• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ptarmigan said:
All of this thread is just speculation,

Welcome to FlightInfo.

At least the speculation in this thread attempts to give the benefit of the doubt to the aircrew in this latest MD-10 incident. Usually there is a burning at the stake before the crash crew has arrived.

skiandsurf said:
If they were a passenger carrier, the FAA would have shut them down.

This is from my first post on this topic. And I still feel that if a passenger carrier had this many incidents, the FAA would shut them down.

I do not, nor do I want to work for FedEx. I have never flown a DC10, MD10, or and MD11. I do know that UAL, AA, DAL and NWA have operated some form of the -10 without ever putting one on its backside or in the water at the end of the runway.

You guys can try and blame the design of the plane till your blue in the face, but like you guys always say, "boxes dont complain". I guess they dont get scared either. But they do burn real good. EWR....MEM...MEM...

Research, please

skiandsurf -- you really need to perform a little more research

UAL lost a DC-10 in Chicago back in the 1970's for mx issues. It was a very unfortunate accident, claiming hundreds of lives.

As for AA, Cali mean anything? Little Rock? Hasn't AA had 5 hull loses in the the last 7 years? Again, very unfortuante accidents.

NWA? How about DTW.

I do not understand what your problem is with FedEx (besides sounding/acting arrogant, irascible, and ignorant).

skiandsurf said:
I do know that UAL, AA, DAL and NWA have operated some form of the -10 without ever putting one on its backside or in the water at the end of the runway.

Check your facts. Here is a link to the NTSB website with AA's DC-10 accident history.

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/Response2.asp?spage=3&x_page_size=10&sql=Y&p1=1%2F1%2F1980&p2=8%2F8%2F2006&p3=&p4=&p5=&p6=Air&p7=&p8=&p9=&p10=&p11=&p12=american+airlines&p13=&p14=&p15=&p16=ev%5Fdate&p17=Desc&p18=&p19=&p20=&p21=121&p22=&p23=&p24=dc%2D10

Look at the third page. 6/27/1985. N129AA. San Juan. Here is an excerpt from the accident report:

THE CAPT REJECTED THE TAKEOFF USING MAX BRAKING. UNABLE TO STOP
ON THE REMAINING RWY, HE ANGLED THE ACFT TO THE SAFEST AREA. THE ACFT STOPPED WITH ITS NOSE IN A LAGOON.

Here is another incident I found, not the same, but along the same lines we are talking about, gear failure:​

THE ACFT EXPERIENCED A COMPLETE TRUCK BEAM FAILURE AFTER TOUCHDOWN. METALLURGICAL EXAMINATION REVEALED A CRACK NEAR THE RIGHT REAR TRUCK PIVOT PIN LUBRICATION HOLE WHICH SHOWED PROPAGATION TO THE LOWER END OF THE GREASE HOLE ON THE MATING SURFACE. GREASE HOLE WALLS SHOWED PITTING & CORROSION. TIME INTERVALS FOR SERVICE BULLENTIN INSPECTIONS EXCEEDED THOSE RECOMMENDED BY THE MANUFACTURER.​

From 12/7/83, N103AA, Newark, NJ.

Here's another link so you can research before you post again.

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/query.asp#query_start

I don't mind disputing with other people. I just don't like it when people say things when they have no idea what they are talking about.​

Last edited:
skiandsurf said:
This is from my first post on this topic. And I still feel that if a passenger carrier had this many incidents, the FAA would shut them down.

I do not, nor do I want to work for FedEx. I have never flown a DC10, MD10, or and MD11. I do know that UAL, AA, DAL and NWA have operated some form of the -10 without ever putting one on its backside or in the water at the end of the runway

AA did, in fact, put at least a couple of DC-10's to rest... One in the 1970s in ORD, and one in the 1990's in DFW (non-fatal)... And does Sioux City ring a bell? The list goes on...

As for your statement about passenger carrier incidents, again, I think you're wrong. AA has had an abysmal safety record in the last 10-12 years, and in the 1990's it seemed like everytime I looked, USAir had one in the drink or in a field, yet both carriers are still operating. Accidents happen, pilot error happens... FedEx is just having some bad luck lately, but I'm certain that'll change.

I looked at the "incident reports", didnt find that AA put one on its back. Also didnt find one burning on the runway due to a hard landing. ( did find a hard landing where tha captain died on landing and the FO and FA steered it to the gate.....no fire).

You guys (and gal) can defend your safety record all day long, but if ASA or Mesa or Comair or Airwis or ********************taugua or Shuttle America or Trans States or Skywest or.................... you get the idea. If they were doing this, 2 in 2 days, you guys would be running to your company saying, "we are not going to be deadheading on XYZ commuter airlines till they get there house in order".

Am I right about that? ......and be honest.

skiandsurf said:
I looked at the "incident reports", didnt find that AA put one on its back. Also didnt find one burning on the runway due to a hard landing. ( did find a hard landing where tha captain died on landing and the FO and FA steered it to the gate.....no fire).

You guys (and gal) can defend your safety record all day long, but if ASA or Mesa or Comair or Airwis or ********************taugua or Shuttle America or Trans States or Skywest or.................... you get the idea. If they were doing this, 2 in 2 days, you guys would be running to your company saying, "we are not going to be deadheading on XYZ commuter airlines till they get there house in order".

Am I right about that? ......and be honest.

be honest, you're wrong.

FurloughedGal said:
UAL lost a DC-10 in Chicago back in the 1970's for mx issues. It was a very unfortunate accident, claiming hundreds of lives.

That was an American DC-10.

SKI...16000 hours flying time and you talk like this. Thats alot of time and/or experience around airplanes. You're either a liar or a guy who's busted a lot of check rides. I dont know anyone with more than 1500 hours that has such a simple minded view of this profession. You know what they say..."God protects fools and drunks!"

Latest resources

Back