• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I get it.

Ditto from me on Goose egg's comments.

pilotyip said:
Jet Blue does not require a degree either
If only people understood the difference between "preferred" and "required".

-------------------

-------------------

3 5 0

Last edited:
350DRIVER said:
If only people understood the difference between "preferred" and "required".
I'll take a stab at it; "required" means that you will not even get an interview unless you meet the minimum requirements (and possibly not even then.) That's why they are called requirements. "Preferred" means that, while you may get an interview, you will most likely not get a job offer unless unless you have the qualifications that the company prefers or nobody else applies. That's what companies mean by the term preferred.

Well, how'd I do?

-Goose

Last edited:
Goose Egg said:
I'll take a stab at it; "required" means that you will not even get an interview unless you meet the minimum requirements (and possibly not even then.) That's why they are called requirements. "Preferred" means that, while you may get an interview, you will most likely not get a job offer unless unless you have the qualifications that the company prefers or nobody else applies. That's what companies mean by the term preferred.

Well, how'd I do?

-Goose
Not too too bad... This is like arguing that a Mercedes 500SL (my pick) is much better than a comparable BMW series car. This argument can and will go on forever and you surely are just as entitled to your opinion as I am mine.

"Preferred" means that, while you may get an interview, you will most likely not get a job offer unless unless you have the qualifications that the company prefers or nobody else applies.
I am sure in an ideal world most companies would also like to see a few thousand hours of turbine pic time at the entry level. More experience is always better right?!?! . I think this will also soon be added to the list of "preferred" items for company X. (a tad of sarcasm injected).

I think you are getting a little caught up in this whole college degree argument. "Preferred" is what is desired, wanted, not what is required to get the job and you can bet that this can be (and is) waved based on the applicant's other qualifications, skills, flight time(s), credentials, flying experience, etc.

It is quite obvious that you take great pride in your degree as most of us do with the degree. I just don't feel that those without one will be left on the outside looking in. What is "preferred" isn't always what is "needed", this holds true in every industry not just this one.

Have a very nice Christmas and New Years,

3 5 0

ps> yip, is on a hiring board and is largely responsible for who get's hired and who doesn't so you may want to keep that in mind.. He is one of many in similar positions who understands and respects "real world" experience and places the most value on variables that mean the most.

Last edited:
I second that motion....

qmaster3 said:
Pilotyip,

Get out that bubble sextant, Air Almanac, and lets fly!!

Cheers Capt.

I am due for my annual polar crossing!!!

Community college, in-state vs. out-of state prices...

If you have residency in a state, that will make a difference in the tuition price. I attended Palomar College in San Diego North County (San Marcos). They have a good aviation department.

The San Juan College with the MESA flying connection might be about the quickest for a new pilot who is just getting started.

The trap is once you get the two-year degree and get flying, it is hard to finish up the degree while flying full time and the many changes life brings. If you are just starting college and are single, you may not care about the quality of life issues, but as you get older, pick up baggage, start making and spending money, it gets complicated.

It's all about choosing the path that is right for you.

350DRIVER said:
I think you are getting a little caught up in this whole college degree argument. "Preferred" is what is desired, wanted, not what is required to get the job and you can bet that this can be (and is) waved based on the applicant's other qualifications, skills, flight time(s), credentials, flying experience, etc.
You are probably right, and I'm gonna give it a rest here in a minute. There is one thing that I can't quite resolve though, and that is that a young, impressionable guy like me is getting some severely crossed signals from the more experienced members of the forum.

On one hand, you have some folks that say that one should forget about college and focus on flying (well, too late for me, but no regrets.) On the other hand you have people insisting that a BS in Aviation is inadequate in the "real" world, and that preparations should be made for a "plan B" career.

In other words, it seems like some people feel that flying jobs are so easy to come by that any type of post-secondary education (other than flying itself) is a complete waste of time, while others feel that a career in flying is so tenuous that some sort of alternate career plan is absolutely required.

