• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

GIV vs. Falcon 900B

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I will need to look up exact #s but my longest leg was 8:43 held low for awhile and then fl 410, after about 4 or 5 hours allowed to 450 at .80.
I use 4400 the first hour, then 8000,11000,14000 17000,20000,21000,24000 burned. These are conservative burns but fairly accurate. Will hold @30000#. Another formula used is for flights over 3 hours, figure 3500# per hour. We can come off a 5400 foot strip and go from the Vineyard to London if I remember right, but we are temp limited. I will look it up.

I have never flown a Gulfstream, but after flying the DA-900B for a few years, why would I want to?

I did a lot of research a few years ago comparing the Falcon 900EX versus the G-IVSP. We (the boss) decided to purchase the 900EX. We flew both aircraft from Aspen-Oklahoma City Wiley Post Airport-London Luton and return via the same routing except for stopping for customs at Bangor Maine.

Bottom line for choosing the 900EX was that it outperforms the G-IVSP out of Aspen where the boss lived.

Other contributing factors were;

1. Foward galley. I know you can have a foward galley in the G-IV, but it will cost more.

2. Three engines. As we were planing considerable Pacific operations the boss wanted three engines, and as an old 72 driver I couldn't argue that point.

3. Wider passenger cabin.

I flew both aircraft and to be honest the Falcon flies a lot nicer than the G-IV does. However, this was not a contributing factor, the boss didn't care which aircraft flew nicer.

Now on maximum long range missions the G-IV is faster than the 900EX, but you pay for that with higher operating cost.

Do not get me wrong here, the G-IVSP is a hell of an airplane, no doubt. I would have been very happy to have bought and operated the Gulfstream.

But, the bottom line is that the Falcon 900EX just does a better job regarding 'high and hot' airports than the G-IVSP.

One more point, this was before the EAsy Cockpit became standard on the 900.

Good luck, you'll enjoy flying either aircraft.

Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Last edited:
One More Advantage

The 900 is also a true Cat C airplane. (Yeah I know you can buy the placard for the G-IV) May not mean much to most but for those of us who go into KASE on a regular basis its a great benefit. Also, circling to 33 (for winds IN VMC ONLY) would get my blood pressure up pretty high in a G-IV, in the 900 it's only slightly elevated.

I did a lot of research a few years ago comparing the Falcon 900EX versus the G-IVSP. We (the boss) decided to purchase the 900EX. We flew both aircraft from Aspen-Oklahoma City Wiley Post Airport-London Luton and return via the same routing except for stopping for customs at Bangor Maine.

Bottom line for choosing the 900EX was that it outperforms the G-IVSP out of Aspen where the boss lived.

You wouldn't have had to fly 'em both to determine that. A Dassault three-holer will always out-perform a twin out of ASE. The gradient rules change, and when you're asked to play the game when you loose 33 percent of your thrust vs. 50 percent of your thrust, I believe the former will win.

You wouldn't have had to fly 'em both to determine that. A Dassault three-holer will always out-perform a twin out of ASE. The gradient rules change, and when you're asked to play the game when you loose 33 percent of your thrust vs. 50 percent of your thrust, I believe the former will win.

Yeah, I kind of knew that with 7,000 hours in 727s.;)

Ya got the 2.4 vs the 2.7 climb thingy as well.:beer:

But hey, it was an excuse to fly a G-IV.

3 engines vs 2?

My boss asked the question about the 900 and 3 engines once.

I asked him, "would you rather have 2 Rolls Royce's in you garage or 3 Chevy's"? He looked at me a little perplexed and answered, "2 Rolls Royces of course".

I answered, "then why would you fly around with 3 Chevy's on the back of you aircraft"?

He smiled.

The reliability of the R/R Tay vs the Garrett grenade (especially out of ASE) is something most folks forget when they make the comparison. What's the TBO on the old Grenade's? The last time I checked the Tay was 4000 hr hot sections and 8000 hour overhauls.

It's hard, really hard to find a guy who has ever lost an engine on a Gulfstream. When it comes to a Falcon, we all know a guy who has lost an engine on a Falcon.

I rest my case.

I never lost an engine on a Falcon. Every time I landed I would go out and count them and they were all still there. :p

However, "If it ain't a Boeing, I ain't going!"

I rest my case, so there.:beer:

Last edited:
3 engines vs 2?

My boss asked the question about the 900 and 3 engines once.

I asked him, "would you rather have 2 Rolls Royce's in you garage or 3 Chevy's"? He looked at me a little perplexed and answered, "2 Rolls Royces of course".

I answered, "then why would you fly around with 3 Chevy's on the back of you aircraft"?

He smiled.

The reliability of the R/R Tay vs the Garrett grenade (especially out of ASE) is something most folks forget when they make the comparison. What's the TBO on the old Grenade's? The last time I checked the Tay was 4000 hr hot sections and 8000 hour overhauls.

It's hard, really hard to find a guy who has ever lost an engine on a Gulfstream. When it comes to a Falcon, we all know a guy who has lost an engine on a Falcon.

I rest my case.

Well said!!!
I know a guy that got stuck in a Gulfstream cause the apu went out... What do you do then when your in BFE and that happens...?
Seriously though... I would like to fly the GIV. I think either airplane will do us great... But I think the boss is leaning more towards the 900.. Me personally I really don't care either way... Except for the fact that Ive never flown a GIV and I would like to... I think that the new Gulfstreams are the best looking airplanes on the ramp... Atleast until the 7X gets here...

Latest resources

Back