glideslope interception in 121 ops

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Lequip said:
Get a life man!. Have you ever kissed a girl? Let me know when you return from the Star Trek Convention.

I guess you were born with all aviation knowledge, what an insult that he would ask a question that he should have known from birth, like you Mr. Aviation God.

av8er23 said:
It could be different because some things are different when operating under a different set of the FAR's. He asked a simple question and gets a smartass answer. I discuss on other boards scubaboard and a computer tech board and the people in here are by far the most bitter, smartass, and most unhelpful bunch

Lequip said:
Get a life man!. Have you ever kissed a girl? Let me know when you return from the Star Trek Convention.

Case and point.

G/S is captured when centered, you can intercept the G/S from above or below. Capture from above is not recommended though. FAF is a alt./distance. If you are legally cleared for the approach i.e. visiblity, and obtain the airport enviroment you can continue the approach belows mins, then if cleared to land and in a safe position to land, you can land.

P.S. take the bait, come on I know you want to

DrewBlows said:
A far as relevence of the question, I presume you are talking about when you are on the final approach portion of the ILS, which is the point when you intercept the gliseslope at or below the glideslope intercept altitude (where the GS feather starts on a Jeppesen approach plate). We (I) frequently intercept the GS well outside the glideslope intercept altitude rather than follow each stepdown fix (of couse careful to make sure that I cross at or above them), but technically am not considered on the final approach segment until at the glideslope intercept altitude. At that point, you are authorized to continue the approach regardless of the tower reported visability, prior to that point get ready for holding instructions.

I was under the impression (maybe mistakenly) that your FAF is glideslope intercept regardless of altitude. Please someone give me the correct info.

Smarta$$ said:
I was under the impression (maybe mistakenly) that your FAF is glideslope intercept regardless of altitude. Please someone give me the correct info.

This is Wrong! Altitude does matter. FAF for a precision approach is glideslope intercept at the altitude prescribed on the approach. Another words if ATC tells you your cleared for the ILS at 10,000 feet and you follow the glideslope, you are not at the FAF for the approach until your at the altitude prescribed on the approach chart.

Lequip said:

When is the last time you had a attractive girl you didn't pay for A-Hole!

heywatchthis said:
This is Wrong! Altitude does matter. FAF for a precision approach is glideslope intercept at the altitude prescribed on the approach. Another words if ATC tells you your cleared for the ILS at 10,000 feet and you follow the glideslope, you are not at the FAF for the approach until your at the altitude prescribed on the approach chart.

I was in an interview with ASA last month. The senior FO that was interviewing me explained that Glideslope intercept was the FAF and that the intercept altitude was JUST for timing the missed approach in case GS failure. I like your explination better but I have an interview in 2days and want to know if others have the same opinion. I know this is a question they ask on my upcoming interview and I want to know for sure. Thanks

heywatchthis said:

FAF on an ILS is lowest published altitude at glide slope intercept. SO if they clear you at 10000 feet your FAF the lowest published altitude. If they clear you below the lowest published altitude it is at whatever altitude you intercept glideslope..

BOHICAgain said:
FAF on an ILS is lowest published altitude at glide slope intercept. SO if they clear you at 10000 feet your FAF the lowest published altitude. If they clear you below the lowest published altitude it is at whatever altitude you intercept glideslope..

HUH?...................................

Jack Mehoff said:
When is the last time you had a attractive girl you didn't pay for A-Hole!

Just about an hour ago after dinner as a matter of fact. I can't count your momma since she was ugly and tried to charge me. I had none of that.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back