Great Lakes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

mastermike28

I received an email from Great Lakes saying call to set up an interview. Just a little background on myself. I have 1600TT 250 multi and about 50 turbine sic. I flew for Comair and was furloughed after finishing IOE. I'm about four numbers from the bottom of Comair's senority list, so I'm not too hopeful for a call back any time soon. I am back to flight instructing now, however in this economy there aren't any students to instruct. I have read all the past threads on Great Lakes on this site and other websites. One thing that concerns me about Lakes is the high washout rate. I have read in past threads that in some classes it is up to a 70% washout rate. I have also read that training is not that bad and most people have been making it through training. Can any Lakers chime in on the training, and how recent classes have been doing? I am confident in my flying abilities, but when you hear of such a high number of washouts it becomes something to think about. Another question I was hoping some Lakers could comment on was Frontier being in bankrupcy. In my research I could not find how much flying Lakes does for Frontier. How much of and impact would it be on Lakes if this flying is taken away? It seems to me that Lakes is somewhat of a gamble. For some people that went there and washout of training that could affect them the rest of their career. However, I have read many Ex-Lakers say it was the best career move they made because of the fast TPIC. Any comments on Lakes training and the best crystal ball guess on the future of Lakes would be appreciated, especially from current and former Lakers. Thanks!

I hear that you have to do full NDB approaches with just an RMI. That would suck without a moving map to see your position. No wonder their training is so hard and washout rate so high.

Wow, NDB approaches with an RMI? Scary stuff...

Yeah,if you can't handle "very challenging" things like that, probably notthe place for you. Don't you have to do those on an instrument checkride though? Sad.

Wow, NDB approaches with an RMI? Scary stuff...

Yeah,if you can't handle "very challenging" things like that, probably notthe place for you. Don't you have to do those on an instrument checkride though? Sad.

Not if your plane doesn't have an ADF. I didn't have to do one on my IFR checkride. We trained on GPS and all approaches were strait ins. They are easy. I'd hate to have to fly an actual NDB with just an RMI down to mins in actual and then have to circle to a runway with minimal lighting, especially at night. Give me my FMC, GPS and moving map. NDB approaches are obsolete and dangerous.

I couldnt imagine being an instrument pilot without the ADF.

Seriously...I've shot a couple apps in IMC...its not that hard when you really think about it.

I couldnt imagine being an instrument pilot without the ADF.

Seriously...I've shot a couple apps in IMC...its not that hard when you really think about it.

See, I don't want to have to "think about it" I just want to load the approach in the FMS and have it do the thinking for me.

Bring a thick jacket....

Monday, January 12, 2009 (on Jetphotos.net)

Great Lakes adds service to four Montana cities

Beginning Feb. 1, commercial service will return to the Montana cities of Glasgow,Glendive, Havre and Wolf Point.

Great Lakes Aviation of Cheyenne, Wyo., announced Wednesday it will resume daily between the four cities and Billings. Those cities and three others in eastern Montana were served for three decades by Big Sky Airlines, but financial problems forced the airline out of business last March. Great Lakes assumed Big Sky’s federal Essential contract to serve Montana. Essential Air Service is a program offering airlines federal subsidies to serve routes to small cities that otherwise would be unprofitable.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back