Grinstein says Delta will be ok!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
B6Guy said:
Hey General, back when the A320 CA rate was $78/hr, were you concerned?? And what did you think when the company just a month or so after 9/11 gave us a raise to $110/hr. Why? Because the A320 was making a profit.

The E190 hasn't flown one single revenue seat-mile yet. Once it has established a strong profit history for JB, I and most of us here at JetBlue have faith that the pay rate will go up.

History shows it happened before, the same management team is here [with the addition of DBushy] so there is reason for us to believe that the rates will go up.

You have beat this subject to death, and have been told over and over again that the pilots did have extensive meetings over the low rates. Yet you continue to ignore this in your rant over the pay rates, Now listen-up: we complained!! If management doesn't raise the rates, we will have to rethink our options. But not now, not with profits so meager or non-exsistant.

We are a young company, and growing rapidly, we need to be lean. We need to help the company through these tough times

You defend the senior Delta captains coming back under contract to fly, to help the company, which slows the recall of furloughed pilots. Which keeps your furloughed pilots with NO PAY. Is this better than low pay for a year or so?? I don't believe we are wrong to defend and have faith in our management.

Come back to the E190 pay at JB in two years. There will be a track record to point at for facts.

Man alive, don't get mad at me. As far as your E190 pay raise in the future, I hope so. You DESERVE IT. Did you hear that? I said you DESERVE IT. Your company is doing well, like SW, and you deserve to be paid accordingly. The bad problem is that your company set the wage level way down initially, and that will affect many more pilots who are negotiating NOW. Any regional with less than 100 seats will start at your rate, or lower. Anyone getting those E190s in the near future will start at your rates. That is my point. I hope your rates rise up high into the sky....

As far as our retired guys coming back and not bringing back the furloughs fast enough, you seem to not understand the situation. Many of the widebody captains who were giving 24 hours notice to retire were line check airman, or sim guys. They may not have given a month notice, or 6 weeks. They were looking at the GATT rate, which changes each month and can make a huge difference in that lump sum payment. So, what should Delta have done? Put out huge bids on what positions may or may not be there in the future? It was immpossible. So, this program was created to avoid parking huge fleets because 18 777 Captains decided on Aug 31st to go the next day and drop their schedules.... Also, not enough line check guys or sim guys can slow down the recalls---because people on smaller equipment can't move up to larger equipment due to training shortages. It was all because we allowed 24 hours notice to retire. You know I am correct here, and you probably are smart enough to understand this. Believe me, I want all of our furloughs back ASAP.(even Dave Griffen.....)

Bye Bye--General Lee

Your company is doing well, like SW, and you deserve to be paid accordingly.

Not true General, even here at JB we are just squeaking by with fuel where it is. A profit this quarter is "touch and go". A larger starting payscale on the 190 would have crushed any possible profit. So quote the General "So, what should JB have done?"

So, what should Delta have done? Put out huge bids on what positions may or may not be there in the future? It was immpossible.

Bye Bye--General Lee

So it's OK to hose your young at DAL had to but not JB?

banger said:
Your company is doing well, like SW, and you deserve to be paid accordingly.

Not true General, even here at JB we are just squeaking by with fuel where it is. A profit this quarter is "touch and go". A larger starting payscale on the 190 would have crushed any possible profit. So quote the General "So, what should JB have done?"

So, what should Delta have done? Put out huge bids on what positions may or may not be there in the future? It was immpossible.

Bye Bye--General Lee

So it's OK to hose your young at DAL had to but not JB?

Easy there bud, I know you have a play in both airlines. YOU KNOW WE COULD NOT BRING BACK PEOPLE IF THEY DIDN'T KNOW WHO WOULD LEAVE. Dalpa created the contract in a way that gave 24 hours notice to retire---not only the senior guys, anyone. Guys that were 51 years old were bailing. No one knew who would do what. As far as the slow recalls, well, I can understand not wanting to furlough someone twice. They were very conservative, and maybe they know something about the future parking of airplanes that you and I do not. Initially DL wasn't going to recall at all this Summer, and Dalpa convinced them to do atleast 125. How can we be hosing our young when we don't have IOE pilots to fly with them or sim guys? Maybe you didn't know that our sim labs are empty. Why would that be? Primarily because all of the sim guys are on the line now trying to cover flights. The training people are still going in there and trying to qualify people a few at a time, but scheduling calls up and says we have nobody to cover a Frankfurt trip tonight.....He is then gone 3 days... 3 of our recent recalls went to LA on the 767. That is how short we are, but we have to cover the flights to create some revenue in the busy Summer months. Now that we are in the Fall, we can do more, but now we are in court....

As far as Dave Bushey goes, he is probably watching everything you say, and since you have no union over there, how do you protect yourself if Bushey calls you in to tell you to stop asking so many questions? Do many guys complain to upper management there? Can they?

And, I understand that every airline except SW is struggling with fuel (even though your leader said you would do great with $80 a barrel oil....). The key here is that your management gave you wages a ways back when oil wasn't as much. I can understand changing that NOW, but why not 8 months ago? Hey, $89 an hour for 12th year Captain is low. Some of you say it will change---great. How about raising the fares $5 and giving that to all of your hard working employees? JB often sets the fares themselves. $5 more would help and every other airline would follow suit..... You know I am right bud.

Bye Bye--General Lee

OK but...

General, I can see that setting the rate low at first could cause some issues for other companies looking at the E190, but apparently no one was worried when we were being paid only $78/hr in the A320. That got fixed.

Anyone looking at E190 rates should take a look at the pay history at JB before they jump to conclusions about our starting payrate.