Well, which one is it then? 350? Yip? Bobby? Buhler? Anyone?

-Goose

Last edited:
goose egg,

Everyone's opinions on this board are just that - opinions. The opinions are influenced by each individual's personal experiences with the subject. So, likely, you'll get several different responses just because you are asking a wide cross-section of pilots an answer that has more than one answer. A successful career to one pilot might mean making captain on a King Air for a charter operation, or being hired at a small regional airline like Piedmont. In that case, the argument might be against getting a degree because that particular pilot did not find the need to get a degree to make it where he is now. Maybe a poster hires for a cargo company and doesn't let whether the candidate has a degree or not influence his hiring decision. In that case, if working on-demand frieght is your idea of success, then there is no reason to get the degree. If your idea of success is getting in line with other equally-qualified pilots for a job where all the other applicants have a degree, then you'd better have the degree or you are no longer "competitive". So, define what success is to you, then make your decision from there.

For me, personally, education was important. I did my first degree not because they would help me get a job, but because at the high school I attended it was a natural progression to attain a certain level of education. My second one was purely for fun and to learn more about certain subjects. Yes, learning is fun for me.

If you want professional assistance with your question, I'd suggest calling a career counselor that specializes in pilot hiring. Maybe someone like Lori Clark www.flytheline.com.

Last edited:
Well, I'll take a stab.

1) I've never met anyone who regretted getting their degree. Aside from your 'marketability', theoretically, you'll learn some stuff as well. I did, and it has served me well in my professional life as well as my personal.

2) Get the degree when you're young, and life is simpler. I know many people in their 30's and 40's trying to get their degree, while attending to life's other complexities - kids, homes, careers, etc. Getting your degree when you're older is alot harder, and don't bite on the tempting illusion that you can "just get it later." You'll regret that.

3) Whether it be the aviation industry or any other.. a degree makes you a more attractive candidate.. period. The degree not only represents book knowledge, but also that you're someone able to commit to something that is long term, challenging, and that requires hard work. To present this with all you're flying experience only improves your image.

4) A degree will open doors for you - in aviation or otherwise. It will not shut them. Regardless of your career, you'll typically always be competing with people who have their degree. Get it, learn something in the process, and you'll never regret it.

Goose Egg said:
You are probably right, and I'm gonna give it a rest here in a minute. There is one thing that I can't quite resolve though, and that is that a young, impressionable guy like me is getting some severely crossed signals from the more experienced members of the forum.

On one hand, you have some folks that say that one should forget about college and focus on flying (well, too late for me, but no regrets.) On the other hand you have people insisting that a BS in Aviation is inadequate in the "real" world, and that preparations should be made for a "plan B" career.

In other words, it seems like some people feel that flying jobs are so easy to come by that any type of post-secondary education (other than flying itself) is a complete waste of time, while others feel that a career in flying is so tenuous that some sort of alternate career plan is absolutely required.

Well, which one is it then? 350? Yip? Bobby? Buhler? Anyone?

-Goose
Goose,

I don't think it is a case of right versus wrong, it is merely one person's opinion versus another. You have the degree so why worry?. Regardless of this argument you will not have to concerned about this when it comes time for you to interview so the point is somewhat moot.

I wouldn't say that flying jobs are "so easy to come by" but I also wouldn't say that the four year degree is a "must" have to be able to obtain success/employment within this industry or others out there. Some folks don't have the time, financial means, etc, to be able to get the degree and they seem to end up doing alright when all is said and done.

Does it hurt to have the degree?. Absolutely not and if anything it is quite beneficial to have one should a person get ousted from a flying position. We all are one medical bust away from having to look for different employment opportunities. This is one of the main reasons why so many get the degree in a different field so they have a "plan B" or back up plan should something misfire that is beyond their control.

The main point I think yip, others, and myself are trying to make is that other variables are just as important as the degree such as experience, flight time(s), background, etc, etc.

3 5 0

Latest resources

Back