Guilty!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
warbirdfinder said:
I am kind of curious, where did you get the $3,000,000.00 figure? No one I know with delta has ever retired with that amount of money
A friend who hired in when he was in his middle twenties in the late 1940's retired off the L1011 in the late 80's after a rotation in the training department and management went out with considerably more than that. He was one of those lucky few who only spent a few months in the right seat at Delta, back when Delta was a whole lot smaller than ASA was in 2000.

Heck we had a handful of lowly ASA pilots who invested 401K funds in ASA stock prior to the Delta purchase that went out with over a million in their 401K and I'm aiming at well over a million by saving a big chunk of my income - and of course we have no retirement, just what we save.

Point was, your Certificate is valuable, protect it.

Wasted said:
But that's just like pilots. Most pilots won't stand up for anybody else. As long as a pilot has his pension, job, boat, house, dog, whatever, most pilots don't give a rat's arse about what happens to another pilot. That is why management will always win over pilots. Pilots won't stand up for any other pilot because of what it may cost them or how it might look. Pilots should really take a look at how other union folks behave and try to learn something. What those two guys did was wrong, but no matter what, those guys were one of us, and that blood should have run thicker than water.

I completely agree on the basis of brotherhood (something which this industry is seriously lacking). But, I also hold the opinion that they would not have put themselves in this position, as well as all of us in an uncomfortable position now, if they were thinking about brotherhood. They knowingly took control of an aircraft and were prepared to fly under the influence, disregarding all the rules associated with it. They broke the company rules. They broke the FAA rules. They broke state and federal laws for operating under the influence. The fact is, it was selfish. They cared about themselves at that point.

I don't think we as pilots should have hung them out to dry. You know you wouldn't hang your brother if he screwed up; you'd help him realize his lack of judgement and find a way to pick up the pieces. Even so, they need to accept the consequences of their actions. And accept the fact that they hurt us all by what they did.

I wonder if anyone asked the defense what their plans were after the tug disconnected? Or were they planning on being towed all the way to PHX?

I have zero sympathy for these clowns and I hope they get the max possible punishment. You can save all the pollyanna brotherhood comments in a case like this. There are some people who do not belong amongst the professionals who do their jobs day in and day out with pride and honor.

Biatch5 said:
dumba$$es(the pilots that is)

cant believe they went to court over this

they knew what they did
Yea, let's do away with the US Constitution...no more of this due process crapolla. Plus, we'll be able to own slaves again and women won't have the right to vote...it's going to be awsome times...when do we start?

A few observations I have about this thread,

1. The pilots involved were idiots to do what they did.

2. Florida has now set the precident and opened the door for criminal prosecutions related to aircraft operations.

3. Referring to #2...It is now conceivable that a pilot can be charged with vehicular manslaughter for a death resulting from an accident, if it can be shown that he/she broke even the smallest FAR during the flight. (remember we are already seeing this type of thing in Asia.)

4. France has a military!!?? I have seen many many pictures of the German army in Paris, and I have seen many many pictures of the U.S. Army in Paris......I do not remember ever seeing a picture of the French Army in Paris!! :) (Ok Ok, they did help us out during the revolution....but I think saving them from the Goose stepping crowd.....twice, more than evens the favor bucket out.)

5. Back to the trial, I spent some time in Miami during the trial. Every night on the news they would lead with Floridas prosecution of the uber nasty and evil AWA pilots...complete with live coverage. Then they would gloss over the 14 bloody bullet ridden corpses that Dade county scraped off the street that day......followed by a commercial for some miracle sweeping broom.....then return with a live update of the Michael Jackson trial......followed by a final update on the antichrist pilots and their drunken rampage of terror through the metal detectors with a hot cup of coffee. Florida and Miami have their priorities all out of whack when a couple of drunks and a pedophile(alleged) take precidence over the daily gang/drug violence taking place all over the city.

6. Lose their certificates? Absolutly. Lose their job? Of course. Barred from ever flying 121 again? Yes. Sit in jail for five years with gang/drug crowd? Seems a little over the top to me.

Now if they were allowed to take off and piled it in among all those corpses just how much time should we have given them if they lived. These guys could have taken a plea, served probably 6 months or so and been done with it. Maybe even 30 days and a half way house.

They risked the trial to take a chance on no time and that risk went about as well as their night of drinking followed by aggrevating a TSA guy over coffee. Dumb and dumber.

2. Florida has now set the precident and opened the door for criminal prosecutions related to aircraft operations.

3. Referring to #2...It is now conceivable that a pilot can be charged with vehicular manslaughter for a death resulting from an accident, if it can be shown that he/she broke even the smallest FAR

Points 2 and 3 are perhaps the most troubling of this entire case. ALPA should take a strong line on this or it will come back to bite us in the behind in the future.

Charterpuke is right, a plea agreement was struck between prosecution and defense -- they were gonna serve 14 mos. WTF is up w/ this judge? What a complete waste of tax payer's $. We all know they're guilty, they know they're guilty, they were willing to plead guilty and serve time.

WTF is up w/ ALPA and where is the outrage from other pilots??? You don't abandon your brethern when the chips are down. I don't in any way, manner, shape or form condone what they did. What they did is beyond the pale and sickens me. Nevertheless, they paid their ALPA dues and should have been afforded some legal assistance from ALPA. I personally think they should sue ALPA and get all of their dues paid back. This is totally unacceptable. Think about it. If you're in trouble, it could be you....

Latest resources

Back