Global 5000 on Deck!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

miles otoole

Bombardier Global 5000 Captures Speed Record Flying Dublin-Las Vegas Non-stop at Mach 0.85(10/14/2004) Stretching its long legs on a record-setting flight, the Bombardier Global 5000 demonstrated, on October 11, its high-speed Mach 0.85 capability by flying 4,597 nautical miles (8,513 km) non-stop between Dublin and Las Vegas in 9 hours, 55 minutes.

The aircraft set the National Aeronautic Association (NAA) sanctioned record with a three-person crew, a 1,600-pound (726 kg) representative load equal to eight passengers, as well as a completed interior. It flew the east-to-west route against fierce headwinds and landed with adequate reserves.

'The aircraft departed Dublin at 7:31 Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) and climbed directly to 43,000 feet, then to 47,000 feet' reported Peter Boyd, senior captain, Business Aircraft, and pilot-in-command on the flight. 'Record-setting flights typically fly with tailwinds, so today's westbound flight firmly sets this aircraft apart from its competitors.'

This latest accomplishment for the Bombardier Global 5000 follows one in mid-July when the aircraft flew 4,816 nautical miles (8,919 km) non-stop with a representative load at mostly Mach 0.85 (562 mph; 904 km/h) between San Francisco and London.

I saw a Global 5000 in Las Vegas this week at NBAA. What a beautiful machine.

what is the size comparison between the 5000 and the Global Express?

I don't know the numbers, but I saw the 5000 parked next to the Global Express. It was larger, and faster. I think the 5000 was touted as a .89 mach plane.

Don't quote me though...check in with gulfstream200. I think he's flying a Global now.

From the top of my head...

Global 5000 - Length 96.75 ft. Cabin 42.5 ft Range @ M0.85 4800 nm (NBAA) MCTOW 87,700lb, Fuel 36,000ib

Global Express - length 99.42 ft. Cabin 48.33 ft Range @ M0.85 6150 nm (NBAA) MCTOW 98,000 lbs, Fuel 44,975lb

The 5000, from what i've been told is exactly the same as the express only slightly shorter and with smaller fuel tanks.

My boss has been looking at the 5000, to replace our 900ex, but I hear today, that after seeing the 7X sim at the NBAA convention he is now looking at that!

Oh well now i'm gonna have to ask what would you choose guys?

From the top of your head, eh? ;)

Ok, I stand corrected. It sure looked bigger, but, then again, I had been walking in the hot sun all day after a hangover and no sleep.

From a purely selfish standpoint, I'd go with a Falcon. I really liked the looks of the EASy cockpit setup. But, the Global Express sure looked impressive as well. Too much range, though...I'd go with something that can't go very far, like a CJ3. That way I could be home every night.

Can I have one of each? Time for me to find a sugar daddy.

From the Bombardier website regarding the Global 5000...

"Providing the widest and most spacious cabin among super-large business jets, the high-speed intercontinental Bombardier Global 5000 is capable of flying non-stop from continental Europe to central North America at Mach 0.85 with eight passengers and three crew. Designed to execute transcontinental missions at a brisk Mach 0.89 - faster than any competing jet - and offering a best-in-class balanced field length, it will fly executives and government leaders to and out of airfields closer to their point of business than any other widebody business jet."

Also off the top of my head.

The 5000 is only shorter in overall length not width. The Global Express XRS has the same physical dimensions, as both the express and the 5000 being 8.17ft wide (centerline), however it has a slightly bigger fuel tank than the express 44,975lb giving it a range of 6150nm @ M0.85 or 5450nm @ M0.87.

They all have the same wingspan of 94ft and basic wing area of 1,022ft2.

They all have those Rollys-Royce Deutschland BR710A2-20 turbofans with an impressive 14,750lb takeoff thrust.

"Oh - i've got a sore head now"

I've only been in the demonstrator express when it was here on a demo flight for my boss, but my workmates have picked over the 5000 in Vegas this week. All reports sofar have been good.

Does anyone know if the 5000 has options for the EVS system and paperless cockpit set up like the G450/550? Thanks.

-fatburger-

Latest resources

Back