• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Grinstein says Delta will be ok!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
And This Year's Tony Award For "top BuLLsh#t Artist" Goes Toooo...........

FLB717 said:
Fins,

You sold you AAI stock, not smart.

You think when DAL gets rid of most all its small narrow body (737-200,MD's) and uses 70 and 50 seat RJs that even before cuts cost twice the CSM to operate as our 717 (737 is slightly better than 717) that DAL will beat us? Maybe but not for a few years. And in that time we will have become far less dependant on ATL. As of now it is only half of our revenue.

That is incorrect. I talked to a management pilot today in the ATL lounge and he said that we are trying to keep the MD88s and they out-right own the 737-200s, so if some lessors want to keep some of the MD88s, we would keep the 737-200s a little longer until we replace them. He said that the MAINLINE pilots will be OFFERED new 100 seaters coming from GE leasing--and he thought they would be E190s. He said to expect Jetblue style E190 rates. I think ALPA will go for it, or we will be a lot smaller airline---and less dues for DALPA. As far as more 70 seaters, DCI will get some, but they will be used to replace the 50 seaters. He mentioned some ideas for pay cuts, but did not knopw the specific requests since he was not a negotiator. Expect eventual 100 seaters like E190s in Mainline configuration flying against AT 717s, and then there will be a merger with NW or as he speculated---NW/CAL/DL.

Bye Bye--General Lee

FoxHunter said:

The PBGC is not on top of the list for creditors I don't think, and probably won't get paid anyway if the judge allows it. They can ask, but probably will not get it and probably will have an extra $8.4 billion bill on it's hands unless Congress does something really quick. A 14 year extension doesn't help much when you owe $10.6 billion. Time to dump it, IMO. Hey, we have insurance.....(the PBGC)

Bye Bye--General Lee

General Lee said:
That is incorrect. I talked to a management pilot today in the ATL lounge and he said that we are trying to keep the MD88s and they out-right own the 737-200s, so if some lessors want to keep some of the MD88s, we would keep the 737-200s a little longer until we replace them. He said that the MAINLINE pilots will be OFFERED new 100 seaters coming from GE leasing--and he thought they would be E190s. He said to expect Jetblue style E190 rates. I think ALPA will go for it, or we will be a lot smaller airline---and less dues for DALPA. As far as more 70 seaters, DCI will get some, but they will be used to replace the 50 seaters. He mentioned some ideas for pay cuts, but did not knopw the specific requests since he was not a negotiator. Expect eventual 100 seaters like E190s in Mainline configuration flying against AT 717s, and then there will be a merger with NW or as he speculated---NW/CAL/DL.

Bye Bye--General Lee

This spells real trouble for AirTran if DAL ALPA allows 190's in their back yard at JB payscales.

As far as the merger with CAL, I wouldn't hold my breath on that one. If so, I would love to talk to some of some of your more arrogant fellas and ask them if they still believe we should be stapled to the bottom of your list as was the plan in 97.

Like I always told that idiot FlyDeltasJets....."Never throw stones in glass houses".

Boeingman said:
This spells real trouble for AirTran if DAL ALPA allows 190's in their back yard at JB payscales.

As far as the merger with CAL, I wouldn't hold my breath on that one. If so, I would love to talk to some of some of your more arrogant fellas and ask them if they still believe we should be stapled to the bottom of your list as was the plan in 97.

Like I always told that idiot FlyDeltasJets....."Never throw stones in glass houses".

They weren't ALPA back then, and had more scabs. Some are still there now. Since they are both ALPA now, it makes things easier. Why do you think ALPA took CAL back so fast? The possibility of future mergers. And, CAL may decide to go into Chap 11 too if DL and NW get too many competitive advantages. Sad but true. It is likely we may dump $8.4 billion in pension obligations on the PBGC-----I bet CAL would love to do the same. (not as much probably) Business is business.

Bye Bye--General Lee

General Lee said:
They weren't ALPA back then, and had more scabs. Some are still there now. Since they are both ALPA now, it makes things easier. Why do you think ALPA took CAL back so fast? The possibility of future mergers. And, CAL may decide to go into Chap 11 too if DL and NW get too many competitive advantages. Sad but true. It is likely we may dump $8.4 billion in pension obligations on the PBGC-----I bet CAL would love to do the same. (not as much probably) Business is business.

Bye Bye--General Lee

I see. So because of the scabs it was alright to punish the entire CAL pilot list?
Or, because we weren't ALPA the whole list should be punished? Sorry General, but that argument doesn't fly at all with me.

It is that kind of arrogance that makes my blood pressure rise about ALPA and those who blindly follow their mantra. I used to love watching the looks of some of the Delta Double Breasted A--h---s spotting myself in a CAL uniform sans ALPA pin. The assumptions and comments were truly interesting.

ALPA took CAL back for one reason and one reason only. Dues. It is all about money. Nothing more. Nothing less.

You are right about one thing General. Business is business. Should a merger ever occur (and I seriously doubt it) I can assure you the CAL pilots with push the career expectation issue very hard under ALPA merger policy.

Like I always told my Delta buddies they should keep their mouth shut because someday, god forbid, what we went through may happen over there.

That day has arrived.

Last edited:
Boeingman said:
I see. So because of the scabs it was alright to punish the entire CAL pilot list?
Or, because we weren't ALPA the whole list should be punished? Sorry General, but that argument doesn't fly at all with me.

It is that kind of arrogance that makes my blood pressure rise about ALPA and those who blindly follow their mantra. I used to love watching the looks of some of the Delta Double Breasted A--h---s spotting myself in a CAL uniform sans ALPA pin. The assumptions and comments were truly interesting.

ALPA took CAL back for one reason and one reason only. Dues. It is all about money. Nothing more. Nothing less.

You are right about one thing General. Business is business. Should a merger ever occur (and I seriously doubt it) I can assure you the CAL pilots with push the career expectation issue very hard under ALPA merger policy.

Like I always told my Delta buddies they should keep their mouth shut because someday, god forbid, what we went through may happen over there.

That day has arrived.

And your point is? Do you think you won't be there again? I am not trying to be cocky, but think that there will be some consolidation eventually. DL and NW will cut pensions and debt obligations and make it really tempting for your management to do the same. As far as career expectations goes, well, you are retiring 2600 pilots over the next three years--I have been here 9 years---I should be senior to everyone who has recently been hired this year. I can't wait to do Delhi or Beijing from EWR on the 777. You need to take a chill pill there chief, and understand that your company could be next. Yeah, you had a small profit last quarter, but gas is higher now and you still have to pay those pensions. You may be back for round 3. You never know. Career expectations? What are those? You sound a bit cocky there--you would have made a great Delta pilot.....

Bye Bye--General Lee

Latest resources

Back