• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Great Lakes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Great Lakes pays more than your current non-flying job? How is that even possible?

Great Lakes:
1st year f/o hourly rate: $16
Monthly guarantee: 75 hours
Monthly pay: $1,200

Minimum wage:
$7.25/hr
160 hours/mo
Monthly pay: $1,160

Now I see, you must be making minimum wage. If that's the case, you're right... You're going to be making $40 more per month as a Great Lakes pilot than a minimum wage worker. Nice.

You're talking about first year, everyone knows it's almost equal to flying for minimum wage, probably below.... The problem is that by second year you should be upgrading and making more than some regional places and by third of fourth year you should be gone. So in the long run, you end up making more money going to GL.

Guys what is the big deal? This is how it has been done for ages. Yes commuter pay sucks big time. It is a stepping stone. For those that start early it is easier because you are not making much money anyway. For those that are older and have careers in other fields it is much harder. I was at Lakes for several years. Yeah the pay sucked but I had a blast and got some great experience. When I started I had a $300 car, recently finished college and had no mortgage or large loans. Starting pay was $10/hour. Things were tight but I got by.

Exactly although I do have a large loan it's managable provided I'm not a idiot with spending money. My biggest concern with going to Lakes is washing out of training and screwing myself over with that on my record.

Exactly although I do have a large loan it's managable provided I'm not a idiot with spending money. My biggest concern with going to Lakes is washing out of training and screwing myself over with that on my record.

The training at Lakes is tough I will give you that. When I was there all limitations and memory items had to able to be recalled. If you missed a limitation or memory item on an oral you were done. We all studied hard and made the best effort. My very first training flight was in the airplane. No simulators back then. On my first takeoff I was given a V1 cut followed by a single engine ILS to a landing. So on my first flight in the 1900 I only had one engine with the exception of the takeoff run. That was just the way things were done back in the day. Now they have a 1900D sim so things are a little easier. I have a friend that is an instructor at Lakes and he said one of the biggest problems they see is guys that flew glass (Cyrus etc..). They have a heck of a time with situational awareness without the moving map.

It's sucks how bad it's gotten, but it's more unbelievable that reality hasn't set in enough to deter enough perspective pilots to shut down the zero to hero training schools in mass quantities including university programs. A $100,000 loan at 5% interest rate spread over 10 years = $1000 a month!? When people are clinging on per diem to live, something is seriously wrong.

The training at Lakes is tough I will give you that. When I was there all limitations and memory items had to able to be recalled. If you missed a limitation or memory item on an oral you were done. We all studied hard and made the best effort. My very first training flight was in the airplane. No simulators back then. On my first takeoff I was given a V1 cut followed by a single engine ILS to a landing. So on my first flight in the 1900 I only had one engine with the exception of the takeoff run. That was just the way things were done back in the day. Now they have a 1900D sim so things are a little easier. I have a friend that is an instructor at Lakes and he said one of the biggest problems they see is guys that flew glass (Cyrus etc..). They have a heck of a time with situational awareness without the moving map.

No glass here for me. For the time being I'm going to rent a twin an hour or two a month to get back up to snuff on ME work.

It's sucks how bad it's gotten, but it's more unbelievable that reality hasn't set in enough to deter enough perspective pilots to shut down the zero to hero training schools in mass quantities including university programs. A $100,000 loan at 5% interest rate spread over 10 years = $1000 a month!? When people are clinging on per diem to live, something is seriously wrong.

My loan isn't 100K, rather 63K to be exact that's ratings plus degree. Nobody pays loans back in 10 years unless they can afford to. I'm looking at around $450-550 a month much more reasonable. Obviously as I make more money I'll pay more to get rid of it asap.

Guys what is the big deal? This is how it has been done for ages. Yes commuter pay sucks big time. It is a stepping stone. For those that start early it is easier because you are not making much money anyway. For those that are older and have careers in other fields it is much harder. I was at Lakes for several years. Yeah the pay sucked but I had a blast and got some great experience. When I started I had a $300 car, recently finished college and had no mortgage or large loans. Starting pay was $10/hour. Things were tight but I got by.

Here's the thing...

Most of the of majors are going to be hiring for a long time... Delta might, but I've heard that is mostly going to consist of bringing back furloughs. I think anybody thinking about going to a regional today needs to realize they may be stuck there for a VERY long time as an F/O. Maybe they will even need to make a career of their particular regional.

Here's the thing...

Most of the of majors are going to be hiring for a long time... Delta might, but I've heard that is mostly going to consist of bringing back furloughs. I think anybody thinking about going to a regional today needs to realize they may be stuck there for a VERY long time as an F/O. Maybe they will even need to make a career of their particular regional.

Def a possibility so I ask you this... Would you rather work at a dead end computer job selling avionics day in day out in a somewhat hostile enviroment making between 17K and if your lucky and I mean real lucky 25-30K tops? Or make around the same flying at Lakes and possibly move on to bigger and better things? That's an honest question.

Latest resources

Back