• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

GO Jet

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
They lost their jobs because the Captain denied boarding to a passenger flying on a non-rev pass simply because he worked for GJ (he stated so before the passenger even boarded). Rumor has it that the Captain wasn't a very sharp individual.

Dress code? Sounds like more TSA MEC lies.

fuelflow said:
Dress code? Sounds like more TSA MEC lies.

You know you sound like Baghdad Bob with all that spin, right?

"There is no truth to the imperialist ALPA lies. There is no ALPA at HoJets."

"Word on the street" is the Captain is the final authority for anybody on his or her aircraft, at least according to the FAA, and I'm not sure they would appreciate the company taking punitive action against the Captain, usurping his authority. A certain cargo carrier went through a similar event a few weeks ago and the FAA got involved regarding captain's authority.

Spin? And you know all this how? Don't you swing gear for some corporate outfit?I'm on the ground floor, and I know enough people at both places to understand what's going on. If you want to blindly follow their lies, go ahead.

Denying passage to non-revs based upon for whom they work? That's a letter I wouldn't want to have in my file when the PRIA requests come.

This just in - - - Apparently there were three eye witnesses who said the non-rev was in a button-down shirt and dress pants. No alcohol involved, and they said he behaved like a gentleman.

The irony? He was a former American Eagle pilot / ALPA MEC sheduling committee chairman. The aircraft he was denied boarding from was a former American Eagle aircraft. Rumor is that these aircraft are still owned by AMR.

fuelflow said:
This just in - - - Apparently there were three eye witnesses who said the non-rev was in a button-down shirt and dress pants. No alcohol involved, and they said he behaved like a gentleman.

"And your interpretation of Captain's authority shows your lack of experience. Grow up."

You might want to look in the mirror the next time you say that.

Yes or No, it's just that simple,........ Captain's authority.

PtP

Fuel Flow, I think that any former ALPA officer who goes to work for an alter-ego carrier to undercut another ALPA group can be safely said to have given up any right to be called a gentleman.

Palmtree Pilot said:
"And your interpretation of Captain's authority shows your lack of experience. Grow up."

You might want to look in the mirror the next time you say that.

Yes or No, it's just that simple,........ Captain's authority.

PtP

With authority comes responsibility. You have the authority to make whatever decisions you want at the time, but if you deviate from the norm, you'll have to explain yourself at some point. If you exercise captain's authority to deviate from normal procedures during an emergency, you'll answer to the FAA. If you use your captain's authority to make decisions which affect an airline's business, you have the authority at the time, but you will answer to them for it. It doesn't matter if you work for AA, Southwest, UPS, or anywhere else.

Trust me when I say that the FAA doesn't care, TSA's MEC will lose the grievance, and this guy will learn his lesson the hard way.

BoilerUP said:
You know you sound like Baghdad Bob with all that spin, right?

"There is no truth to the imperialist ALPA lies. There is no ALPA at HoJets."

"Word on the street" is the Captain is the final authority for anybody on his or her aircraft, at least according to the FAA, and I'm not sure they would appreciate the company taking punitive action against the Captain, usurping his authority. A certain cargo carrier went through a similar event a few weeks ago and the FAA got involved regarding captain's authority.

True. However, jumpseat is a COMPANY ASSET, not Captains personal fiefdom. No one is questioning he has the right to deny anyone. But if asked BY HIS EMPLOYER AND OWNER OF THE JUMPSEAT, he better have a reason besides "I hate those guys."

Hypothetically, would you still defend a captain who denied an otherwise qualified jumpseater just because he hated blacks? He's the sole authortity, right? So if he has a hang up with <"the N-word">'s, that ok by you, right? He should be able to deny all darkies without getting in any trouble whatsoever?

He has authority. But he also has accountability for how he uses that authority. If TSA said this is unacceptable behavior, he should be disciplined.

flyer172r said:
American isn't ALPA, they're APA. And yes, GJ has a different ID than TSA.

Whatever. My point is, this whole cluster was started because a "major" airline shoved scope down a regional carriers muzzle. Then DW came around to tell the regional this was for their own good.

"Take one for the team" should be the motto for all regional ALPA affiliates.

Latest resources

Back