• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Great Lakes Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I was only able to talk to one other person for a few moments so I really don't know how many had their resumes walked in. But I was told that if you know someone you can get the interview well under the posted minimums. If not then you probably won't get a call unless you have those minimums or a bit more. You should just give it a shot since it looks like you already meet their mins and a bit more.

Yes, I am above their minimums but I haven't gotten a phone call and my resume has been in for quite some time now. Do you know how many people they plan on hiring, and if they are planning any furloughs?

It appears we may forego the annual spring furlough and keep hiring. Don't plan on a July class, they don't bother to secure any hotels in CYS during Frontier Days.

gt1900 said:
Crossky....you are sorely mistaken if you don't think you can go from lakes directly to an LCC or major (not trying to bash). I know of 3 people who interviewed at Airtran this year, 2 (at least) at Southwest, 2 people waiting in the pool at Alaska, one who interviewed at Fedex, and several who interviewed at AmWest..Hell, one guy even got a call from Amwest and southwest in the same day!! In the last year over 10% of the pilot group has either gone to majors or LCC's, or at least interviewed at them. PIC turbine is the name of the game. And you get it fast at Lakes. I know of many ex-lakers who went to bigger and better things (ie: other regionals) and are either on the street (many guys from aca) or real nervous right now (ie: the air whiskey guys). While the guys who toughed it out are sitting in the right seat of 737's or 717's after spending about 4 1/2yrs at lakes!!

gt 1900, I don't need a lecture, as Guitar Guy said I was at Lakes (if you had read my post you could have inferred that) and I was on the street after Vanguard died in summer 2002 after being there 4 months. Been at AWAC 2.5 yrs witnessing our gradual slide. Yes I know Ex-Lakers at LCC's and majors who were my FO's and my initial classmates thank you. I'm dealing with it so please read my post better next time. Plenty of Lakers leave to go places other than LCC's or majors, and I never wrote that they can't make it to LCC's or majors straight from Lakes. I wrote 'don't count on it'.

Crossky...I did read your post, I just disagree. The guys who stay and build 2-3 thousand hrs of PIC time can count on it. As a matter of fact, if you become a check airmen and get both types, I would say that you pretty much have it made. And from what I have seen, that is for the case for the most part!! Not to start a pissing match but you have been gone for 3 years, so you are probably not the best person in the world to be making assumptions! I know that most of the guys on the EMB-120 (when I left) had interviewed at majors or LCC's. Its just most people at lakes bail before they become competitive. 1000 hrs PIC is not the magic number anymore. At 2000 hrs you can start to become competitive (3000hrs and you are sitting pretty). Add 2 types and a check-airmen letter and you are golden. And from what I saw when I was there, that was the case, and will continue to be so!! No hard feelings!

northernflyer said:
Do you know if there was anyone there who didn't have thier resume walked in?

I did not have my resume walked in and was hired a couple months ago. One other person in my class--out of 13--didn't have it walked in, so it definitely helps. There's a new hire class going on right now and likely another in June. Definitely No for July, and maybe one in Aug. Very short on CAs, but quite a few FOs. As far as training being too hard, FAA shut it down, etc...Bulls!t. Put your nose in the books for 3 weeks and it's easy. Where else can you get on the line in 1 month!

gt1900 said:
Its just most people at lakes bail before they become competitive. 1000 hrs PIC is not the magic number anymore. At 2000 hrs you can start to become competitive (3000hrs and you are sitting pretty). Add 2 types and a check-airmen letter and you are golden. And from what I saw when I was there, that was the case, and will continue to be so!! No hard feelings!

No hard feelings, but you didn't qualify your statement that 'you have to have 2-3k T PIC and/or check airman status before you can 'count on it' ' before now did ya? I took my chances and rolled the dice like many others and got bit like many others who thought they would stay employed at their major or LCC.

Peace

Latest resources

Back