Global 5000 on Deck!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
fatburger said:
Does anyone know if the 5000 has options for the EVS system and paperless cockpit set up like the G450/550? Thanks.

-fatburger-
Thales plans to certify a non-cooled EVS for the Global Express and the G5000 in first quarter 2005. A paperless cockpit is not an option. The G5000 shares the same 8" inch displays used by the Global Express XRS.

The Gulfstream entry into the Dassault 7X, Global 5000 - 5,000 nm large cabin jet fray is the G500:

Planeview Cockpit with 14.1 inch Full Color Active Matrix LCD Displays

HUD with Gulfstream-Kohlsman Cooled EVS

MMO: M.885

5,100 nm @ M.85 MTOW, 8 pax. ISA, NBAA Reserves

(5,800 nm @ M.80)

Thrust: 15,385 lb. Rolls Royce BR710C4-11

MTOW: 85,100 lb. Max. fuel: 35,200 lb

Dimensions: 96.5' L, 93.5' Wingspan, 25' 10" Tail Height, Wing Area: 1136 Sq.Ft

Cabin: 43' 11"L X 6' 2" H X 7'4" W

T/ O Dist @ MTOW, ISA, SL: 5,150 ft.

LDG Dist. @ MTOW, ISA, SL: 2,770 ft.

Max Payload: 6,500 lbs.

Max Payload w/ Full Fuel: 2,300 lbs.

The Falcon 7X is expected to have very similar performance to the G500; cabin volume, baggage area and payload will be less.

DOC for the three aircraft:

G500 - $1,886 hr.

G5000 - $2,007 hr.

F7X - $1,644 hr.

Having to make a decision among these three aircraft is a great place to be.

GV

Last edited:
G500/550 Cabin volume: 1669 cu ft
7X Cabin volume: 1500 cu ft (20% more than the 900EX')

It looks like operating costs will be the only advantage of the 7X.
(I didn't study take-off/climb and landing perf though).

Valkyrie said:
G500/550 Cabin volume: 1669 cu ft
7X Cabin volume: 1500 cu ft (20% more than the 900EX')

It looks like operating costs will be the only advantage of the 7X.
(I didn't study take-off/climb and landing perf though).
The initial purchase cost will be lower on the 7X...

Falcon Capt said:
The initial purchase cost will be lower on the 7X...
Purchase Price in millions:

Gulfstream G500 - $38.00

Dassault Falcon 7X - $35.80

Bombardier G5000 - $33.50

Field Performance:

F7X:

T / O Dist: MTOW, SL, ISA - 5,200 ft.

LDG Dist. N/A - The test monsieurs at Bordeaux - Merignac haven't completed this phase of testing.

G5000:

T / O Dist: MTOW, SL, ISA - 5,000 ft.

LDG. Dist. MLW, SL, ISA - 2,700 ft.

GV

We looked at all of the above aircraft, the Falcon 7X looks like a great plane until you see the speed required to get that range. Advertised as a 5,700 NM plane at mach .80, bump it up to .85 and she drops to 4,500 NM, this from the Falcon Rep at the show. As it always goes, depends on the mission requirements. I like the G5000 or a used GXpress, fast, big, long legs, and the guys that are buying these planes are not all that concerned with fuel prices, well not as much as some. I paid over $5.00 a gallon back in the late 90s in Madrid for our thirsty GIII, ouch ! One thing is certain, a lot of buzz at the show, a trend that I welcome after all of the rosey news at the airlines.

Was reading an article about the 5000 and the center fuel tank is the same as the global but can't hold the same fuel. There is a code in the computer that keeps from filling it to the globals amount.

I found that pretty interesting.

Its great that the G5000 is on deck. The real test of its metal will be if it can take off again or have to wait on parts or repairs like the Global Express. The test should be like the X Prize, take off and do it again in 10 days. 10 day, the G5000 just might make it.:p

I wish Gulfstream would go back to Roman Numerals. I can see the confusion coming
G500 - G5000. No way to confuse G-D or G-DL (G-500, G-550 the the latin impared).:rolleyes:

Last edited:
P3-Adub said:
We looked at all of the above aircraft, the Falcon 7X looks like a great plane until you see the speed required to get that range. Advertised as a 5,700 NM plane at mach .80, bump it up to .85 and she drops to 4,500 NM, this from the Falcon Rep at the show.
I hate to be the guy that comes to Dassault's defence, but Gulfstream Sales Engineering is pretty sure that the new Falcon is going to go 5,100 nm at M 0.85.

... I like the G5000 or a used GXpress, fast, big, long legs, and the guys that are buying these planes are not all that concerned with fuel prices...
I'll give you big, the G5000 is 10" wider than the Gulfstream G500 and a ton and a half heavier, thirstier too, but fast and long legs are another matter. The Gulfstream G500 flys 300 nm farther than the Global 5000 at M 0.85 while carrying over half a ton more payload. As a matter of fact, the G5000 press release states that on their mid-July record flight from San Francisco to London (4816nm downwind) they were able to maintain M 0.85 most of the way. At M 0.85 Gulfstream guarantees the G500 to fly 5,100 nm with 8 pax. ISA, and NBAA Reserves.

M 0.89 is Mmo for the G5000 so I don't think they'll be flying lower payload missions at M 0.89 as Bombardier has repeatedly claimed. M 0.885 is Mmo for the Gulfstream, but the company prudently claims M 0.87 as High Speed Cruise (not that there is much of a drag rise above M 0.87, but who wants to listen to the Overspeed Warning with every variation in temperature or bit of turbulence that takes you momentarily beyond M 0.89?). In any event speed is relative - the G5000 is at it's fastest at 37,000 ft. Due to the aerodynamic limitations of the G5000 and it's larger sibling, the Global XRS, the Gulfstreams are faster above 43,000 ft. Not that it matters, but the Gulfstreams also accelerate and climb more quickly in that they are up to 8% lighter than the Globals, have less parasite drag and enjoy 4.5% more thrust.

If someone just had to have an airplane made by people who speak French, I think the Falcon 7X would provide better performance, more reliability and a higher level of product support than the Bombardier products and could be purchased at a similar price point.

GV

Last edited:
GVFlyer said:
I hate to be the guy that comes to Dassault's defence, but Gulfstream Sales Engineering is pretty sure that the new Falcon is going to go 5,100 nm at M 0.85.
GVFlyer, I'm glad to see there is hope after all! ;) :D

2000Flyer

Dumb newbie non-corporate-pilot question (#4, I believe):

If the G550 and G500 are so similar, and the GEX and G5000 are so similar (they sound like the only difference is smaller tankage, and a slightly shorter fuse for the G5000), where are the savings that allow those aircraft to be sold for 6-8 million less than their siblings?

Latest resources

Back