• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

GIII AC vs DC

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What's the difference in GIV and GIII fuel burn numbers and anybody got any answers on the AC vs DC deal?

The G-III fuel burn numbers you were given are about right. Hourly burns for the G-IV are 3700, 2900, 2900, 2800, 2800, 2700, 2700, 2600, 2600, 2500.

I suspect the "AC" G-IIIs have a higher re-sale value than the "DC IIIs" (be careful, the uninitiated might think you're talking about a real airplane-as in Douglas- when you refer to them that way). All other things being equal, of course.

The "DC" G-III electrical system has more redundancy than the "AC" system. You just have to pay a little closer attention in initial ground school for a "DC" G-III because it is a more complicated and less automated electrical system. If you have a problem with either system, though, just follow the QRH and you will be fine.

You will like the airplane. The handling is less than sprightly but it is an honest, strait-forward aiplane that is built like a tank and has adequate power. [One thing that sets Gulfstream apart from other O.E.M.s is the fact that the last serial number of a model they deliver has engines with exactly the same amount of thrust that serial number one had.] Besides, any airplane that makes that much noise and produces all that black smoke on departure must be good.

Last edited:
Alright guys,

We have decided to pursue a GIII. My question is should we get an AC or DC bird? Does it matter, why or why not? Also does anyone have experience with universal's glass cockpit upgrade on the GIII? What serial numbers should we be looking for? Thanks for everything
I personaly flew both the AC and DC. I think your best bet is th AC only because like someone said it's like the 4 elec panel. Very easy. As for fuel numbers conservative would be 1st 5000 2nd 4500 3rd 3500 4th and on 3000 lbs. I personally used 4500,3500 and 3000 and the numbers were usually dead on but it's been a few years...... hope that helps

I found the AC airplane to work just fine. Lost one converter in four years. All the electrical transfers worked just as they were designed to do. Made it almost a non event. Windscreens seemed to be a bigger event. Lost two and were replaced with GV units. You can plan on using about 600 gallons the first hour.
luv2flylouie's numbers pretty much matched ours.
Our cost of operation for about 220 hours a year was approximately 1.1 million. We had the EFIS 10 units and they worked fine. Replacement units were tough, but found a place in Arkansas that had plenty. It is an overall great airplane to fly and I sure miss it.

Alright guys,

We have decided to pursue a GIII. My question is should we get an AC or DC bird? Does it matter, why or why not? Also does anyone have experience with universal's glass cockpit upgrade on the GIII? What serial numbers should we be looking for? Thanks for everything

Lots of good info here.... I've flown both AC and DC too. As far as reliability from my experience, they are about the same. DC -- very solid system but not automated; more complicated to learn. AC -- simpler, easier to understand, more automated.

The DC birds came first. While DC's are very reliable, the AC system was good enough to carry over to the GIV. Good luck w/your choice. GIIIs are great jets to fly.

I do like the fact that you can run the APU in flight on the AC airplane.... AC is simpler to operate....

BUT, I really think if you truly understand the system, there is better redundancy in the DC aircraft. I have just over 1000hrs in GIIIs, pretty evenly mixed....

Day to day ops- I do prefer the AC, but not for any substantial reasons....

I prefer the AC G-IIIs. We had both at Andrews AFB. We flew them to every continent except Antarctica. Dispatch reliability was similar.

The AC G-III is a more modern airplane and they are newer. With over 500 G-IVs flying around out there with the same electrical system, spares won't be a problem.

The airborne APU is an important feature to me on the AC airplane.

If you elect to buy a DC airplane, make sure that you don't buy one with the LED strip engine indicators or if you do, replace them.

GV

Now if your going to look at the GIIIDC you should take a look a serious look at the GIIB. Its the same wing and fuel capicity (28000 lbs approx) as the GIII only 2 feet shorter. They are about 2 to 3 million less then G3 DC. Thats over 1 million per foot!

GIIB will out perform the GIII since it is lighter. Gets to altitude a little quicker and gets 200NM more range. They only converted/made 50 GIIB's. And the ones I have seen have had many upgrades. Most are between 4 to 6 million. My 2 cents.

I think the G2b is a good way to go too. IF you can stand having a bit older airplane. And with left over $$$ you can put the QTA hush kits on and still be less than a G3.

but either way im sure you'll be happy!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back