Going to FL180 in a few hours

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Jungle Prop said:
This is fascinating, I'm going to 8,000 tonight. Wish me luck.

whhaaaaa? Are you mad! You should never be so low in an RJ!!!! You are gonna get us all killed!

rumpletumbler said:
Its fun to rig a Tomahawk with about 6 JATO pods and climb to the service ceiling without oxygen. Trim the aircraft for what you know to be about a 60kt glide. Then pretend you are Chuck Yaeger and light them all and point it straight up. Hold your breath so you won't pass out. Once you hit about FL350 level the wings and then gasp for air till you pass out. Sometimes it takes a few tries to get it so that you wake up before surface contact is made but thats half the fun.
heh heh, i really found this funny!

P.S. TGates said 'hole' :D

Jungle Prop said:
This is fascinating, I'm going to 8,000 tonight. Wish me luck.

I feel sorry for you....you're going to 8,000', I'm going a few blocks to the bar.

how long can you hold your breath..............
why would you be going that high with out a pressurized a/c
and do you have a way to know if you lose your oxygen and besides when was the last time you went to the rapid decompression chamber
can you recognize the symptoms of lack of oxygen

I doubt if you'll be encountering any Commanches up there, even if Flyin Tony remembers to lean the mixture!

And before you start throwing stones, why are you planning on going up to FL470? Just because you can? Going westbound you should be able to stay out of the winds in the high 30s/ low 40s.
Do you know what your TOC is at 47,000'? About seven seconds. Think that's enough time for the CEO and his secretary to get their masks on?

Ahh i'll explain it slooowly. Getting hot here on the east coast my runway hog of a plane eats up a lot of runway fat on fuel. So we runway limited not weight limited. Remember we don't fly out of a 10,000 foot strip with an ils and ground agents.

We initally climb to 450 to burn some fuel and check it out if we can make it. Low 30's? Are you kidding no way we're doing .90 and sucking fuel. Low 40's then we're not going to quite make it and we're still overunning people. See explanation above.

So we go high where the plane likes to fly and we burn less fuel and get direct because we're in nobodys way.

Another tidbit the dixie cup masks in the back work only to FL250 so that doesn't help them at all. Oh and it's wayyyy less than 7 seconds.

Diesel said:
Another tidbit the dixie cup masks in the back work only to FL250 so that doesn't help them at all. Oh and it's wayyyy less than 7 seconds.

Interesting. Being an ignorant one who has not yet taken an altitude chamber ride, I am curious about Time of useful conciousness... Why the heck is it much less than 7 seconds? If I exhale with all my might here at sea level - and hold it - without inhaling first - I have no trouble typing a sentence or two here... takes quite a bit longer than 7 seconds. Does the ambient pressure at 470 really 'suck' the O2 out of you that quickly?

So all those companies that sell thousands of oxygen systems to owners of light aircraft every year... are bogus?

GMAB!!

FL 450 9-15seconds
FL 500 6-9 seconds
data from flightsafety

I do believe it would be a lot less. An explosive decompression would pull all the air out of your lungs plus the shock of it hapening would shorten your time available

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back