radical change..... simply put American consumers what the most for the minimum.....

Pilots, when they function as consumers, do the same in other industries that they loath passengers for doing in the airline industry.... max for the min

FedEx Flight 80 - Captain - USMC, F/O - USAF, Lt. Col (Ret.)
American Flight 587 - Captain - USAF
American Flight 1420 - Captain - USAF

This is an outrage!!! The public should know about these "Pilot Factories" and should shut them down! Their pilots are dangerous. Just like Maverick!!! AAAHHH!!!! Congress!! CONGRESS!!!! WHERE ARE YOU?? SULLY, SAVE US!!!!!

Doesn't it worry you that many (surly not all) of these Gulfstream trainees might not accrue a lot of PIC experience until they actually take command of a passenger carrying airliner? The test of a pilots judgement aught not be with 19-100 paying passengers in the back.

you can theoretically get a 250 Commercial pilot with minimal solo time, into the 1900 for an additional 200-300 hours of Multi-turbine time, then to the right seat of a CRJ, then Left seat.. first PIC being a CRJ.. that worries me a lot.

A 1500 CFI with 1200 of PIC in Pipers, and light twins has been tested a lot of times, as is the USAF 2500 pilot with 8-10 years of service.

Please, let's not talk about the ATP in this thread. This is about how Gulfstream and GIA sucks, as do all their pilots *cough cough* PFT_128.
Hell, not even Mesa has been called out by CNN. That's bad!

FedEx Flight 80 - Captain - USMC, F/O - USAF, Lt. Col (Ret.)
American Flight 587 - Captain - USAF
American Flight 1420 - Captain - USAF

This is an outrage!!! The public should know about these "Pilot Factories" and should shut them down! Their pilots are dangerous. Just like Maverick!!! AAAHHH!!!! Congress!! CONGRESS!!!! WHERE ARE YOU?? SULLY, SAVE US!!!!!

haha, this is my favorite post so far.

Unfortunately, this sort of sound reasoning is not welcomed by the self-appointed experts on FI. How dare you rain on our narcissistic hysteria with that inconvenient piece of evidence!

Hey,
As long as Britney Spears keep her shaved hoho under wraps Gulfstream is gonna remain the "sweetheart" target for the media. If the pressure stays on long enough congress, will enact legislation to "fix" the problem. The cheapest and easiest "fix" will be the requirement for all pilots flying 121, to be ATP rated.
PBR

Actually the easiest fix would be to make an example of Gulfscam by having the DOT and FAA pull the plug and shut down both the airline and the puppy mill.

Okay just a question for all those who say you should have many, 1500, hours before you are allowed to fly 121. How well does flying 2000 hours in a 172 prepare you for the 121 flying environment? Sure you will be good at basic airmanship but how many times do you fly at night, in ice conditions, with a stick shaker, pusher, and complex airplane. If you watch the video the captain did not touch the power and lost 35kts of airspeed, changed configuration three times with flaps and gear, autopilot still on, and yet to touch the power. AP kicks off, the airplane i am sure is trimmed nose up to the sky, ac pitches up stalls shaker/pusher, then the captain pulls back after the pusher. How does flying a 172, Archer, Arrow, Seminole, what ever prepare you for this kind of flying. And its not GIA fault as they do not have AP or shaker/pusher on the 1900. I think it would be Colgan's responsibility to train a pilot on the AC that he is flying. I have trained many pilots in the sim for GIA and have seen many 1000, 2000 hours plus pilots fail. So question is how is one to gain experience flying in the type of weather and environment the airline pilots fly in? I just don't understand how pilots are to gain experience to fly for a 121 carrier. GIA has trained over 3000 pilots without ever having a fatality at our airline. But all of a sudden a pilot that has been gone for 4 years has 3000 plus hours, at least 6 checkrides, 1 being a fed ride for his ATP, all while at Colgan and nobody ever recognized the faults of this pilot, but its GIA fault the the training he did 4 years ago?? Just don't understand.

Actually the easiest fix would be to make an example of Gulfscam by having the DOT and FAA pull the plug and shut down both the airline and the puppy mill.

Funny thing is GIA is an FAA approved training program and facility. If you want to point fingers point to the FAA for allowing GIA to train pilots with a multi-comm cert.

The statistics are NOT in favor of Gulfstream.

Actually, they are. GIA's safety record is impeccable. Twenty years without a single fatality. About the worst thing that's ever happened to them has been a gear malfunction and the crew had to land with the nose gear still up. No injuries. Not even a scraped knee.

Latest resources

Back