goat-tee in JetBlue?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Individuality....

I think Goatees are pretty cool. It is ok to be an individual.

I am willing to go ahead and express my individuality. I think the most appropriate way to do it would be to bash Instructordude's head in with a shovel.

-What a loser!

The whole " no facial hair " has nothing to do with looking professional, it had to do with O2 masks....guess what, times have changed just like the O2 masks.
Wasn't there threads about hats and looking professional? Now a lot of airlines are doing away with them. Leather jackets and looking professional? Most airlines have them too.

I thought so too but there are plenty of Lufthansa and SAS captains walking around looking like Captain Smith of the Titanic....

Supposedly, the earring was to pay for a sailor's burial on land instead of at sea. The ponytail was to aid in pulling an overboard crewmember out of the water.

I seem to recall the defining statement when I was at the airlines. It went something like this.

Right Ear..Buccaneer, Left Ear, Fu...n Queer. I would always them confused so I was really weary of anyone with ear rings period. Ear ring and a goatee. No way!

My O2 mask says, "Beards Will Not Seal" - pretty much says it all.

I don't care what kind of bag the guy totes, but we've got some wannabe Shaggies on the line that think they look good with goatees and long hair. Maybe the new JB union will be able to influence our professional standards down the line.

Where do we draw the line? FWIW, I've seen way more fat bastards - both guys and gals - in our goofy blue get-ups than I have dudes with goatees.

To me, someone who is overweight looks far more unprofessional than someone with some goofy facial hair.

All you holier than thou types who think you know what "professional" is or isn't for THIS industry really need to get a life. It's way to subjective a term for anybody to be right or wrong about appearances or traveling accessories, etc. so live and let live already. :beer:

Not only do the goat-tees look unprofessional, but I had a Jetblue captain address me as Dude! Very disrespectful. I would never dream of saying Hey Dude, to another pilot. Am I just getting old? Also, I forgot that everything is Awesome these days. I used to just use that word to describe the Grand Canyon. Maybe someone can address me as Captain Awesome Dude!

My O2 mask says, "Beards Will Not Seal" - pretty much says it all.

No name calling, but I do think that this does help lower the bar for pilots (as does the blue shirt).

I also thought that there was some type of restriction with the masks. How does JB get away with that limitation?

Also, do these guys, with go-tees, have any problems jumpseating on other carriers?

I can live with the goatees, but we have some dudes with "flavor-savors." It's hard to take a guy seriously with one of those. They look gay.

No name calling, but I do think that this does help lower the bar for pilots (as does the blue shirt).

I also thought that there was some type of restriction with the masks. How does JB get away with that limitation?

Also, do these guys, with go-tees, have any problems jumpseating on other carriers?

Not sure I agree completely about the blue shirts. The problem isn't necessarily the blue shirts in and of themselves, it's the fact that the airport ops people and flight attendants look the same as the pilots.

As for the masks, I had an FAA inspector ask about it while on the jumpseat about 7 years ago, but there is no specific rule he could quote that would be enforceable. Now, if someone asphyxiates on smoke because of a goatee or beard, then the rule will get written, right?

Here's the big question, did the guys with goatees have the chutzpah to come to their interviews with goatees, or did they grow them after they put on their best "professional" face to make a good impression?

Latest resources

Back