Great Story

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

capt_zman

Talk about a great story, this happened to me last week.

I had flown down to Dallas Love to hand deliver my application package and to get a frontline view of the Southwest environment. I arrived around 12:00 and decided to go to lunch and be back around 1:30 or so. I got back from lunch and walked into the lobby and tried to call the recruiter that I have been working with. She wasn't available and I was directed to the People Dept in the main lobby. I went into the Dept and gave one of the attendants my app package, spoke with her a little bit and decided to call it a day.

As I walked out of the building and into the parking lot, I had 4 hours to kill before my flight, so I decided to sit in the car and watch the planes come and go (for those who have never been to Southwest headquarters, the building and parking lot are right on the runway).

While sitting in the car, I noticed a gentleman pull up next to me with a flat right rear tire. He was having some trouble getting the spare out from underneath the truck, so I got out and helped him with the tire (it had also started to rain). Remember, I had no idea who this person was. While changing the tire, he asked me how my day was going and I explained how I had flown from Massachusetts to hand deliver the app and to experience the Southwest culture. He asked, "Are you a pilot", and I said "Yes". He then said, "Let me introduce myself, my name is Ken Gile, head of Flight Operations for Southwest". I almost dropped on the spot, absolutely couldn't believe it. I desperately tried to keep my composure, but I think my excitement was obvious as my voice seemed to go through the first stages of puberty.

We finished changing the tire and talking about Southwest, and I gave him my business card and off we went. As I backed over the curb trying to leave the parking lot, I sat in amazement over how such a chain of events could be possible. Think about it, a hick from Massachusetts who flies to Dallas, goes to lunch, sits in his car for 30 minutes in a parking lot of probably 1000 cars, and randomly helps a guy with his tire in the rain who turns out to be the person who ultimately signs the "Success" letter.

Everyone asked me if I had bought a lottery ticket that day, and I said "No, this was better than winning the lottery."

Zman

Capt_Zman

You should edit your title to read "Great SWA Story". Some people have lucky experiences that will always be a memory and a great story. You sound like that type of person. You also sound like just the right type person for SWA. The type that does a selfless act of kindness with no thought of reward just to make things better for someone else. Good luck to you in your quest to work for SWA.:)

Hehe I'd say there's a fair chance your application packet has a little note paper clipped to it now ;)

It also wouldn't surprise me to see various pilots "loitering" in the Southwest HQ parking lot from now on looking for someone to assist :D

Timebuilder graduated to the level of a professional pilot and he should act accordingly, not like he's just seen a chocolate river in the Wonka factory.

And just a little advice about those aspiring pilots living vicariously through Timebuilder, they may seem happy for you, but they're not, they'd slash your throat in a second if they could get into that right seat. I know, I see it everyday.

Remember that quote. It will be important in a second...

"Let me introduce myself, my name is Ken Gile, head of Flight Operations for Southwest". I almost dropped on the spot, absolutely couldn't believe it. I desperately tried to keep my composure, but I think my excitement was obvious as my voice seemed to go through the first stages of puberty.

Capt. Z, try as I might, I just can't see the difference between Timebuilder's enthusiasm and yours. Please explain why you are entitled to gloat but he is not...

For the record, I'm happy for both of you. That is indeed a great story.

Hardly a gloat, just a good story to let every hopeful know that the trip to Dallas can be worth the expense.

Nice work!!

I am on my way tonight to Love to litter the parking lot with nails, then I think I'll "drop by" at about 9am Monday morning!!

Awesome story, goes to show you that the personal visit is worthwhile.

Also goes to show you that the good guys do win every now and then!

Stirring the pot

I usually don't like to pick on grammar and spelling on these posts, since many are typed in haste, but this time I have to.

Zman - "hick" and Massachusetts can not be used in the same sentence. (unless you are from west I-91) In fact, you can't use the term hick when referring to anybody from the Northeast. Sorry, it’s a rule. It’s a little known fact, but it’s written in the Mason-Dixon land survey of 1767.

Latest resources

Back