• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Great Lakes Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Now I'm gonna have to totally disagree with what tatoo said...Sorta. Lakes sucks, everyone knows that, but if you can make it, and keep your eye on the greater goal, it is a great place to work (just don't get caught up in all the b.s.). You can upgrade fast, get two type rating in a relativly short amount of time, and get to the carrier you really wan't to fly for in a short period of time. It allowed me to be the youngest guy in class at my major airline (by almost 2 years) and I will retire close to #1 at the company (I know for sure at least 1 ex laker who will always be senior to me). So, if you are looking for short term, don't go to lakes, you will be much happier at another commuter. But if you want a fast way to get to the majors, Lakes is very very hard to beat!! Its just a matter of deciding what you want. For me, giving up a couple years and working at a crappy place was well worth gaining several years of seniority at a major!!!!

Thanks for the info. The multi time i have been getting has gotten really slow at the place I instuct so it is currently hard to get multi time. I am also young with few bills and willing to move so lakes isn't looking so bad for me. I am just trying to find out what works good to get the interview and the job without a recommendation.

If you can handle the pay and the scheduling, it's a definite way to a longer-term goal. Make no mistake, you will pay your dues but if you can keep focused on where you want to be versus where you are, it will pay off.

It always cracks me up to see that people are still so concerned to get that coveted 1000 PIC. It sure did me a lot of good! I'm STILL waiting for my call from American! :) Anyways, I spent three and half years in that sweatshop and looking back it will always have been the best and worst flying job I ever had. The best because it was, and still is from what I hear, a great pilot group. Something about being abused that causes everyone to stick together. I actually have had more fun on overnights at GLA than where I am at now. But Lakes also sucked because of the numerous junior man's, CRAP pay, unproductive schedules, etc, etc... I could go on and on. Listen, bottom line, do what will make you happy, but don't cheapen yourself to fly for 15 bucks an hour if you can avoid it. I actually made the same money on first year FO pay where I am employed now as I did on the 3-4 year CA scale at Lakes. Pretty sad, huh? And chances are you will be at Lakes for longer than you expect unless the industry makes an amazing turnaround, so don't plan on getting that quick upgrade and moving on to a major. The odds of that are pretty slim right now. I would recommend going somewhere where you will be happy, make some decent money, and sit back and watch the industry turn around...hopefully. Whatever you decide, I wish you luck. If you go for Lakes and get hired, have fun and enjoy those layovers! You will unfortunately, however, never get the pleasure of overnighting in Muskegon, MI in the summer...wow, there must have been something in the water over there!

You dont have to have a letter of rec to get a call. When i was in training with XJET I recieved a call from them. Of course i didnt take it and am very happy with my decision. Moral of the story send your resume in and you will probably get a a call even with out the Rec letter.

Good luck

The letter of rec is likely more beneficial to someone with lower time and limited experience. But a letter of rec never hurts, regardless of your time/experience.

Whiskerbizkit said:
why dont you set you sites a little higher than Lakes....maybe GulfStream!!! LOL

Gulfstream is higher up the food chain that Lakes? Why, cause they have an infamous PFT program that puts dreamy eyed jet jockey wannabe's in $25K debt, while Lakes only has you sacrificing pay till you start IOE? Sure Lakes has a 15 month $10K training bond you're liable for if you leave before them.

If you're low on quality time (like Multi, I had 40 when lakes hired me, I knew no one, although it was early 2000) and are ready to kick a & take names, why not give them a shot? Used to hear the hot ticket when times were slow was to fly to SPW (now Cheyenne CYS) and apply in person. Only reservation I would have now about Lakes is don't count on jumping from there to a major or LCC, a few win the lottery that way though. Most go to a regional from the left and right seat.

Teamsters, you suck! WHY are Lakes pilots still starting out at $15.30/hr? Even Mesa pays $3-4 more!

there is alot of truth to what gt1900 has said, it just my thinking that with all the regionals hiring now you may get upgrade time fairly fast at a place that will treat you better..make no mistake people have upgraded here in under a year. But a buddy of mine also upgraded at skywest just after two years..its completely what you want and nothing more...and like I said the pilot group is awesome and you would have a lot of fun on some overnights...

Crossky....you are sorely mistaken if you don't think you can go from lakes directly to an LCC or major (not trying to bash). I know of 3 people who interviewed at Airtran this year, 2 (at least) at Southwest, 2 people waiting in the pool at Alaska, one who interviewed at Fedex, and several who interviewed at AmWest..Hell, one guy even got a call from Amwest and southwest in the same day!! In the last year over 10% of the pilot group has either gone to majors or LCC's, or at least interviewed at them. PIC turbine is the name of the game. And you get it fast at Lakes. I know of many ex-lakers who went to bigger and better things (ie: other regionals) and are either on the street (many guys from aca) or real nervous right now (ie: the air whiskey guys). While the guys who toughed it out are sitting in the right seat of 737's or 717's after spending about 4 1/2yrs at lakes!!

Latest resources

Back