GTA/Dallas Alum

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Aaaaa, GTA stories...

I remember flying the Vtail banana into Oak city when a lightning strike blew out all the airport lights.

I remember racing the two 402s to austin at like, 2am and the goofy pilot I was beating calling the airport in sight 20 miles out to get clearance...in the fog.

I remember flying the baron to amarillo (when that guy took vacation) but having to bring a sleeping bag cause the heater would blow out before you could get to wichita falls.

I remember the crazy fool who ran a 402 dry of fuel, landed on a road (at night) got fuel, and the state patrol blocked the road so he could fly home...he quit the next day.

I rememeber a foreign guy losing oil pressure on an engine, shutting it down, flew in and dropped the cargo, fired em both up to get off the ground, and then flying all the way back to dallas single engine.

I rememeber the two mechanics, one was a crotch rocket yahoo and the other always had a money making scheme that seemed to involve buying property on some island nobody ever heard of.

I rememeber getting a lecture from the DOM about leaving the mag switch on, then having a screwdriver fall out of the instrument panel on rotation...he never lectured me again.

I remember landing a banana in houston with the throttle wide-fricking open cause one of the afore mentioned yahoos forgot to torque the throttle cable nut.

I remember having to buy duct tape so we could seal the dam curtains in monroe, so we could get ANY sleep on the 10 hour layover.

I remember loading airnets freight in shreveport, and wondering why i was making half of their pay and flying THEIR freight on THEIR routes.

I remember riding along to lubbock and the other pilot smoking a half a pack of nasty cigarettes before we landed.

I rememeber on that same route, landing a 402 with balls of ice the size of grapefruit on the front edge of the tip tanks...basically requiring full power to maintain the DESCENT.

...good times, good times!

Ah ole Ghetto Trans Air, 05 alumni here. The year I worked the was one of the most fun years of my life. 05 Was the year that the canceled checks were allowed to be digital. A lot of uncertainty and changes that year. Freight dog company's were going out of business everywhere. GTA was trying to get into the on demand charter business and out of the scheduled runs. I wonder from time to time how that company's doing.

For a trip down memory lane for some of the other alumni,

401-2's - 3378Q, 4165G, 5421M, 3260Q, 3217Q, 31DB

Baron's - 44DC, 577W, 5740V, 69RP

Dr killers - 361BC, 1194A, 236CH, 1096W

I remember the Hobby agent tell me she had 600 pounds for me, load 6CH, tip it on its tail, and when I had them reweigh it it was just under 950 lbs.

^^^ omg, dont remind me...i cant say i ever clipped a tree with the belly of an airplane, but I sure scared the hell out of one :p

Latest resources

Back