Goodbye F-22 program. We hardly new ye.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
thought is was 16 airplanes

Please, sir,... we're talking USAF aircraft: we call it "a 4-ship".
maybe that is a WWII term, but Sig600 is right the F-22 will never loose a battle and take on any number of airplanes successfully

maybe that is a WWII term, but Sig600 is right the F-22 will never loose a battle and take on any number of airplanes successfully

Did I say that? However for an old maritime guy you're a little out of your league on this one, plus to fully understand it requires this conversation to get into subject matter that can't be talked about here. If you think we have an edge (or are even equal) to some of the threats flying around today, you're sorely mistaken.

Last edited:
Please, sir,... we're talking USAF aircraft: we call it "a 4-ship".
:laugh:
LOL, I was going to say the same thing. But it's nice to have a Marine defending the AF and F-22. A first I think. Must be an exchange pilot.

I think what's lost in the debate over having a few superior aircraft vs. lots of inferior aircraft is the expense of people. This is especially important when thinking of the multiplier effect of support people that must accompany any ops or maintenance people. Each pilot and mechanic needs a fraction of a latrine and a chow hall, security and personellist.

The down side to the effective aircraft is the purchase cost. We may use it for 30-50 years, but we have to buy it in the first place. The the AF won't budge from the position that they need a squadron for each of the 10 AEF's. That's just too expensive for the DoD, president and congress to handle. The problem for the AF is that the number of people for an adequate number of inferior aircraft is too expensive too, but it's a different pot of money.

IMHO the AF could bolster its case significantly with some F-22's dropping some bombs on the Taliban or at least sitting in theater. A few real world stats on overdeployment could help the argument.

:laugh:
LOL, I was going to say the same thing. But it's nice to have a Marine defending the AF and F-22. A first I think. Must be an exchange pilot.

Marine or Navy. They both call a 4-ship a division.
A 2-ship is a section.

"Come on guys, it's so simple, it's all ball bearings these days!!!"

certainly

Did I say that? However for an old maritime guy you're a little out of your league on this one, plus to fully understand it requires this conversation to get into subject matter that can't be talked about here. If you think we have an edge (or are even equal) to some of the threats flying around today, you're sorely mistaken.
That is why I told you you were right, I was just recalling Robin Olds stories over beer's here at the Yankee Air Museum, and since we were drinking beer it sounded like a good idea. I do not profess to know anything about fighter tactics, pilots, their dogs or any other important stuff. I did tell my sister not to date one once, they run on real short cycles.

VP guys can go 17 hours unrefueled

Latest resources

Back