glideslope interception in 121 ops

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flya380

in 121 ops when do you consider the glideslope intercepted? (I've heard when the GS is one dot above?is it true)
thanks

The PIC said:
Why would 121 be any different then anyone else? I hope your not inst. rated

It could be different because some things are different when operating under a different set of the FAR's. He asked a simple question and gets a smartass answer. I discuss on other boards scubaboard and a computer tech board and the people in here are by far the most bitter, smartass, and most unhelpful bunch.

av8er23 said:
It could be different because some things are different when operating under a different set of the FAR's. He asked a simple question and gets a smartass answer. I discuss on other boards scubaboard and a computer tech board and the people in here are by far the most bitter, smartass, and most unhelpful bunch.

Also, willfly4food.com is full of that too. I think far worse then here.

flya380 said:
in 121 ops when do you consider the glideslope intercepted? (I've heard when the GS is one dot above?is it true)
thanks

To clarify, did you mean when have you intercepted for the purpose of determing the FAF inbound on an ILS approach or possibly aircraft configuration?

Is that what you are asking?

flya380 said:
thanks

Right. It is intercepted when you are at zero deflection. But that doesn't necessary mean you can continue an approach under 121 when the weather goes below minimums.

flya380 said:
thanks

Get a life man!. Have you ever kissed a girl? Let me know when you return from the Star Trek Convention.

flya380 said:
thanks

When the FMA switches from ALT to GS, which is pretty much when the GS is centered. One dot below (or above as you are describing it) is ussually when the gear goes down, unless you intercept well outside the marker, in which case I ussually leave the gear down to the marker. That's technique, not procedure though.

A far as relevence of the question, I presume you are talking about when you are on the final approach portion of the ILS, which is the point when you intercept the gliseslope at or below the glideslope intercept altitude (where the GS feather starts on a Jeppesen approach plate). We (I) frequently intercept the GS well outside the glideslope intercept altitude rather than follow each stepdown fix (of couse careful to make sure that I cross at or above them), but technically am not considered on the final approach segment until at the glideslope intercept altitude. At that point, you are authorized to continue the approach regardless of the tower reported visability, prior to that point get ready for holding instructions.

Which leads to the next question. Can you land when the tower reported visibility is less than published minimums? You can as long as the in-flight visibility is greater than minimums. How do you determine the in-flight visibilty? Glad you asked. If you are landing on a runway with ALSF-1 or ALSF-2 approach light system with touchdown zone lights, the minimums are ussually 1800' visibility and 200' agl. If you arrive at 200' agl and can see the approach lights you can descend to 100' agl. At that point if you can see the runway environment (runway, runway lights, runway markings, threshold, threshold lights, threshold markings, VASI, touchdown zone, touchdown zone lights, touchdown zone markings, red terminating bars, or red siderow bars) you can continue to land. As long as you are on glideslope at or above 100' when you see the runway environment, you have 1800' visibility by default. If you know this you don't have to try to guess what the visibility is at a time when you should be trying to land the airplane. This also works on a 2400' visibility approach with only a MALSR or SSALR approach light system. Oviously there is no red teminating bars or red side-row bars on those systems, so the visibility has to be greater in order to see the runway environment.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back