Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
psysicx said:
Does GL have a training contract?

Yes. Although the Teamsters contract says that no pilot employee shall pay for training, including initial training, Great Lakes has made signing the training contract a requirement for employment. They side-step the Teamsters contract by not making you technically an employee (and not paying you) until you complete training. This is a double bonus for Great Lakes and not-so-much-of-a-double-bonus for you.

This is the same company that has made no headway in pay negotiations for years. In fact, I view this as an overall pay DECREASE for the pilot group that was done with no negotiation or union input. You all can decide for yourselves.

It's a 15-month contract, that is not pro-rated. Example: If you stay 11 months, they will sue you for the full amount. I've seen it happen, even to people who had been furloughed by Lakes more than once. If you think there's any chance that you might leave for any reason during the 15 months (17-18 months if you include training), then think seriously about this. Even if you don't think there's a chance that you would leave "early" you should talk to someone else who thought the same way and DID leave before the 15 months were up. There are many of those around.

Choose your employer carefully. There are plenty of places that are hiring with similar minimums that do not require a training contract.

Last edited:
CAPTAINDEEZ said:
Does GLA hire street captains. I was kinda lookin at it. And what is captain pay over there. Any rumors of growth, fleet plans, or new bases? Seems like props are goin away for passenger travel, hell even 50 seat rj's but lakes is stickin with it i see.

When my new-hire class started in October 2000, some of my classmates were supposed to be street captains. However, Lakes changed their policy on street captains just before we started initial and started requiring 300 hours on line before going to upgrade. Unless that's changed, I would suspect that's still the case. Apparently the washout rate was pretty bad for street captains, particularly those with no prior 121 experience.

As for the props going away, I don't see DV giving up the 1900's until the Feds make him. DV has said many times that RJ's just don't make economic sense and like it or not, there seems to be evidence to support his position. As for fleet expansion, there are a number of 1900D's available (is FMN still the big 1900D parking lot that it was a few years ago?), so if DV can land some more EAS routes, you might see some more 1900D's. Don't know if he'd pick up more EMB-120's, but if the situation was right, he might.

Last edited:
CAPTAINDEEZ said:
Seems like props are goin away for passenger travel, hell even 50 seat rj's but lakes is stickin with it i see.

Props will be around for a while. Bombardier seems to have some interested buyers for the Q-400.

Hey I was wondering how many days off / month do you average at Great Lakes, and are there flight benefits on united or frontier airlines? Thanks

You will get at least 10 days off a month. Expect to get that on reserves, line holders do get a few more off. Free flying on Frontier, not sure about United.

About the training contract...It sucks HOWEVER it is completely legal. One lawyer has taken on around 10 ex lakers to fight it but has lost, havent heard about the appeal process. Several other laywers have looked at it and agree that they can collect training cost if you leave before the contract is up. It's real simple, do your research before you come here, if it's not for you dont put yourself through the all the problems

Latest resources

Back