Guilty!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Redflyer:

Loosing my certificate would cost me over $5,000,000.00 in net present value of future earnings at 6% inflation. That isn't teeth?

Ask the Delta and American pilots who enjoyed $300,000 incomes, who then retired with over $3,000,000.00 how valuable their certificates were.

The FAA has the power to keep me out of my profession - that is some teeth.

Last edited:
I do have to say that thier defence was totally stupid ... they had NO defence... they where wrong. The money they spent .... thier choice. If they knew they were guilty (I am sure they knew) they could have pleeded guilty and not spent the money.

Dog Driver:

The first Defense was on Constitutional grounds. However the Court of (no) jurisdiction will not fairly hear a Constitutional defense, this defense was crafted on local law, probably having to do with the fact that they did not actually drive anywhere under the influence.

For example, I might think of having a wild weekend with Anna Kornikova (sp?) but the intent without any action is not enough for me to say I have done it. Sure it is a stupid defense to a stupid prosecution. The Federal Government has the legal tools to deal with this and they have already dealt with it through revocation of the Pilots' Certificates.

All this defense did is to preserve the case for appeal.

~~~^~~~

All this defense did is to preserve the case for appeal.

~~~^~~~

I think I will agree with you on that one.

I did learn / re-learn something though .....

Seems I might have miss-assumed that local government has no right here ....

(1) On request of a law enforcement officer, submit to a test to indicate the percentage by weight of alcohol in the blood, when—

(i) The law enforcement officer is authorized under State or local law to conduct the test or to have the test conducted; and

(ii) The law enforcement officer is requesting submission to the test to investigate a suspected violation of State or local law governing the same or substantially similar conduct prohibited by paragraph (a)(1), (a)(2), or (a)(4) of this section.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Something is just not right here ....... Just can't put my finger on it.

I realize they lose their income by losing the certificate, but there is no jail time/fine in violating an FAR. Just like with the FCC, you can get a tranmitter and broadcast 24/7 on aviation frequencies, and all they can do is come and take your transmitter.

Or better yet, those cases when the FAA has found someone (Part 91) without a license, what do you think they do to them? They tell them not to do it again. There's nothing to take!That's my point.

Even ALPA will tell you that you have to submit to testing to local law enforcement. They had no choice there.

What really bothers me, though, and no one has really said it... Their big defense was that they couldn't be guilty, they weren't actually in control on the flight or in charge of the aircraft. This should bother every pilot. When you put your signature on that logbook and take the plane, YOU are the CAPTAIN. Ok, I realize if some tug driver hits the side, the captain isn't going to get it for that. But sheesh, guys, you intended to fly, gimme a break.

I realize they were scraping the bottom of the barrel to get out of this. But as a professional, I am offended they tried to drag all airline pilots, and their authroity, down with them.

I hate the TSA, too. But that guy with the high school education has all the power. Just be polite, do what they ask, and deal with it later. If you saw the video, the captain wasn't exactly.... professional... going thru security.

~~~^~~~ said:
After the revocation of their Certificates for proper cause, ALPA took the position that they were no longer pilots and the union could not defend them in this civil matter.

They are out over $100,000.00 in defense costs, out of their own pockets.

That's just great. ALPA has no trouble taking 1.95% of their gross reportable income for their career, but when the guys need help they are just left out to dry. Makes me real happy about sending in my dues check every month.

A couple of police officers in my area were recently convicted on felony drug dealing charges. Even though these guys were completely wrong, hoardes of fellow cops, (many from distant jurisdictions) lined the courthouse and made public appearances in defense of thier fallen buddies. Oh, and their union did not consider these guys to be "ex-cops" before, during or after the trial.

Taking a few lessons from our public servants would be advantageous to us as a whole, from time to time.

But that's just like pilots. Most pilots won't stand up for anybody else. As long as a pilot has his pension, job, boat, house, dog, whatever, most pilots don't give a rat's arse about what happens to another pilot. That is why management will always win over pilots. Pilots won't stand up for any other pilot because of what it may cost them or how it might look. Pilots should really take a look at how other union folks behave and try to learn something. What those two guys did was wrong, but no matter what, those guys were one of us, and that blood should have run thicker than water.

Ask the Delta and American pilots who enjoyed $300,000 incomes, who then retired with over $3,000,000.00 how valuable their certificates were.

I am kind of curious, where did you get the $3,000,000.00 figure? No one I know with delta has ever retired with that amount of money

Latest resources

Back