glideslope interception in 121 ops

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
BOHICAgain said:
FAF on an ILS is lowest published altitude at glide slope intercept. SO if they clear you at 10000 feet your FAF the lowest published altitude. If they clear you below the lowest published altitude it is at whatever altitude you intercept glideslope..

CORRECT. Better stated. "Lowest published altitude" that is on the approach chart. But if you intercept the GS below the "lowest published altitude" then that is the FAF.

RECAP!!

If you intercept ABOVE "lowest published altitude" - FAF is once your at the Lowest published altitude.

If you intercept AT "lowest published altitude" - That is the FAF.

If you intercept BELOW "lowest published altitude" - That is the FAF.

The FO in the interview is wrong or you misunderstood him.

Smarta$$ said:
Alright, thanks guys. Is the lowest published altitude the lightning bolt line on Jepp plates?

There is no Lightning bolt on Jepps. I think that is NOAA!

Are you thinking of the Maltese cross?

Its the lowest altitude the approach allows you to go to intercept the GS. Look for the Maltese Cross!

heywatchthis said:
This is Wrong! Altitude does matter. FAF for a precision approach is glideslope intercept at the altitude prescribed on the approach. Another words if ATC tells you your cleared for the ILS at 10,000 feet and you follow the glideslope, you are not at the FAF for the approach until your at the altitude prescribed on the approach chart.

Agreed....just look for the Moltese Cross

Smarta$$ said:
I was in an interview with ASA last month. The senior FO that was interviewing me explained that Glideslope intercept was the FAF and that the intercept altitude was JUST for timing the missed approach in case GS failure. I like your explination better but I have an interview in 2days and want to know if others have the same opinion. I know this is a question they ask on my upcoming interview and I want to know for sure. Thanks
BTW FWIW.....In recurrent this morning, our system chief pilot was in talking about issues with us. Somewhere in the mix, he mentioned there will be no more new-hire classes. The last class started on November 14th. Just thought you'd like to know that in case you were holding your breathe for a quick class date here. He said Skywest had stopeed all classes for now as well. Since there are no a/c coming on property at this very moment, they aren't hiring. Good Luck.

Smarta$$ said:
Alright, thanks guys. Is the lowest published altitude the lightning bolt line on Jepp plates?

I don't have a plate in front of me but look at yours, I think it is where the feather ends (or begins, depending how you look at it). I think the lightning bolt is on the government charts.

Carefull there, the Maltese cross is the non precission, Loc only, FAF, it has nothing to do with a full ILS. As has been stated before the FAF on an ILS is the published altitude, so you're looking for a number, not a symbol.

Ils?!?!

If I have to use an ILS on a 121 flight, I'm not going. That means there's weather at my destination. "I don't do weather."

(I love that quote.)

Lequip said:
Just about an hour ago after dinner as a matter of fact. I can't count your momma since she was ugly and tried to charge me. I had none of that.

Yeah she told me she would have done a FAT A$$ loser like you for a sypmathy F__K. When she saw the size of you side stick she figured it was a waste of time. She said she doest do small favors lil man

you are a joke, BTW your daughter could suck start a leaf blower, what a pro.

Lequip said:
Just about an hour ago after dinner as a matter of fact. I can't count your momma since she was ugly and tried to charge me. I had none of that.

Hey lequip - Your quips are ridiculous. I'd bet everyone here would agree that you're not helping.

Let me put it in terms you might better understand - Shut your piehole.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back