Good MD-10 Article

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Attkpuke said:
SKI...16000 hours flying time and you talk like this. Thats alot of time and/or experience around airplanes. You're either a liar or a guy who's busted a lot of check rides. I dont know anyone with more than 1500 hours that has such a simple minded view of this profession. You know what they say..."God protects fools and drunks!"

A lot....not alot.

Yes 16,000 hours+. Two engine failures. A list of other mechanical emergencies, and medical emergencies. I have never left a plane on the runway.

I just got my lastest issue of Airline Pilot magazine. The quote on the front cover from Capt. Robert Buck is appropriate....

"My heroes are the unknown, unheralded airline pilots who fly without incident or accident..."

I guess at FedEx they dont use that motto.

Now without an arguement, do you have a list of airlines that your company cannot travel you on? If so, who is on the list?

Purpled said:
Dude, I don't know what your problem with us is...but this article is mostly about design flaw and structural integrity issues. It specificly points to how minor deviations made by the pilot should not have resulted in such an outcome.

No problem. My original question sounded pointed only because I didn't know a better way to ask it. I want to know what differences there are between operators that fly the same aircraft. As I mentioned in my most recent post, I'm not trying to start a flame-war here. I'm honestly stumped as to how FDX could be flipping and/or burning DC-10's (or their VERY similar variants) while other operators aren't. Since I flew the DC-10 at NWA (which has operated that type longer than FDX) I have some frame-of-reference on the characteristics of the DC-10-30 and -40. I also know a large number of FDX pilots, and every one of them is a skilled professional.

I'm just trying to what the difference is. Is it higher strut and/or tire pressures? Is the type of brakes? Is the SOP for landings?

I have too much regard for my FDX buddies to think that it is "poor piloting". I'm looking for some other cause.

Purpled said:
Please expand on all of our DC-10 accidents, I'm tired and can't remember any of the details.

C'mon. We both know the history of flipped/burned DC-10's (and their variants) at FDX. At NWA there have been zero...dated back to well-before FDX took delivery of their first one. At FDX there have been more than zero.

If you believe it's merely a statistical aberration...say so. If you want to mud-wrassle on this Forum...say so.

Purpled said:
I'm sorry if we didn't hire you, one of us boned your wife, or we lost your package.

Never applied. Fred Smith tried at a party in '88, but she's got a loud-mouthed Marine at home already. Nope...all on time and in good shape!

Purpled said:
If it makes you happy-- "Northwest has the best pilots and I could only wish to stand in their shadow some day"...better?

Your self-esteem called. He wants to know if he can come home now. He promises to help you with your "wood" issues...

[And yes...I feel better. Thanks!]

Purpled said:
Oh yeah, since you're Occam's Razor, then what would Occam's Razor say about multiple gear collapses in an airframe? Most obvious answer? That's right, there is a gear problem.

Wrong-o! The "most obvious" answer to the riddle of why only one US carrier flips and/or burns DC-10's and the others don't is they operate their aircraft differently. The gear is the same on our aircraft. And since some of your DC-10's were UAL aircraft, we can assume the gear is the same as well...unless you guys changed them after delivery.

skiandsurf said:
I just got my lastest issue of Airline Pilot magazine. The quote on the front cover from Capt. Robert Buck is appropriate....

"My heroes are the unknown, unheralded airline pilots who fly without incident or accident..."

I guess at FedEx they dont use that motto.

Of course at FedEx they don't try to crash airplanes. Sh!t happens. I don't know of many airlines that haven't had a few incidents in their history. You try to learn from the mistakes of others and make improvements so that it doesn't happen again.

There's no reason to say one particular airline is more dangerous that any other.

Last edited:
Since I flew the DC-10 at NWA (which has operated that type longer than FDX) I have some frame-of-reference on the characteristics of the DC-10-30 and -40.

Occam, not to get into a mud slinging contest, I know NWA has had DC-10 for much longer than FDX, but how many? As of Jan 06, FDX had 47 MD-10's, and 48 MD-11's, as of 3/31/06, NWA had 14 DC-10's, I know that the MD-10's get at least 4 landings a day, 11's would get less due to longer legs, I guess, how many landings do the NWA DC-10's get daily? After flying MD-10's for a month, then having my recurrent this weekend in a 11 sim, they do fly differently, but no so different that a professional couldn't handle it. As for us flipping DC-10's, I don't feel like looking it up, but I think we've only flipped 11's, no 10's, either DC or MD. I'm not too proud of our safety record, but is there a recurrent theme? Being biased, the only one I can think of is old airplanes...any one know what was in the enders report???

skiandsurf said:
Now without an arguement, do you have a list of airlines that your company cannot travel you on? If so, who is on the list?

Still no answer. I will take that as a "yes". Now, who is on the no fly list and why?

Occam's Razor said:
I want to know what differences there are between operators that fly the same aircraft. As I mentioned in my most recent post, I'm not trying to start a flame-war here. I'm honestly stumped as to how FDX could be flipping and/or burning DC-10's (or their VERY similar variants) while other operators aren't. Since I flew the DC-10 at NWA (which has operated that type longer than FDX) I have some frame-of-reference on the characteristics of the DC-10-30 and -40. I also know a large number of FDX pilots, and every one of them is a skilled professional.
I don't know. Midwest Express has never crashed (or even had an incident) with any of their B-717's, but yet NWA has had 21 incidents in their DC-9 fleet (3 of them fatal). I'm stumped as to how NWA could be banging up B-717's (or their VERY similar variants) while other operators aren't... I also know a large number of NWA pilots, and every one of them is a skilled professional. Yada, yada, yada.

For Purpled and whomever... You are correct.

The Louisville thing was not an accident nor an incident. Neither the FAA nor the NTSB was involved. And yes, the crew is back flying the line.

Perhaps the gear failures are a result of flawed engineering when it comes to operating the aircraft at weights that far exceed the initial design.

Food for thought.

A350

jdec141 said:
The Louisville plane is fine. I flew it last night.

RRRaaaaannnnnccccchhhh...

Latest resources

Back