• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Going to FL180 in a few hours

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I took a 172SP up to 14500 over F70 with a student one time, let the engine cool down, shut the engine down, stopped the prop... wee hoo!!! I think I probably could have gone higher, it still had a pretty good climb rate... when the engine was running that is :)

mattpilot said:
Hey.. i went to 11.5 in a 172 solo on a long XC. It was fun.

You guys really are pathetic.

The poster wants to fly his airplane, is taking the necesary precautions, and asked a legitimate question. Instead of geting useful information, you call him nuts.

What is so magical about climbing to FL180 that will cause an airplane to "rain down in pieces?" What is so terrible about being at 180 in an unpressurized airplane?

We climb to 180 in unpressurized aircraft to jump all the time. I've been there in normally aspirated aircraft just the same, and imagine that...they didn't come tumbling down or fall from the sky in pieces. What melodramatic crap.

As far as being a roadblock, are you all really so arrogant as to think you own the sky? What pathetic egos, really.

Nothing magical takes place at FL180. Carry your oxygen, remember that while a nasal cannula may be legal, it's a poor delivery device and can only flow 6 litres per minute, and doesn't provide pressure delivery. Remember that even with your cannula, extended periods spent at FL180 and higher will still eventually lead to hypoxia. You may also find that inadequate engine cooling may be available at the absolute ceiling for your airplane, due to inadequate airflow through the cowl inlets. Watch your engine temps.

Don't listen to some of these pea-brained drama queens who think adventure is flying Vref plus one knot, that master airmanship is engaging the autopilot, or that they own they sky. Newsflash...THEY DON'T!!!

Have ball.

Diesel said:
By the way let me know where your going to be. We're headed to the west coast from the east coast today at FL470 and i don't want parts of your plane coming down ontop of anyone else in the climb.

Your nucking futs.

I doubt if you'll be encountering any Commanches up there, even if Flyin Tony remembers to lean the mixture!

And before you start throwing stones, why are you planning on going up to FL470? Just because you can? Going westbound you should be able to stay out of the winds in the high 30s/ low 40s.
Do you know what your TOC is at 47,000'? About seven seconds. Think that's enough time for the CEO and his secretary to get their masks on?

Why not go.....

Why not go to 18k in a Comanche? I personally would rather spend the time and fuel going for a $100.00 burger.

But hey, it beats being stuck on the ground all day plus the view is amazing.

Goodluck

Its fun to rig a Tomahawk with about 6 JATO pods and climb to the service ceiling without oxygen. Trim the aircraft for what you know to be about a 60kt glide. Then pretend you are Chuck Yaeger and light them all and point it straight up. Hold your breath so you won't pass out. Once you hit about FL350 level the wings and then gasp for air till you pass out. Sometimes it takes a few tries to get it so that you wake up before surface contact is made but thats half the fun.

minitour said:
two words I thought I'd never see in the same sentence...

Yeah...I did about 2 hours of spin training in one with a moron who wouldn't sign me off because I wouldn't perform them with flaps. I was suprised to see he is still alive at least as of a couple of years ago. He then passed me to his boss (another whack a doo) who went up with me and rolled the a/c into a 70 degree bank about 50 ft off the ground on final and when I leveled the wings we had a "meeting" about how I was a great pilot but shouldn't be a flight instructor. These two were responsible for my getting out of flying for about 20 years because I thought everyone was like they were. Sorry to stray from topic.

Flyin Tony said:
Well I got an O2 tank now im just getting ready to take my first trip upto FL180. Any tips?

avbug,

What would be a reason to take a Commanche up to 180?. I guess I am not seeing the point or the reasoning behind this. You are correct, it is not that big of a deal at all given the proper precautions are being taken. I guess many see 180 and Commanche in the same sentence and wonder the "why" behind this as I do.

I have to agree with avbug... just cuz this guy isn't in a turbine or pressurized aircraft doesn't mean he has no place using an aircraft within its envelope. A turbocharger safely extends the operating altitude of many light aircraft into areas that let them avoid more weather or take advantage of more favorable winds.. I just don't get how you guys think this fellow is nuts?

I took a turbo arrow IV to 15K once and it wanted to keep on climbing (the only decent arrow IMO)... the book's performance data gave maximum TAS in that aircraft at 17K. Is that nuts?

A good friend has a turbo Mooney 201 that he routinely takes up to 180/200, sucking O2, as he cruises across the country on autopilot, IFR of course, taking advantage of serious tailwinds.

And further, if you do any amount of flying out west going that high isn't that big of a deal in the right airplane; if the terrain is 10-13k you are just barely (if at all) putting yourself out of turbulence.

Also for what its worth, the traumahawk with a good engine will motor right up to 11.5, at max weight :)

While on this topic I have a hypoxia question for you mens/girleys. I got hypoxia once on an a/c and no one else had it. I was the only smoker btw. We were at FL270 and I started feeeling fony. I sed..."ahhh feeeel fony" haha...and the captain handed me the oxygen mask. I put it on and it was like I could feel all the blood going back into my face. Spoooooooooky. About that same time the annunciator dinged a 12,500 cabin. I don't know what the cabin was actually at because for whatever reason I didn't look at the gauge. It was over in front of the left seat and hard to see. The captain nor the pax had any ill effects and after 15 minutes or so we descended. I suppose it you go on the information in what you study that I was probably at around 20,000 ft. I regularly go to 7 or so without issue so it would kind of be interesting to see where I actually start to get hypoxia but there is no pressure chamber in Georgia that I'm aware of. Anyone else had a similar experience?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back