• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Goodbye F-22 program. We hardly new ye.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
IMHO the AF could bolster its case significantly with some F-22's dropping some bombs on the Taliban or at least sitting in theater. A few real world stats on overdeployment could help the argument.

A UAV could do that!:D

No worries USAF folks, the Navy will assume the responsibility of air superiority!:D

adjusted

To compare apples to apples, the accurate comparison ought to be CVN only.

A nuke CSG with a current CVW is exponentially more capable than the old CBGs.
CVN's Aug 45-0, Sep 68-1, Feb 91- 6 BTW actually there were no CVN's in 1968 it was called a CVAN's

Last edited:
And we're still stretched thin and over tasked with 11. Can't wait to see how they think 9 will do the same job.

CSGs at 10

F-22s caped at 187

CSAR-X cancelled

C-17 no more production

31 F/A-18s in FY10

513 F-35s in FYDP, 2,443 total

DDG-1000 cancelled after current 2 ships

DDG-51 back in production

No news must be good news for the V-22

Gates wants to look at accerlating the tanker program

Also mentioned no new presidential helicopter, I think. Aren't they getting old?

Sec. Gates made some tough decisons.

The Navy did OK. We don't go down to 10 CVNs until 2040, with a new carrier every 5 years.

By 2040 all the boats will be the next generation Ford Class, so overall we'll be more capable than with the current 11.

This is what you get when you elect a bed-wetting wussie communist to the office of President....

-Congrats!

Also mentioned no new presidential helicopter, I think. Aren't they getting old?

If I were pres I'd tell them to pick me up in whatever they have available. no special helo needed. A uh1 or blackhawk would be fine by me.

Same for AF 1. Why pay for that type of stuff. I'd rather spend the money on more or better weapon systems for the guys getting the job done. A C-5 or C17 would be fine by me, eveyone pile in. Domestic travel = C-9.

Along the lines of the F22, ref. the F-35. Do we (and the UK) really need a VSTOL (F-35B) version? I think the program would be better off with an AF and Navy version.

I believe Gates made an announcement today. The presidential Helo is in deep trouble.

Unless the thing can fly into the ocean and submerge, $400 million per helicopter is way out of control. I believe the requirement was for 23 of these - to transport one guy and his staff?

Sometimes congress is at fault but this time it's the procurement system gone awry.

What is the FY09 cost of an F-22? About $125 - $140 million? What would you buy, one VH-71 or 2.2 F-22's?

If memory serves the DDG-1000 was also way over budget. Not to mention the fact that surface ships which operate independent of carrier battle groups may have seen their day pass.

Since 2006 US military spending has been greater than the rest of the world combined. That is not sustainable over time. Our deficits are also a threat to national security.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back