• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Great Lakes Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well first of all I wont defend lakes in anyway, however flying4food should get his/her facts straight straight...I heard this I heard that...you dont know unless you work here dumb a$$...
Other than insulting me and calling me names, can you dispute those two facts that I posted?? Is Upgrade ground school only 3 1/2 days long?? Was their training dept not shut down by the DEN FSDO??

flying4food said:
Other than insulting me and calling me names, can you dispute those two facts that I posted?? Is Upgrade ground school only 3 1/2 days long?? Was their training dept not shut down by the DEN FSDO??

I'd be curious to know more about the training dept. getting shut down by the DEN FSDO. During my 4 years there, I don't remember that occuring. As for the Upgrade ground school, be it 3.5 days or whatever, it meets FAA requirements, they just make the days fairly long. As I recall, we were required to have 32 or 34 hours of ground for Upgrade.

See http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgFAR.nsf/0/2B9C99889C00A984852566EF006CDE22?OpenDocument&Highlight=upgrade%20ground and http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgFAR.nsf/0/8921D00E02D2AF9F852566EF006C8192?OpenDocument as starting points for training program requirements.

I will say that I was told by a former CP there that you better know "everything" before starting Upgrade ground school because you weren't going to learn anything in class. :cool:

gt1900 said:
Crossky....you are sorely mistaken if you don't think you can go from lakes directly to an LCC or major (not trying to bash)...

Crossky is a former Laker and went from GLA to a non-RJ jet. I believe he was just trying to temper any misconception that "everyone" goes straight from GLA to an LCC or large freight hauler. And you must admit that a good amount of the folks who've gone from GLA to the LCC's or other good jobs either had a legacy with the outfit or were well hooked-up.

Best wishes for your future in this crazy business. Let's hope the economy continues to build up steam and move ahead. Lakes was an interesting to work.

flying4food said:
Was their training dept not shut down by the DEN FSDO??

There was a brief (3 days or so) hiatus on checkrides this January while the training department and the FSDO clarified some kind of misunderstanding. I believe it was having to do with how much time was required in the airplane vs. the Level C simulator. Whatever their hangup was, the issue was resolved quickly.

What are Great Lakes' recency of experience requirements?

Also, how much will having your ATP written help you?

northernflyer said:
Does anyone know when they plan on calling the next round of people to interview?

I just interviewed today. I believe they called in a total of 20 people. I also heard that they're interviewing two groups next Tuesday as well. From what I was told during the interview, they're looking for a June 6th class date. When I asked about a later class date they said possibly August but they really don't know. Best bet is to just send your resume in or find someone to walk your resume in.

Last edited:
flyf15 said:
What are Great Lakes' recency of experience requirements?

Also, how much will having your ATP written help you?

Looks like they want instrument currency and multi currency. They do ask how many hours in the previous 90 days and such. Not sure about the ATP written but I assume it would.

hey guys,

I have a friend who has around 2000tt and over 1000 multi, but has not flown over a year in a half, will that effect his chance to get on with lakes. He wants the 121 pic time, so i guess that is why he wants to go there.

Doubleo6point9 said:
I just interviewed today. I believe they called in a total of 20 people. I also heard that they're interviewing two groups next Tuesday as well. From what I was told during the interview, they're looking for a June 6th class date. When I asked about a later class date they said possibly August but they really don't know. Best bet is to just send your resume in or find someone to walk your resume in.

Do you know what the times of most the people there were, and if the majority had someone walk their resume in, and how long after you sent in your resume they called you?

northernflyer said:
Do you know what the times of most the people there were, and if the majority had someone walk their resume in, and how long after you sent in your resume they called you?

Not sure on the times of most of the people there or who had theirs walked in. I would guess that there weren't too many high time people there. I was called about a month after my resume was walked in. Although I can tell you that my friend who's currently at 1000 at 110 just started class with them.

Latest resources

Back