• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Great Lakes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well said. I have always thought that the day I left Lakes was the day I began my gradual decline in pure pilot skills. To borrow a line from the Chairman, if you can make it there, you can make it anywhere.

That being said, if Q asks you to go boating, beware.

That is so true! I have been gone from Lakes for some time now and I can honestly say I am no longer the pilot I once was. Technology makes you lazy! But again, once a Laker, always a Laker!

What's the chance of going there after training? I hear it's a TDY operation. Do you have to report to DEN/STL first and then go to MKE, or do you report directly to MKE? Just curious...

Chance of getting MKE: zero.

It is TDY out of STL and there is a list of people waiting to bid there already.

If you are applying for a job flying a B-1900 doing EAS you should probably assume the flying might be a bit challenging as compared to flying into larger airports with ILS's and good airport services. Lakes does not have the ability to put guys and gals online that lack BAI skills and hence it is built into their training syllabus. Not everyone that goes there has profficient BAI skills and eventually they encounter trouble. However, I have never seen a 70% washout rate and I would suspect it is more of a rumour.

I didn't know the Wright Bros. Flyer had instruments...

Suprisingly it was the most reliable instruments in that old lance I flew.

I couldn't do that now. I just load it up in the Pro Line and watch it happen! As a matter of fact, I can't even remember the last time I shot a NDB approach...

No weak pilots allowed!

I had a hell of a lot more fun at Great Lakes than I did flying for that Northern Craptucky Airline known as Comair.

I agree! I spent enough time at GLA to upgrade and get my turbine pic...it was a billion time better and funner. It's no place for weak pilots who can't hand fly in the mountains, in thunderstorms, high winds, windshear, snow storms, blizzards, icing conditions (where you blow the boots...no ice detection system), no flight director, no moving map, full procedure turns, into an uncontrolled airports at night and your FO has 240 hours TT and just finished IOE two nights ago. If your instrument scan is weak and you don't know how to enter a hold...you will wash out...that is just the facts. Lakers for life. Once a Laker always a Laker.

As a non-laker, nor a regional pilot, I have a ton of respect for Lakers. Probably the purest form of regional flying there is.

If you're a good pilot then go there, if not then go home.

earl

If you're a good pilot then go there, if not then go home.

l

What?? This NDB partial panel, mountain flying, single engine approaches in icing macho attitude is getting a little old. It's not a matter of being a good pilot, it's a matter of wanting to do that type of flying. Lots of guys could do it they just prefer moving maps and GPS's and a decent quality of life. That doesn't make them bad pilots. Anybody can become a great lakes pilot apparently since not long ago they hired wet commercials.:rolleyes:

The little i know

If you fail out in training no one knows you are not an employee until after the check ride . I heard in May 4 out of 5 bombed out then last i heard this fall 14 out of 15 made it .You practice on Pcatd's in indoc to see where your weakness is prior to getting near the sim . If you cannot fly an NDB approach with an RMI and are an instructor there is a problem . Would I leave a regional I was furloughed from and sign a 15 month $7500 promissary note ?? That is a decision you have to make . Good luck with your decision .

Latest resources

Back