As for profitability, profits are very slim, to non-exsistant. Fuel is killing us too. Our hedges are only good for about 20-25% of our total useage. Not good.

So while we may be profitable, for now we are not PROFITABLE like a few years back. If prices rise, or fuel drops then five figure profit sharing bonuses could be seen again. For now take home wages is all there is.

I just met a retired Delto CA that took his lump sum over a year ago, on the 767ER and was still flying on contract. Glad for him, sad for the furloughed guys.

I so understand the 24hour retirement 'thing' but should the guy I met still be flying after a year plus??? I don't know the specifics, but it just seems that his replacement should have made it up through the ranks by now. Don't know.

I'm not mad, just irritated to read over and over again '12 yr E190 rates' and '5 year contracts' and 'cleaning the cabin [or lavs]' etc, etc BLAH, BLAH. Even though these items have been explained and beat to death. Oh well, such are the forums

Edit: After reading your above post, we would be glad to raise prices $5-10, but is Song, now under BK, going to match price increases?? I don't think so. Prices are going to stay low. Song will do everything to hold market share.

Last edited:
B6Guy said:
General, I can see that setting the rate low at first could cause some issues for other companies looking at the E190, but apparently no one was worried when we were being paid only $78/hr in the A320. That got fixed.

Anyone looking at E190 rates should take a look at the pay history at JB before they jump to conclusions about our starting payrate.

As for profitability, profits are very slim, to non-exsistant. Fuel is killing us too. Our hedges are only good for about 20-25% of our total useage. Not good.

So while we may be profitable, for now we are not PROFITABLE like a few years back. If prices rise, or fuel drops then five figure profit sharing bonuses could be seen again. For now take home wages is all there is.

I just met a retired Delto CA that took his lump sum over a year ago, on the 767ER and was still flying on contract. Glad for him, sad for the furloughed guys.

I so understand the 24hour retirement 'thing' but should the guy I met still be flying after a year plus??? I don't know the specifics, but it just seems that his replacement should have made it up through the ranks by now. Don't know.

I'm not mad, just irritated to read over and over again '12 yr E190 rates' and '5 year contracts' and 'cleaning the cabin [or lavs]' etc, etc BLAH, BLAH. Even though these items have been explained and beat to death. Oh well, such are the forums

I don't like the PRPs hanging around either. They will go, eventually, and they actually have seniority numbers below the furloughs now. Will a judge keep them around? I don't think so, atleast not for long. They have retired, and most have served their purpose. We need to get training back up and running, and the Fall will allow that since we have scaled back. They are all supposed to be gone by Dec 31st, and recent bids have tried to compensate, although the 200 retirements on Sep 1st did surprise a lot of people. And, overall that program HELPED a lot of people because many of them were 53 or 54 years old---and even if they stayed an extra year, they are leaving 5 years early overall. Look at NW, they don't have that option and hardly any have retired. They will furlough a lot more over there, and we are short. The PRP program facilitated a lot of early retirements. 125 recalls were done this Summer, or are in progress right now, thanks to DALPA. That is better than none. I hope all come back soon.

Bye Bye--General Lee

"How about raising the fares $5 and giving that to all of your hard working employees? JB often sets the fares themselves. $5 more would help and every other airline would follow suit..... You know I am right bud."

Nope wrong again, jetblue is higher than Song, DAL does not seem to be following!

The perennial killer of fare raises, NWA, is in Ch.11, coincidence?

Last edited:
Dizel8 said:
"How about raising the fares $5 and giving that to all of your hard working employees? JB often sets the fares themselves. $5 more would help and every other airline would follow suit..... You know I am right bud."

Nope wrong again, jetblue is higher than Song, DAL does not seem to be following!

The perennial killer of fare raises, NWA, is in Ch.11, coincidence?

Exactly! General, is Song in buisness to make a profit? I'm not sure, it appears to be just a weapon to fight off LCC's. Our Management has told us they would love to charge another $5 per ticket but Song will not match. Song seems to be around to undercut the competition. Right now we charge more than Song. I don't set policy but I can bet that if Song matched JB, JB would raise fares where they compete.

Thanks to DALPA the furlough recalls went from 30 a month as directed by the Arbitrator down to just 10.

Thanks to DALPA, green slipping was allowed with pilots on furlough.

Thanks to DALPA the No Furlough clause was given away (and yes, we won that after a long and grueling fight).

Thanks to DALPA scope was weakened (net result, job loss).

Thanks to DALPA code share was increased (again net result, job loss).

Thanks to DALPA Post Retirement Pilots got to have their cake and eat it too.

Thanks to DALPA Post Retirement Pilots were allowed to drop trips they were so desperately needed for and instead got paid to sit at home and do union work. Working as a "retired" pilot, I am still not clear as to who's interest they were representing while serving the union.

Thanks to DALPA the company was forced to project manning based on 24 hours notice of retirement.

Thanks to DALPA the reserve rules stripped away pilot seniority.

I could go on and on but I need to get back to filing out airline applications and networking with buddies at profitable companies. DALPA will meet this Monday and put the final nail in the coffin of the bottom 25% soley for the benefit of those at the top. It's not personal. It is just the nature of those who are greedy,stupid, fail to understand the basic charter of a union, and lack moral direction.

If you are at or near the bottom General Lee, I suggest you stop wasting time reading this and move on with your career. If you are near the bottom of your category or base, I suggest you run a new budget that includes commuting to a smaller seat that pays less. Might want to read up on the new reserve system as well.

The best you can hope for at this point is that you don't end up swinging gear at your next company for the Delta F/O's that have so much to thank DALPA for.

Latest resources

Back