Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

go! New Mesa Hawaii airline gets a name!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
spitfire1500 said:
It is to be staffed by Mesa pilots......but no one is bidding it!!

thats strange. the bid awards that i saw had them fully staffed. in fact some of the domiciles went fairly senior. i know a 2 year FO you is barely in the top 50% in one of the bases

spitfire1500 said:
It is to be staffed by Mesa pilots......but no one is bidding it!!

Well I have the mesa award right here, I know 7 Cap's in the HNL base, 1 in ITO, two in KOA, and one in LIH. I don't know any of the FO's but the bottom of the FO list looks like a guy with less than 6 months seniority.

The #1 senior guy in Honolulu has about 6 years total seniority at Mesa, so the flying is going kind of junior. Not too many people at Mesa figure they can make it out in Hawaii and they are right. This is no place to come and try f-in around. The guys that I know from my chequered past already know its "all G with me". The rest of you are on your own. I'm sure some of you are nice guys and all but I got enough friends already. Good luck.

EMB Skillz said:
Does anybody know what the hiring minimums are?

1000 TT
100 AMEL
Company Recommendations helpful but not required.

Junkflyer said:
Does anybody know what the hiring minimums are?

A set of knee pads and box of KY jelly.

Those are standard issue with an regional job. :D

mdanno808 said:
For the Mesa guys: WTF? Mesa is advertising that they are hiring pilots for the Hawaii operation. I thought you guys had made sure it was going to be staffed with Mesa pilots, and that there were enough volunteers to staff "GO Airlines"?​
The pilots flying the go! routes will be Mesa ALPA members. We have scope protection.

JD

Otto Coarsen said:
I don't mean to rip on you twice in one day, but this is a quote of one of your recent posts:

-------------------------------------------------------------------
$$$4nothin vbmenu_register("postmenu_926828", true);

Civ/Mil: Civ
A/C Flown: enough, PA-31, BE-58, EMB-145
Ratings: CFI CFII MEI
Curr Position: Under Paid
Total Time: 3000

Taxes
I made about $25,000 last year, had the normal deduction amount, and had $2800 taken from me over the year. Turbo Tax is saying that I am only getting $350 back. That seems pretty low to me. Does this sound normal to everyone.
Thanks for the feedback

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ummm.... A whopping whole $25 grand! wow! I'm glad to see you are doing SOOOOO much better than the Mesa pilots..

Mesa has several pilots at the top of the list making 104 per hour with a 70 hour/13 bid guarantee. That isn't great but it isn't too bad either.

70(base pay in hours)x13(28 day bids)= 910 hours at $104 = 94,640. If you include per diem it is about 97,890 per year. If you're an IOE captain on the CRJ 900, you have the possibility to make 113,568 plus per diem - best case.

Additional news, Mesa just elected an entirely new MEC. It will be interesting to see where this new leadership will take Mesa Pilots in their next round of contract negotiations. We all know the last contract was a joke. However, we did secure scope protection. We have a long way to go on QOL issues and believe me, I think those issues will be addressed as well as the salary issues. As much as many of you hate "Mesa", I must say that this group of pilots is committed to making life better as soon as we can. It will take some time but now, with one unified pilot list and scope protections, it should be a much stronger voice when the negotiations begin on the amendable date.

JD

bustinmins said:
Mesa has several pilots at the top of the list making 104 per hour with a 70 hour/13 bid guarantee. That isn't great but it isn't too bad either.

70(base pay in hours)x13(28 day bids)= 910 hours at $104 = 94,640. If you include per diem it is about 97,890 per year. If you're an IOE captain on the CRJ 900, you have the possibility to make 113,568 plus per diem - best case.

Additional news, Mesa just elected an entirely new MEC. It will be interesting to see where this new leadership will take Mesa Pilots in their next round of contract negotiations. We all know the last contract was a joke. However, we did secure scope protection. We have a long way to go on QOL issues and believe me, I think those issues will be addressed as well as the salary issues. As much as many of you hate "Mesa", I must say that this group of pilots is committed to making life better as soon as we can. It will take some time but now, with one unified pilot list and scope protections, it should be a much stronger voice when the negotiations begin on the amendable date.

JD

If you like math so much JD, don't forget AQ & HAL both have 6 minute landing credits for all the inter-island flying. 80 hours a month just wont be the same without it. Thats 6 minutes of PAY for every landing.

After a day with 8 legs, your landing credits equal 48 minutes of pay. In one of your 28 day bids you can figure out the rest of the math.
I don't really care about the go! pilots coming out here, WTF, it's just a job right? If mesa actually is sucessful at getting through the gates all I expect from the go! pilots is they DEMAND the 6 minute landing credit for the low segment time, Hawaii inter-island flying. They should already be asking for it.

I can guarantee everybody if our mgmts have to come back to the pilots for the 6 minute credit as a concession to more effectively battle mesa we all might not be so welcoming anymore.

islandhopper said:
If you like math so much JD, don't forget AQ & HAL both have 6 minute landing credits for all the inter-island flying. 80 hours a month just wont be the same without it. Thats 6 minutes of PAY for every landing.

Interesting! I appreciate your insight. I certainly hope you don't have to concede that item in negotiations. Personally, I don't know what our odds are in the islands but I think they are quite small. If it was up to me, we'd be expanding some where on the mainland. Mesa pay is peanuts to what the cost of living is out there. Most of the pilots and flight attendants that have accepted the position are those really really junior people with no strings and no qualms about living with twenty other twenty-something people.

They are still Mesa pilots on the Mesa ALPA pilots list. They aren't a rogue internal airline like the old Freedumb certificate. We still have that certificate by the way and it is being operated by ALPA pilots now. Thus please don't hold anything against the new Freedom pilots because all of them sided with ALPA in our last negotiations.

With that said, I hope you don't hold Mesa pilots accountable for what their management team is doing. I certainly don't deny jumpseats to those carriers whom I deem a threat to my career. I might do that to a non-alpa rogue airline(read: Go Jet) but I'd never turn down a jumpseater from another airline that is qualified.

Mesa pilots are just doing the job assigned as you are. The company is certainly a threat to your current market but I don't know how committed we are to serving the area. We'll soon see. Personally, I give us one chance in three. I think there might be some ego involved with managements decision to attack that market and a vendetta is never a good way start to anything.

With that said, I wish you the very best down there. You certainly have a nice place to work! I am based in O'Hare - enough said there.

You take care and make it a good week! Have one for me!

JD

bustinmins said:
They are still Mesa pilots on the Mesa ALPA pilots list. They aren't a rogue internal airline like the old Freedumb certificate. We still have that certificate by the way and it is being operated by ALPA pilots now. Thus please don't hold anything against the new Freedom pilots because all of them sided with ALPA in our last negotiations.

I got that list too.

Rogue Internal Airline? Har har, that's rich. Last time I checked, large investment groups start airlines, not pilots, and they don't need any pilots permission to do so. I find your labeling of any airline as "rogue" silly.

Going to Hawaii on the GO! operation is financial suicide, but if I went, I sure wouldn't really worry about jumpseat problems. Mesa has interline agreements with Hawaiian for $50 bucks one way to the mainland; USAir/AmWest runs lots of flights to PHX and the ones to LAS are pretty much empty . . . . cheap enough to just buy the darn ticket for the semi-annual trip to homeland.

Latest resources

Back